SITKA Ambient Collection

prm

WKR
Okay, I tested this out with some different layers underneath and on the outside. I see why John Barklow is excited about this jacket. It seems like it will work well for a ton of situations.

The shell has an interesting feel to it. It's soft, quiet, and stretchy but also feels like it will be durable at the same time. Some real testing will be needed on that obviously.

A base layer under the Ambient jacket is a loose, comfortable fit.

A base layer and a hooded fleece pullover under the Ambient are a comfortable fit.

The same combos above with a Kelvin Aerolite vest over the top is a great fit. Replace the vest with a Kelvin Aerolite jacket and the fit is great as well.

One interesting thing I noticed and my only gripe so far is the forearms and cuffs are a bit bulky/loose. It's odd because one of my complaints about the Aerolite jacket and some of the other Sitka tops is the forearms and cuffs are too tight.

Appreciate your thoughts.

If you had a silkweight syn base layer, or perhaps something like Aerowool, under the Ambient hoody, would that be a good combo for high elevation October spot and stalk in CO (think 1st rifle elk)? I know we‘re all different, just your general thoughts. Do you have any thoughts on how it would do with some wind compared to something like a 240 Peleton? Thanks!

WRM

WKR
@mtwarden

Quick question for you. Would wearing a merino base layer in conjunction with the ambient hoody be defeating the purpose of the evolve insulation? From how I understand it, merino pulls moisture in then spreads it around while maintaining relative warmth. It seems that the optimal set up would be a synthetic base layer in conjunction with the hoody. However, I could be completely off-base here.

If I were going to use the Sitka, I'd use Brynje bases under it. Which is what I use (when needed IMO) under my Buffalo gear.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate your thoughts.

If you had a silkweight syn base layer, or perhaps something like Aerowool, under the Ambient hoody, would that be a good combo for high elevation October spot and stalk in CO (think 1st rifle elk)? I know we‘re all different, just your general thoughts. Do you have any thoughts on how it would do with some wind compared to something like a 240 Peleton? Thanks!
I think that would be a great combo although I haven't had the hoody in my hands yet. I guess I should order it to check out....

I don't expect the Ambient jacket or hoody to be great in the wind since it's designed to breathe. Probably similar to wearing the 240 Peleton you mentioned.

slowelk

WKR
I don't think so. Merino just takes a little longer to move moisture (and dry) vs most syns. The Evolve (or Direct) will work quicker with syn base layers (talking like weights), but it'll still work with merino- albeit slower.

Sure, the Ambient will still move moisture, but the whole point is for you to dry out quickly so your body can regulate its temperature more efficiently, wool is gonna slow it down (why would you want to do that??). It's like building a house on shoddy foundation.

If you were to wear wool under this, the only type I would consider is wool-mesh. I have been using it this spring, and it dries out as fast as synthetics and doesn't stink.

WRM

WKR
If you were to wear wool under this, the only type I would consider is wool-mesh

Like Brynje. And the wool ones aren't always the "right" ones. Sometimes you want the poly (ie high humidity situations).

WRM

WKR
Highly breathable outer fabric (Ambient) plays a very different role than a Pertex, near waterproof, fabric.

Sure, if you refuse to learn how to use the zips on BS.

You most certainly did not "miss anything", IMO. The face fabrics are different. This is not to say that pertex is "not breathable". It is the original, old school uncoated pertex. I've been well served and pleased with the BS. It works. And, try as I might, I can't tear the stuff!

pirogue

WKR
Glad some of the other forums aren’t appealing to manufacturers. What is Rokslide discount?

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the hoodie in L and I'm quite impressed initially. I normally wear a Patagonia R1 with a base layer underneath. This seems like it will be much warmer when sitting. Will have to test out the breathability when it's not 90 F out. I'll be using this with a Patagonia Cap3 long sleeve underneath.

I ordered a L Jacket, waiting for it to come in. I got it in black so I can wear it around, and plan on taking it to ireland for a trip in mid september, and then hunting season, and then ski season.

I have a problem with sweating pretty good while skiing due to exertion (maybe its because I am out of shape) and that sweat can hurt me on the lifts when it is super cold, but my ski gear is not super high end stuff. I can use this jacket as a replacement for my liner and maybe move moisture better. Anxious to try that out.

