Snowshoeing

Beaverdog

FNG
I have two pair of 25” off Amazon. A ratchet style binding and a one pull strap style. I find the one pull strap style binding a lot more user friendly and quicker to get in and out of.

Bergy

FNG
Just tried it for the first time in February. Liked it and got snowshoes for me birthday.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
First trip of 2023. Actually it was two trips as I left my windshirt hanging in a tree (after I discovered I had a leaking water bottle in my pack bag) and had to go back for it the next day :D My wife (and Tiny Elvis) agreed to go back with me the second day.

1qRN9ya.jpg

SM9OGIw.jpg

FVze9kQ.jpg

iBzGlqF.jpg

def90

WKR
I have some MSRs, haven't used them in years. Any time I've ever gone "snowshoeing" with friends it turns out I could just walk along with them in boots. Other times when I was really "snowshoeing" to get somewhere I wished I had some crosscountry skis.

I'm thinking of getting some of the Altai Hok or similar skis.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We did a 11 mile (2000') loop yesterday- had decent snow for the first 3 miles and then the snow went to $hit. Post holing sometimes up to our hips. Towards the end of the day it had warmed considerably and the snow started sticking to my shoes- about every four steps I'd have to kick both shoes to rid them of 2-3 lbs of snow!

Snowshoeing can be tough :ROFLMAO:

O5rq2pN.jpg

5rioJS4.jpg

YhpCgsP.jpg

I grew up on wet snow that packed well. I could go anywhere on a set of trail shoes. A little crust and bearpaws were a breeze.

Around my house the snow is a pile of ice chrystals. You couldn't make a snowball if your life depended on it. My neighbor came over and showed me his new shoes. Then he walked out in the field to show how much better the new shoes are and promptly sunk to his crotch. He followed that by running his snowcat out and sunk that. I'll wait for spring.