SO 4 person vs Refcliff

I currently own a Cimmaron which I really enjoy. However, I’m 6’5 and it’s just a tad cramped with a partner and a stove. I’ve been debating upgrading to the Cimmaron Light due to the better placement of the stove Jack and the added guy out post.

The majority of my camping is late season so having a stove is crucial. Can anyone comment on the 4 person or Redcliff light for 1-2 people with a stove ?

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
I've been using a SO 4-person with a titanium wood stove (medium) for four-years now in Alaska. I've slept two in it for 10-days for a couple of remote float trips. My hunting partner is 6'2", but I've mostly used it for a day shelter to get out of the wind/rain for 14-day hunting trips for two...taking it again this fall. Either way it's been great, and it has strongly withstood some major Alaska fall wx extremely well, time and time again. Two in it with the stove is very comfortable and pretty much perfect...no more than that for me. It's an extremely durable and reliable shelter...the titanium stove makes it an oasis when out in "remote nowhere" for extended periods in Alaska.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Redcliff, no other SO shelters. The Redcliff is a palace for two, comfortable with 3 and a stove, and I've pushed it to 4 with a stove twice. One of those hunts was a 7 nighter and with all four of us over 6 feet tall. We set up a spiked out tarp outside for gear. Tight but doable.

Voyageur

WKR
Only one AK trip with my SO 4 man tipi which, incidentally, was purchased in part based on @AKDoc 's recommendation. It was a great shelter on my 2 week solo moose hunt last September...stove, stability, functionality, all were great. Your 6'5" height gives me pause though, and is something I think you would be wise to consider/test before making a purchase of the 4 man tipi. Everyone is different as to their definition of "enough" head room. Personally, at 5'11", I felt right at the edge of not having enough head room.
I have no experience with the Redcliff.
Hope this helps.

AKDoc

WKR
...Your 6'5" height gives me pause though, and is something I think you would be wise to consider/test before making a purchase of the 4 man tipi. Everyone is different as to their definition of "enough" head room...
You make an extremely valid point for the OP to pause and consider, Voyager. I'm glad you raised it. "Head room" in a tipi is an interesting concept given its shape, and, as you mention, our individual meaning of "head room" is subjective, e.g., enough head-room to fully stand up-right to get dressed, enough head room to walk around up-right, etc., etc.

As we all know, the height of any given tipi is measured at the apex (center-pole), and the slope (head room) drops down quickly as one moves outward from the center-pole. For example, the SO 4-man is 6'-10" at the center-pole, and I'd estimate that height to be under six-feet within twelve inches from the center pole. One could do the math given the center-pole height, slope, and radius...but I'm still on my first cup of morning coffee here in Alaska!

OP
Thanks y’all. Additional headroom is always welcomed. However, my concern was my sleeping bag touching the walls of the tent with another person, gear and stove in the Cimmaron. My bag would get partial soaked from all the condensation. I like the Redcliff but the footprint is fairly significant compared to the Cimmaron. I think the 4 person would be a happy medium, I just wish they made a “Light” version as I don’t need a second door and like the placement of the stove Jack better.

OP
Anyone have pictures of the 4 man with two people and a stove occupying it?

AKDoc

WKR
I don't have any pictures of my SO 4-man set-up to sleep two with the stove in place. I've done it just fine without any contact with the tent walls (condensation in a tipi is a reality), and we were able to get our needed gear inside as well. Perhaps the SO website might have some pictures to share...don't know.

I do have a couple of pictures that might help give you a sense of what it would look like...

Below shows the size of my medium titanium stove in relation to the 4-man.
IMG_2299.jpg
Below shows the space that two of us took inside. I actually took this picture because I pitched it on a very narrow gravel shore with barely enough room...keep in mind that it is not fully guyed-out because we just didn't have the space...and my friend is unnecessarily hogging the middle! We were on a ten-day fishing float, moving camp every night for the hundred-mile distance we had to cover. We stopped to fish late in the day at this location. The fishing was so outstanding that we just kept fishing until our arms were ready to fall off, so we hastily had to set-up the tipi for the night right there.
IMG_2304.jpg

I hope that helps a bit...hopefully others will share pics of exactly what you need to see.

Only did two nights in my redcliff before I traded for a cimarron. The footprint was just too big like you're concerned about.

Won't help if you're running a stove, but when I use my cot and have a buddy in the cimarron we'll sleep long ways, perpendicular to the doors.

I've heard you can contact SO about customizations. They could maybe eliminate a door and add some guyout points to help keep those sidewalls off the bag and head.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is the redcliff light, its about the same weight as the 4 man with screens and you get more sqft.
Below is my old 4 man I sold it to purchase a cimarron light for a solo back packing shelter. I am 5 ft. 10 and my head is hitting the shelter walls when I stood up to get dressed in the 4 man, you have to be mindful of the stove pipe.

Attachments

• SEEK OUTSIDE 4 MAN.jpg
    SEEK OUTSIDE 4 MAN.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 33

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a SO redcliff light set up for four, the fourth bag is on the far left out of sight. We were truck camping so gear went in the camper shell.

80453A76-AD5B-4C2B-9DB9-242C8FC1156F.jpeg