Since we love these stories

Dirtbag

WKR
That's how a neighbor of mine got caught last year, pics on FB and telling the story to anyone who'd listen.

And so much for all the mandatory minimums, which added up to about $16k and loss of license for 3 years. He paid a $150 fine and lost the $300 deposit he gave the taxidermist. :mad:
Blows my mind that judges and DA's will fight tooth and nail to ban hunting altogether but give poachers a slap on the wrist.

OP
Billy Goat
On MeatEater a long time ago they were talking about the psychology of a poacher. It was long enough ago that certainly things could have evolved. But they were talking about how serial poachers may account for something like 90% of all poaching. And that sometimes they catch these dudes and they find massive private collections in barns and such with a ton of trophies. So these dudes aren't doing it for the likes. It's like a private eff you to the establishment.

There definitely use to be some of that, and I'm sure some still to an extent. But social media has changed it I believe.

Even the guys who had staches of them would take the biggest from the year around and brag about it. 20 years ago I worked with some of them, wasn't uncommon that they would have a dozen racks in their vehicle to show off, and all from that year. Guys were brazen enough they would spot light in the parks.

It was almost part of the culture in some areas. I cussed them at the time, told them what I thought of it, but that was the end of it. I'd be turning them in left and right now.

Edit:

It's semantics, however I guess we can both be right. I'd bet most individuals poaching do it for likes, the largely single offenses. The majority of poaching that takes place is probably a much smaller group of individuals. It's the 90/10 rule.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this sort of thing seems to be too common…

Speculation appears to be building about a similar situation in OH. Discussion on a popular bow hunting forum rumor that this buck may not have been taken as represented. I have no idea of the truth but it’s a shame if it’s true, and if it’s not true then it’s a shame that speculation and rumor are so easily believed.

Afhunter1

WKR
A buddy had sent me pics of "The Prince". It certainly seems to me like it's not a case of similar deer, but the same deer(s).

And cause I know how much you filthy animals like them.
View attachment 644230

Little meme for the word challenged.
Since you brought up the walleye dude’s…..

LostArra

WKR
That's a pretty meaningless penalty to impose on a poacher.

When a judge "punishes" a poacher with loss of hunting license I'm surprised the poacher can keep a straight face leaving the court room.

My son in-law is a prosecutor (and a hunter) and used to handle "critter court". He would ask for punishment based on the recommendation of the wardens. They knew who was a dirt bag and who just made a mistake. He also said the punishment was harsher if the judge is a hunter. He really liked one female judge who is a deer hunter and was extremely rough on poachers.

One of the better cases he told me about took place I think in Oregon. An elk poacher had to spend three weeks in jail during elk season for 3 consecutive years.

One of the better cases he told me about took place I think in Oregon. An elk poacher had to spend three weeks in jail during elk season for 3 consecutive years.
There's a case to be made that would classify that as "cruel and inhuman punishment".

Although there's a lot less hunting pressure out of season. ;)

OP
Billy Goat
Does anyone know where to get that bucket hat in blaze orange?……..not asking for a friend

Osha approved version for trail maintenance.

Personally, I prefer the crusher hat.

But then there's also what should be the AVB hat...

TSAMP

WKR
Not the same suspect, but tactics toward wildlife photography seems similar..