SO DST tarp pitches

9c927f2674d95e99d3d73c799ed0167f.jpg

When you are with a buddy and have 3 trekking poles this works awesome. Plus you can lower one side or the other in case of wind
cd2c025b8de71a3a5d1ceede949853c4.jpg

Solo sleeping with big storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my DST tarp and use it in the diamond configuration over my Kuiu Summit Star. The Summit Star long pole acts as the center prop for the DST. With a rather high front point (about 6') I actually build my campfire UNDER the front point of the tarp. There is quite a bit more room under the tarp when the Summit Star vestibule is opened up. I've got heat, light, and cover for myself, my gear, and firewood, all for about 4lbs.

How does the smoke behave that way? Does it try come into your tent?

EdP

WKR
Hecto, at that location the prevailing wind is from the west. With the open side to the east and the tarp on an upward angle, smoke is not really an issue. The wind does sometimes comes from the east but when it does it is very light and not too much of a problem, but I am always happy when it switches back from the west. You can see the smoke in one of the pics and it mostly just goes up and out like that once the fire is going well enough to provide thermal updraft.

EdP

WKR
That's a great way to pitch if you are not going to have a fire. You still have the headroom to sit up at the center (I would anyway), and that lower pitch means the sides go out further giving more space under shelter.

Bumping this thread for a question. I used two sections of the Seek carbon pole as a center pole in a lean-to setup this weekend, but the pole wouldn't stay in the pocket of that center patch and kept falling. How do y'all keep that center support seated in the patch? I'm thinking of flipping it over and using the loop meant for a taught line to wrap around a trekking pole handle, but seems like a piece of shock cord on the inside would be better.

Pitch likely wasn’t taut enough.

Should be a semi struggle to get the pole inserted and upright

EdP

WKR
Snowy is right but sometimes a strong wind will come in the wrong way and billow the tarp up off the pole. You can use the center loop to attach a line down to a tent stake at the bottom of the pole. Put the stake in at an angle so it doesn't just pull out. That center tie down will keep wind from lifting the tarp off the pole.

Phaseolus

WKR
I moved from DST to the Eolus two years ago, same weight but much better storm coverage. I still have and use the DST as a camp shelter but sleep in the Eolus.

Drenalin

WKR
Anybody packing their DST in a compression sack or a smaller stuff sack? I’m thinking of sticking one in an XL or Mega Kifaru pullout and would like to know if it fits before I buy one. It’s either that or pack it loosely on top of my quilt.

HoneyDew

WKR
No shit, hence the inclusion of the word “smaller” in my question, as in “smaller than the enormous stuff sack they come with.”
Considering the mega and XL are bigger than the DST stuff sack you’ll probably want to go smaller…