So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

Trackselk

WKR
You might want to weigh that Hunter stock before spending money on a aftermarket one. Also keep in mind that you can lose an additional 8 oz out of the stock with 20 minutes of your time.

There is a guy on 24hourcampfire that was selling titanium bolt handles that shaves a little weight.
Thanks, I got the titanium bolt & carbon knob ordered. I already went crazy on the full MPI stock order, so should lose another 11-12 oz roughly (?), which should offset the heavy swfa. After packing the 6 lb complete MA for years, if I can shave more weight off than that and have less recoil (308 to 6.5cm), it should be even more of a wonderful rifle for my deep wilderness trips. I have yet to find where anyone says how much weight they lost with the titanium hardware?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
just under one ounce with the ti bolt (0.8 oz)

do me a favor when your stock shows up- weigh it and weigh the factory Hunter stock (it should weigh just at 2 lb, 1 lb 7 oz with gel removed)

Trackselk

WKR
Thanks, and will do. Does that .8oz include the titanium screws? I'm guess the screws are like 10th of an ounce items, and only 2 of them? I'd rather carry one less round of ammo, or 3 almonds if that's the case lol

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just the bolt handle. The guy has (had?) three different handles- I think the one I have is probably the heaviest by looking at them- still talking tenths of an ounce.

Didn’t know they made Ti action screws :D

Trackselk

WKR
Thanks again! Yeah, that guys site is confusing, but I ended up getting the ti handle with carbon knob. Looks like something around an ounce and supposedly better ergonomics than the factory piece, so WTH. Hopefully we'll find out what the screws save us, other threads gave me the impression that they cost something like $20 shipped, so not terrible expensive, but I'm guessing insignificant weight loss

Trackselk

WKR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like the fluting should reduce the weight by more than a quarter pound? I'm going to send mine off to north Idaho (Karl) asap for fluting and maybe some other goodies if it makes sense. The mpi stock is over $1200 by its self, so this is getting crazy fast. Anybody need a kidney?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think 4-6 oz sounds about right. It’s not a very thick barrel, so there is only so deep they can flute.

Trackselk

WKR
If my math is right, I'm still probably only looking at 5.75 lbs (ish) with my build so far (including fluting), and I've spent a small fortune. I guess I better keep going to make it worth it over my 6lb complete MA! Any idea what the skeltonizing & bolt fluting Luke did equated to in lost ounces?
Of course my MA is wearing an ultralight loopy, because I've never needed to shoot an elk over 300 yards.

Edit: including swfa 6x (20 ounces)

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
Well, the new hunter arrived. Too busy to mess with it until next week, but I did verify that my fluted and skeletonized MA bolt fits just like the hunter bolt! That was some cheap (free) weight loss. I assume there are no worries about headspace since the bolt came sealed in a bag, and might never have been affixed to this rifle and fired? I might even be able to rob the stock for my hunt this month and use the hunter as single shot? Then again, I'll just pull the gel and get those weights in time for the hunt. This winter, it will be off for fluting, cerakote, MPI stock etc...

TomJoad

WKR
You may consider verifying it’s a shooter first. An unmolested hunter will resell easier than one with a butchered stock. I’ve had good luck with my Kimber’s but I know not everyone has.

Trackselk

WKR
You may consider verifying it’s a shooter first. An unmolested hunter will resell easier than one with a butchered stock. I’ve had good luck with my Kimber’s but I know not everyone has.
Thanks for the reminder! I was thinking that I better not modify it if I need any warranty work to make it shoot as guaranteed. Actually, I don't have time to do much other than shoot it a bit before my early deer hunt anyhow. If it won't shoot I'll take the MA and talk with kimber I guess.
-my MA came factory with impressive accuracy, and I even got it used. I pitty the poor fellow that sold it...

Trackselk

WKR
just under one ounce with the ti bolt (0.8 oz)

do me a favor when your stock shows up- weigh it and weigh the factory Hunter stock (it should weigh just at 2 lb, 1 lb 7 oz with gel removed)
Gotta shoot this thing before I pull the gel, but my old mechanical scale shows 30 oz. I'm going to get a new digital to verify, but I would think an old scale would weigh heavy, not light, if it were off (old spring weakening). So, I might have a 2oz lighter than usual hunter stock for sale in a handful of months from now. Or, I guess more likely, it probably just got a lighter gel treatment...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I pitty the poor fellow that sold it...
I got a mountain ascent 300 win mag here on rokslide from a gentleman for 1100.00. Every time I see how it stacks my 200g partition hand loads I wonder what he was thinking. In my opinion, it’s an incredible weapon and one of the nicer guns I own.

Trackselk

WKR
I got a mountain ascent 300 win mag here on rokslide from a gentleman for 1100.00. Every time I see how it stacks my 200g partition hand loads I wonder what he was thinking. In my opinion, it’s an incredible weapon and one of the nicer guns I own.
Wow, that was a steal! Mine was about 1750 complete with a nice loopy 3x9 ultralight. Wasn't even sighted in properly, so i'm guessing it was basically fired a few times, and sold. Too much recoil for them I figure??

Trackselk

WKR
Just for info for anyone that this might help. The MA and hunter bolt measured identical where it counts. I think if it locks up the same, (not sloppy or obviously binding) then it's safe to shoot. I'll find out for sure tomorrow at the range...

Trackselk

WKR
I might have missed it, but what does the MA bolt weigh?
Looked like more than an ounce less than the hunter bolt, but I'll report back with a digital weight. It shot fine with the MA bolt, but I didn't realize that my cleaning kit didn't have a 6.5 brush, so back to the range tomorrow. Looks like the new hunter has at least 3/4 moa accuracy with epdx&eldm, and a good 125 grain round, but man is it finicky. Hopefully it's just break in trials, but my MA is relatively easy to shoot .33 moa. Hopefully the MPI stock will improve the temperamental beast!