Single shot rifle for elk?

lovelight

FNG
I'm thinking about getting a 300 win mag barrel for my single shot rifle but not sure if it's a good idea. Getting a second shot off is pretty fast but obviously not as fast as a bolt action. The rifle is also 5.5lbs w/o scope so I suspect the recoil could be a handful. My normal go to is a 13 year old Sako Finnlight in 300WSM and I really enjoy shooting it. Recoil has never bothered me with that gun so thinking I might be able to make it work with the single shot.

The obvious benefit will be a lighter rifle in the field and it's an awesomely accurate rifle with the .243 and 6.5x55SE barrels. It would also be a great memory to take an elk with that rifle. I suppose the worst case is that I reduce the loads to 30-06 speeds if I have to. My preferred bullet is the Barnes 175gr LRX so that can help keep it manageable. Curious if anyone else hunts with a lightweight single shot for elk.

I personally would rather hunt with the finnlight. That’s a sweet gun and I love the WSM. But if you think it’d be a great memory then go for it! I’d run the 175 with a full .300 mag load but get the barrel threaded and get a great muzzle break for it. Then you can practice more and make that one shot count with a hard hitting pay load in the right spot. I drew a tag this year where my grandfather hunted so I’ll be using his old model 70 .270. It certainly isn’t the best gun for the job in my safe but it’s the one that’ll make the best memories. At the end of the day that’s all hunting is about, the memories we make.

OP
L

lovelight

FNG
Agreed on the beautiful rifle. There's just something about a single shot that is so fun to shoot.

I've thought about 7mag but already have dies and components for 300 win mag for my son's rifle. I normally wouldn't let that decide but not sure if I want to start reloading for another round when powder and components are so difficult to obtain.

Agreed on the beautiful rifle. There's just something about a single shot that is so fun to shoot.

I've thought about 7mag but already have dies and components for 300 win mag for my son's rifle. I normally wouldn't let that decide but not sure if I want to start reloading for another round when powder and components are so difficult to obtain.
I agree. Definitely the time to decide rifles based off of the goods you already have. I know quite a few people right now who have rifles that they can’t get any reloading components for. Makes them pretty worth less.

If your set up for 300 I would definitely go that route. It's just that I looked for a nice No.1 for years and lucked into this one. She shoots
160 gr. Accubonds like a champ

TomJoad

WKR
No issue. First bull elk was taken with a Ruger #1 in 270win. Currently use a kimber 84m for the weight reduction but I have been planning to invest in a Blaser k95 for years and hope to be able to next season. Lightweight plus takedown is a huge benefit on backpack elk hunting. That being said 300 win mag would not be my choice, I’d take the 6.5x55 all day.

Marble

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate. Over the years I've taken more time than I used and been more successful on shots. I've also been really good about hearing protection 9 times out of 10. So I wouldn't worry about putting a brake on the gun and enjoying.

Good friend of mine who passed in 2013 had a ruger#1 in 7mm. Lots of deer and elk fell to that gun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
L

lovelight

FNG
No issue. First bull elk was taken with a Ruger #1 in 270win. Currently use a kimber 84m for the weight reduction but I have been planning to invest in a Blaser k95 for years and hope to be able to next season. Lightweight plus takedown is a huge benefit on backpack elk hunting. That being said 300 win mag would not be my choice, I’d take the 6.5x55 all day.
Shots where I will be hunting could be 400-500 yards and I wouldn't be comfortable taking a shot that far at an elk with the 6.5x55. At those ranges, I would prefer to keep it at 7mag or 300wm and I've got the 300wm dies so . . . . However, it would make for cool pictures though with the stutzen barrel.

I'm happy shooting metal plates with the Finnlight at those ranges all day long. The single shot is as accurate or better with my handloads. As long as I don't develop a flinch, I'm sure it will do fine.

TomJoad

WKR
Shots where I will be hunting could be 400-500 yards and I wouldn't be comfortable taking a shot that far at an elk with the 6.5x55. At those ranges, I would prefer to keep it at 7mag or 300wm and I've got the 300wm dies so . . . . However, it would make for cool pictures though with the stutzen barrel.

I'm happy shooting metal plates with the Finnlight at those ranges all day long. The single shot is as accurate or better with my handloads. As long as I don't develop a flinch, I'm sure it will do fine.
Good call. I don’t go out past 300 where I hunt but 4-5 would likely be not ideal (especially launched from a short barrel) from an energy standpoint depending on your load.

Let’s see a pic of that stutzen!

OP
L

lovelight

FNG
tempImageLW1SWR.jpg
Never thought I would find a single shot interesting but these rifles are intriguing to me and surprisingly accurate. Due to their design, they clearly don't have free floating barrels yet it doesn't seem to affect their accuracy. My only possible explanation is that the break action and lock up design results in a very aligned cartridge/bullet to barrel alignment.

WyoKid

WKR
Friend shoots single shot 300 - it is darn accurate. He holds an extra shell in his support hand between the web of fingers - like what the Professional Hunters do with the double barrel express rifles. If he needs a second shot, he drops the second round in and he is ready quickly.

Last edited:
View attachment 278671
Never thought I would find a single shot interesting but these rifles are intriguing to me and surprisingly accurate. Due to their design, they clearly don't have free floating barrels yet it doesn't seem to affect their accuracy. My only possible explanation is that the break action and lock up design results in a very aligned cartridge/bullet to barrel alignment.
That's a beautiful rifle

CMF

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate, I hunt deer with a H&R single shot 45-70. It's considered primitive here in MS, but I carry it during rifle too. I can get a second shot off pretty darn quick, although both times I shot twice the buck was already going down 40yds from the first shot.
I like the simplicity of it. It's quicker to load and unload when going back and forth from the truck. Less to worry about malfunctioning.