In ireland I will have a rain jacket to use for extra protection when needed but will largely wear the jacket as my outer in the cool evenings/mornings when hiking, and hopefully will be a good outer layer. plan to test the wind resistance or lack of while there.

Hunting this will be a typical mid layer. I have the celcius midi, the peloton 240, strongfleece 260, and fanatic hoody to try it against. Yes that's a lot of similar gear but I typically hunt several people at a time so I need a decently redundant line up of layers for several folks to be able to pick and choose from. Depending on how the jacket works, I may get the ambient hoody as well.

Being that it is in the 100's for the foreseeable future here in TX, I don't anticipate being able to give the jacket a run for its money until sept in Ireland.

I ordered a L Jacket, waiting for it to come in. I got it in black so I can wear it around, and plan on taking it to ireland for a trip in mid september, and then hunting season, and then ski season.

I have a problem with sweating pretty good while skiing due to exertion (maybe its because I am out of shape) and that sweat can hurt me on the lifts when it is super cold, but my ski gear is not super high end stuff. I can use this jacket as a replacement for my liner and maybe move moisture better. Anxious to try that out.

In ireland I will have a rain jacket to use for extra protection when needed but will largely wear the jacket as my outer in the cool evenings/mornings when hiking, and hopefully will be a good outer layer. plan to test the wind resistance or lack of while there.

Hunting this will be a typical mid layer. I have the celcius midi, the peloton 240, strongfleece 260, and fanatic hoody to try it against. Yes that's a lot of similar gear but I typically hunt several people at a time so I need a decently redundant line up of layers for several folks to be able to pick and choose from. Depending on how the jacket works, I may get the ambient hoody as well.

Being that it is in the 100's for the foreseeable future here in TX, I don't anticipate being able to give the jacket a run for its money until sept in Ireland.
The strongfleece 260 is one of my favorite pieces. Please let me know how it stacks up with the Ambient. However, I would be ordering the hoody and not the jacket.

Finally got it coming my way, ordered the hoodie for sheep season. Won't be able to give my thoughts but I'll have it for 16 days in early August. Excited for this one, I thought the KAJ was too warm and the Core HW Hoody never felt versatile enough.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
After trying the KAJ I thought all this active insulation jacket hype was crap. That jacket is to hot and bulky for anything active IMO.

I bought the Arrowhead MDWI jacket after reading mtwarden's review. I wore the jacket with the SG base layer and a wind jacket when needed for 99% of my bear hunting this spring. The PT Alpha Direct is legit. I'm interested to see how the Evolve compares.

Last edited:
Got my large ambient jacket on for the first time today. Fit is not snug but definitely designed to maximize contact with the base layer to move moisture. Could esily fit a base or two under if needed, but not another mid layer as that would get bulky (i know its not designed for that just pointing out the obvious).
Standing in the house i coupd really feel the burn of heat starting to develop quickly with this, might be just because its dang hot in TX right now, but i don’t remember heat building as quickly from my other mid layers. Anxious to give it a run in Ireland in September. I am strongly leaning on the OR foray 2 as my rain/wind shell for that trip and will see how the combo handles mid September Ireland weather. From there it will see time for sure hunting, and likely skiing as well.

Bulkwise, the ambient jacket is about on par with the celcius midi jacket, should easily layer under a similar sized stratus jacket, fanatic jacket, and puffy jacket. For conparison, the kuiu peloton 240 is less bulky but also a tighter fit, the strongfleece hoody is next in line in bulkiness, about the same fitment as the ambient, and then the ambient jacket, and then celcius midi barely a little more bulky with a similar fitment. I can see why sitka is replacing the midi jacket with the ambient, if the ambient does what it is supposed to with moisture but keeps that heat trapped for insulating value.

I feel i can easily wear a fanatic hoody/hvy wt base under the ambient and evem a layer of long johns, a second layer of above bases and the ambient without being too bulky. I do not know if that would be necessary tho as the design will prob make it just a one layer under and then the ambient. Time will tell.

For reference, i am 5’10” and about 185-190 and wear a large in nearly everything i have top-wise.

