Sitka gear layers??

I was thinking of just a heavy bottom as base and midweight for the top. Is that ok or do you need a light weight layer first? I've always used polypropylene for rifle hunts as my base in the past and it has done ok.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’d suggest something light that can really move moisture well, but it really depends on how hard you move uphill and sweat. If you manage your pace to keep from soaking your base, and it’s colder out, absolutely not reason a thicker base layer won’t be okay.

One thing is for sure (having worn a lot of polypro mil layers) the Sitka fabrics will be an upgrade in comfort :)

Marble

WKR
My suggestion is lighter layers unless it's really cold or fairly cold with wind. A lot of people I have hunted with over years have made the mistake of using heavy layers as their main clothing. I haven't seen it work out well yet.

Learning how your body functions in multiple conditions and different levels of activity is only learned through trial and error.

Having options to get cooler or warmer as needed and learning when to add or subtract layers takes time.

Never get sweaty in cold conditions. If you are sweating and it's cold out, adjust your system.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

My suggestion is lighter layers unless it's really cold or fairly cold with wind. A lot of people I have hunted with over years have made the mistake of using heavy layers as their main clothing. I haven't seen it work out well yet.

Learning how your body functions in multiple conditions and different levels of activity is only learned through trial and error.

Having options to get cooler or warmer as needed and learning when to add or subtract layers takes time.

Never get sweaty in cold conditions. If you are sweating and it's cold out, adjust your system.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
That is great advice.

KNOPHISH

FNG
I wear my 90% pants about 90% of the time. If temps are around freezing or below a poly pro bottom is enough, even down to minus temps. 90% jacket early season with 1-2 layers. Jetstream with the wind stopper works well if cooler, 2-3 under layers easily removed. I’d rather have it and not need it than be cold.

GTC22

FNG
I was thinking of just a heavy bottom as base and midweight for the top. Is that ok or do you need a light weight layer first? I've always used polypropylene for rifle hunts as my base in the past and it has done ok.
Tag