Backpack Elk Hunting on a Budget

Just went through my hunting gear and am pretty set on clothes other than base-layer tops and rain gear (so saving quite a bit of money there). I'm thinking C4E Torrent Jacket and Pants, but any other suggestions on rain gear?

marmot precip is hard to beat in that price range

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Aaron, I was in the exact same spot last year. I skipped buying rain gear and used the extra money to buy a pack. I gambled that with good merino clothes, that if I got wet while hunting I would tuff it out and dry off. I'm glad I did, not sure on an elk hunt I would pack it in. Merino wool and water-resistant clothing good enough, and some money saved to use on other things.

I'm from western WI as well, you ever want to get together and talk elk, shoot me a pm.

Shrek

WKR
A cheap plastic poncho for an emergency. You can't really hunt in one but you can wait out a thunderstorm or few showers.

Jon Boy

WKR
A cheap plastic poncho for an emergency. You can't really hunt in one but you can wait out a thunderstorm or few showers.

Thats what I still run. Light and cheap. Ive only had to use it a handful of times for a very short amount of time. I cant justify spending a bunch of money on something I never use. It just doesnt seem to rain much during archery season in western state, that or I was born and raised in western wa and think what some consider rain is really a sprinkle haha

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Aaron, I was in the exact same spot last year. I skipped buying rain gear and used the extra money to buy a pack. I gambled that with good merino clothes, that if I got wet while hunting I would tuff it out and dry off. I'm glad I did, not sure on an elk hunt I would pack it in. Merino wool and water-resistant clothing good enough, and some money saved to use on other things.

I'm from western WI as well, you ever want to get together and talk elk, shoot me a pm.

I'm thinking I'll probably skip rain gear as well, possibly buy a plastic poncho as others have said for emergency.

You guys need to move to Washington...I don't think you can have enough sets of rain gear haha. Also, I do like Rivers West, as you can wear it as your normal day wear if you think it's going to be a wet one, and leave the vents open and not get to awfully hot. I've worn it in all weather conditions.

You guys need to move to Washington...I don't think you can have enough sets of rain gear haha. Also, I do like Rivers West, as you can wear it as your normal day wear if you think it's going to be a wet one, and leave the vents open and not get to awfully hot. I've worn it in all weather conditions.

i couldnt disagree more, that stuff weighs like 10lbs once its wet and i could fill a river with all the sweat i lose while wearing it!, id rather wear impertech..

Floorguy

WKR
i couldnt disagree more, that stuff weighs like 10lbs once its wet and i could fill a river with all the sweat i lose while wearing it!, id rather wear impertech..

10lbs is being conservative from my experience. Last moose season it went from blue bird skies to downpour while I was sleeping the rain didn't let up for a month we were float hunting I had impertech and the seams in the pants wound up leaking.

I've heard this before, and just have never experienced it. I get the lightest "early" season stuff they have and wear it year round. I've had nothing but great experiences with it. Now...that being said, I would never take it on a back country trip. There are lighter options for rain gear. But for general weekend warrior hunting, I had nothing but great experiences with it.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Aaron,, I've never heard of them till now!!! Here's a link if anyone want's to look at them. http://outdoorsmans.com/ Click on the flashing green under the pack to stop it from rotating and look at each pix of the pack/frame. Took me minute to figure that one out. It dose look adjustable. But not sure how I'd like the external frame bivy hunting or how tight and in I can get it behind my back. Would love to get my hands on the pack/frame to see how it works/fits. Tee