Last edited:
Got my large ambient jacket on for the first time today. Fit is not snug but definitely designed to maximize contact with the base layer to move moisture. Could esily fit a base or two under if needed, but not another mid layer as that would get bulky (i know its not designed for that just pointing out the obvious).
Standing in the house i coupd really feel the burn of heat starting to develop quickly with this, might be just because its dang hot in TX right now, but i don’t remember heat building as quickly from my other mid layers. Anxious to give it a run in Ireland in September. I am strongly leaning on the OR foray 2 as my rain/wind shell for that trip and will see how the combo handles mid September Ireland weather. From there it will see time for sure hunting, and likely skiing as well.

Bulkwise, the ambient jacket is about on par with the celcius midi jacket, should easily layer under a similar sized stratus jacket, fanatic jacket, and puffy jacket. For conparison, the kuiu peloton 240 is less bulky but also a tighter fit, the strongfleece hoody is next in line in bulkiness, about the same fitment as the ambient, and then the ambient jacket, and then celcius midi barely a little more bulky with a similar fitment. I can see why sitka is replacing the midi jacket with the ambient, if the ambient does what it is supposed to with moisture but keeps that heat trapped for insulating value.

I feel i can easily wear a fanatic hoody/hvy wt base under the ambient and evem a layer of long johns, a second layer of above bases and the ambient without being too bulky. I do not know if that would be necessary tho as the design will prob make it just a one layer under and then the ambient. Time will tell.

For reference, i am 5’10” and about 185-190 and wear a large in nearly everything i have top-wise.
I appreciate the feedback. I'm either going back to the strongfleece 260 or try this Ambient hoody. I feel the ambient will breath better as the strongfleece is pretty tight weave.

I feel very warm in the strongfleece, great static midlayer, but start walking and it is brutal. I hope the ambient breaths as well as described. If so, could be a great mid layer.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
From the description, it sounds like it should be a great forest hunting jacket.

The years I was into roebuck I impregnated a fleece jacket to shed water. Even that primitive solution was a great as very breathable "heatkeeper" that wouldn't overheat when stalking. Only drawback was water would instantly soak through when taking a prone shot.

I suspect the Ambient would have many of the positive features of that solution, but fewer of the drawbacks. For the so-inclined DIY-person, adding waterproof cuffs and elbows should make it even better.

Damn you people all to hell. You are gonna cost me some $$$ here. After not really falling in love with my kelvin active jacket, I was willing to pass on this one until @Justin Crossley had to mention the roomy forearms. Skinny jeans forearms Was one of my peeves about Sitka these last few years and now you went and told me they fixed that. Shit.

can anyone offer thoughts on the Ambient hoody vs the arrowhead midlayer hoody? Full zip on the arrowhead is obvious. 20d vs 30d exterior. Insulation on the arrowhead is alpha vs evolve. This thread on the ambient line got me itchy but the @mtwarden review on the arrowhead has me tilting toward the arrowhead.

Last edited:

dkell

FNG
After spending some more time with the ambient hoody, I think it is the ideal piece I have been looking for as a mid layer. I have tried various hoodies, grid fleece, and merino. For reference, I am 5’11” ~ 200 lbs and I live in a pretty cold and windy area. I run pretty hot generally and the ambient jacket is just too heavy to fit my needs. I have whittled my mid to late season active pursuit systems minus insulation and snivel gear to a core lightweight hoody, the ambient hoody, and a Jetstream. I’m looking hard at a Kelvin aero lite vest as I prioritize warmth to weight ratio. The ambient hoody is light as a croissant, packs down really well, and the outside fabric is quiet enough for me to fit the bill for any bow hunting needs. I wear an XL in all Sitka tops and the ambient hoody fits me in my preferred way. If anyone is familiar with the Kelvin lite hoody [not remotely comparing these two as interchangeable just as fit] they know that the arms are snug [in my experience]. The ambient is roomy but not too roomy in the arms. I think the torso could be a touch tighter but they have a drawstring at the bottom to tighten it down. I am a big fan of the fit of the hood and how soft and comfortable the whole piece is to
wear. I got mine in open country and the camo on it is a bit brighter than my Jetstream and core lw hoody. It doesn’t matter to me but just including it for those who it does. It moves moisture really well but doesn’t have much for wind resistance hence why I am using the Jetstream. Pit and hip zips save lives.