Snowshoeing

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have three pairs of snowshoes- a really small pair- MSR Shifts, youth snowshoes (19" long) and very light- that I use for spring outings when snow is pretty packed. Typically these spend more time on my back than on my feet, but when you need them- you need them.

The second pair are MSR Evo's- 22" and with the tails 26"- if the snow isn't powder, these are the snowshoes I use.

The third pair are the Lightnings which I mention above- 30" and 34" with tails. My powder shoes OR if it's a big question mark, then I take these.

It's nice have an extra pair for friends that want to go, but don't have shoes. The Shifts work great for my grandson too if he's going.

HoneyDew

WKR
Out of curiosity what boots are you guys wearing when you go? I usually wear a comfortable uninsulated hiking boots with solid socks. I haven’t gone all day or overnight so I’m not sure they’d keep my feet warm that long.

mtwarden has way more experience but I made the mistake of getting the 25" because the 30" was unavailable anywhere. I'm about 212lb before gear and even with the tails on sunk in a good bit. Hunted around and found the tails which helped but still was sinking in a lot in the deeper snow, plus it shifted the balance to push forward when sinking in, since the extensions were just in the back.

So during the off season I'll bite the bullet and buy the 30" and sell my 25".

I waited too long last winter and couldn’t find 30” lightning ascents anywhere. Tried before the snow flew this year and had the same result. My wife went scorched earth searching to get me a pair for Xmas and finally found a pair from a retailer in Germany. They finally got delivered this week, 2.5 months after being ordered.

She was told MSR discontinued 30” lightning ascent by a couple retailers..

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of curiosity what boots are you guys wearing when you go? I usually wear a comfortable uninsulated hiking boots with solid socks. I haven’t gone all day or overnight so I’m not sure they’d keep my feet warm that long.

I'm usually wearing my non-insulated, goretex hunting boots (Crispi) when snowshoeing along with tall gaiters.

If it's extra cold or on multi-day trips I bring these

https://40below.com/product/forty-below-light-energy-shorty-overboots/

they just slip over your boots, very (very) warm- have used them on several trips where it was below; they're also nice for camp either over your boots or just socks

twall13

WKR
I waited too long last winter and couldn’t find 30” lightning ascents anywhere. Tried before the snow flew this year and had the same result. My wife went scorched earth searching to get me a pair for Xmas and finally found a pair from a retailer in Germany. They finally got delivered this week, 2.5 months after being ordered.

She was told MSR discontinued 30” lightning ascent by a couple retailers..
I ordered a pair of 25" MSR Lightning Ascents in November 2020. They never showed up and a month later the retailer cancelled the order and I couldn't find them in stock anywhere. Sometime in spring 2021 I preorded another pair from a different retailer. 4 months later they cancelled the order. So when I saw them come in stock again I ordered a pair as quickly as possible and finally had one arrive early last fall. Covid really hit the supply chain on these. Glad you got a pair, I was interested in picking up some 30" shoes in the future for different conditions but I'll get by with these for now and see if MSR ends up making more 30" shoes in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's always worth perusing eBay too; they usually have a decent selection of MSR snowshoes- occasionally some really good deals (I stole the pair of Evo's I have off of eBay :D)

it's always worth perusing eBay too; they usually have a decent selection of MSR snowshoes- occasionally some really good deals (I stole the pair of Evo's I have off of eBay :D)

Ebay is the only place i ever saw 30" lightning ascents online in the past couple years. Typically used of a previous generation model and near MRSP. That would be my first look if a guy needed a pair.

OP
justinspicher
Went out this am for a snowshoe trip, with a new set of MSR Lightenings, it was rough. The trail was garbage due to folks not knowing how to properly snowshoe and others post holing on the trail. I tried some off trail travel and have come to the conclusion these snow snowshoes are not for me. They are way to long for my height for me to use right. I’ll stick with my MSR classics!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm usually wearing my non-insulated, goretex hunting boots (Crispi) when snowshoeing along with tall gaiters.

If it's extra cold or on multi-day trips I bring these

https://40below.com/product/forty-below-light-energy-shorty-overboots/

they just slip over your boots, very (very) warm- have used them on several trips where it was below; they're also nice for camp either over your boots or just socks
Have you ever tried the X-gaiters from OR? I'm thinking about getting a pair and trying them out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HoneyDew

WKR
I got in the habit of checking a couple websites for lightning ascent 30”s. By chance REI had them in stock today so I just bought a pair. FYI to those looking for 30”s.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
went out today and brought my 30" Lightnings, tough snow- about a 2" crust of ice on top and crappy corn snow underneath- I'd have been screwed with even 40" snowshoes :D

still had a good outing despite the snow conditions

9LLqesS.jpg

s0pGmIC.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mtwarden,

Do you use all three straps with your MSR Lightening snoshoes?

I do, but to be honest you could easily remove the middle one. The shoes I use in the spring (MSR Shifts) only has two straps in the front and have never had a problem with the binding coming loose.

OP
justinspicher
I tried to use the lightenings with just two straps and it made the shoe feel loose. My foot was everywhere. I think I may meed to adjust the toe strap as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ yeah definitely add the other strap back then; I fully loosen all the straps when I take them off and tighten each strap when I put them on- I don't leave any of them "set", not the rear strap either

I will say that the 30" shoes are definitely less nimble than my 22" Evo's- took a couple of hours getting used to the 30's yesterday, but was fine after that. As bad as the snow was yesterday, I would have been thoroughly screwed with the Evo's- although I was plenty screwed enough even with the 30's! :D