Sidearm or Not?

Brooks

WKR
I carry in the bank, in the restaurant, in the gas station, in the truck, had one on me the other night at a rodeo, carried one in the hospital to visit my sister I carry everywhere even bow hunting. Never really needed it but I like having it on me.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Archery hunting in black bear country never used to carry. Always thought it was funny to care that much cuz bears are always running away when you see them. Then I stumbled into a huge 350”fresh dead head in a black hole one day and a sow with what ended up being two cubs (didn’t know at the time) charged me 3 times before I shot her with my bow at about 15 yds. She was hyperventilating and huffing and puffing like you can’t believe. I had one last chance and took it. Shot her standing on her hind legs right in front of me. No joke. Fast forward a season opening day deer season and I shoot a bear 10 ft away from me coming straight at me with my rifle. Barely got my rifle shouldered before she came out of the brush running full sprint and I mean literally straight for me. She hesitated for a second and when I found her in the scope her head took up my entire scope. POW! I just pulled the trigger instinctively not even thinking. I was in disbelief it happened so fast. Shot her in the mouth, actually broke her two front lower teeth. (No cubs this time) Under 10 ft from me piled up. Could not believe it happened. Wrong place wrong time on that one. Just on a game trail she traveled (I think!) After I cleaned my drawers I decided I’ll be carrying my 329pd more often. FN 510 10mm for grizz country. Especially on archery hunts. I do believe I have the worst (best?!) bear luck of about anyone you know FWIW. 329pd I carry to the side of my bino rig, or on my pack hip belt, my 10 mm I pack behind my bino rig attached to the attachment rings of an AGC in a kydex holster from Hoskins. Even after all that I still hesitate to carry my sidearm though…😂 (but not in grizz country*)

Last edited:

Matt5266

WKR
Archery hunting in black bear country never used to carry. Always thought it was funny to care that much cuz bears are always running away when you see them. Then I stumbled into a huge 350”fresh dead head in a black hole one day and a sow with what ended up being two cubs (didn’t know at the time) charged me 3 times before I shot her with my bow at about 15 yds. She was hyperventilating and huffing and puffing like you can’t believe. I had one last chance and took it. Shot her standing on her hind legs right in front of me. No joke. Fast forward a season opening day deer season and I shoot a bear 10 ft away from me coming straight at me with my rifle. Barely got my rifle shouldered before she came out of the brush running full sprint and I mean literally straight for me. She hesitated for a second and when I found her in the scope her head took up my entire scope. POW! I just pulled the trigger instinctively not even thinking. I was in disbelief it happened so fast. Shot her in the mouth, actually broke her two front lower teeth. (No cubs this time) Under 10 ft from me piled up. Could not believe it happened. Wrong place wrong time on that one. Just on a game trail she traveled (I think!) After I cleaned my drawers I decided I’ll be carrying my 329pd more often. FN 510 10mm for grizz country. Especially on archery hunts. I do believe I have the worst (best?!) bear luck of about anyone you know FWIW. 329pd I carry to the side of my bino rig, or on my pack hip belt, my 10 mm I pack behind my bino rig attached to the attachment rings of an AGC in a kydex holster from Hoskins. Even after all that I still hesitate to carry my sidearm though…😂 (but not in grizz country*)
That is wild! I have always had them run the other way even when I've bumped them with in a couple yards. What state did this happen in?

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
That is wild! I have always had them run the other way even when I've bumped them with in a couple yards. What state did this happen in?
General unit central Idaho. Funny cuz one of my close hunting buddies hunts the same area a lot and never sees bears but I always see em. I like the deep heavy stuff though…

Matt5266

WKR
General unit central Idaho. Funny cuz one of my close hunting buddies hunts the same area a lot and never sees bears but I always see em. I like the deep heavy stuff though…
That's where I hunt as well. Guess I've just been lucky when I run into them

squirrel

WKR
two summers back camped by a lake and tethered the llamas . Couple was with me the guy always carries, against my advise but whatever. campfire then bed I leave my tent open so my dog can come and go if needed. 2 am she's out and I hear screams of

BEAR! BEAR! ITS COMING IN DIANE WHERES MY GUN... I CANT FIND MY GUN BEAR BEAR I PUNCHED IT ITS COMING IN.

Poor little Mackey came back in shaking and sat on my chest with a bloody nose. She went next door to snuggle.

Some people are scared of their own shadow and some people have zero business having access to a gun. Lots of them have posted on here, and every one will deny it.

Side note on the same story, next am llamas get packed and loaded up and off we go, a mile later he says hold these llamas I gotta go back to the lake. While he was gone his wife tells me he left his pistol on the log by the fire pit.

Archery in grizzly country in very narrow specific circumstances is different, returning to a kill site for instance.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you carry a sidearm when archery elk hunting in wilderness areas but not grizzly territory? And of those who do carry, have you ever actually needed it?
We are not allowed to carry a sidearm here in Italy. Last wednesday i killed a big fallow deer and i found myself in front of 5 wolves in the woods. They where looking at a chance to steal the deer from me. My 3 shot (it could be 4 chambering one and loading the mag to full capacity but i never do that) .308 was enough to scare them with a warning shot. I would have preferred to have my g19 with me though. If i could i would carry it. If i was in bear country i would carry something bigger like a G20.
Wolves here went crazy lately. Since most boars died because of the african suine fever, they are hungry and get much closer..

6.5x284

WKR
I carry a S&W 329 PD in archery no matter where. In rifle season I only carry a pistol on backpack hunts in grizz country where my rifle is clipped to my pack for days at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayboy

FNG
Never need it till you need it! Had a sow with 2 cubs walk within 15 yards of us and she had no idea. Glad I was carrying, despite the extra weight.

AndyB

WKR
We are not allowed to carry a sidearm here in Italy. Last wednesday i killed a big fallow deer and i found myself in front of 5 wolves in the woods. They where looking at a chance to steal the deer from me. My 3 shot (it could be 4 chambering one and loading the mag to full capacity but i never do that) .308 was enough to scare them with a warning shot. I would have preferred to have my g19 with me though. If i could i would carry it. If i was in bear country i would carry something bigger like a G20.
Wolves here went crazy lately. Since most boars died because of the african suine fever, they are hungry and get much closer..
ssimo, Liguria?

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Just me, but I can`t imagine going in mountains, deep woods, etc., etc. without being armed. Rather have it and not need it than vice versa. Also bear spray in bear country. Too many unknowns for me not to. I have a sister in law who`ll throw on a back pack, grab her poles and head off grid, by herself, totally unprotected. If you even remotely suggest that she consider taking a firearm, she`ll look at you like you`re from Mars!

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Been doing some reading up on the region with a view to hunting there at some point, so know it has one of the largest Apennine wolf populations.
Cool, you would love hunting here. Feel free to PM me for some tips on hunting here!

AndyB

WKR
Little Taurus 625 357 mag in Col backcountry.

I sleep better at night in my little tent.
I look at it like insurance, probably never need to make a claim if I keep a clean camp, store food away etc. It’s just part of the tool kit, not a be all and end all.

Also carry spray.