So I want to buy a new autoloader

hunt1up

WKR
At the moment I use a pretty boring Winchester SXP for my shotgun needs. I use it for turkey, I'll shoot slugs through it if I need something for close range deer hunting when my Savage 220 isn't necessary, and I'll use it for other general shotgun things. Most of the time my shotguns live in the safe. I don't use them a ton and I'm not out abusing them while duck hunting. That being said, I'm in the mood to get a new auto.

I'm not excited about the idea of dropping $1,200-1,500 so my initial considerations have been the Beretta A300 or a Winchester SX4, with me leaning toward the Beretta. It's not a sexy gun but can be had for around $600. On the other hand, I generally buy higher quality gear and part of me says to just wait a bit and grab a Benelli M2 or a Beretta A400.

Should I buy-once, cry-once and wait? Or grab the cheap Beretta and just go hunting? Any opinions from guys who own the "budget" autoloaders?

If your set on Beretta I would look for a used a391..really close to the a400, little heavier, and you can find them from 600-800 used. I used mine for 12 years and only issue I had is the shell catch on the mag finnaly wore down and it was double feeding...replaced it and it still folds game like a lawn chair.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Thanks for the replies. It seems like a lot of the used guns are BEAT UP. I'll keep looking.

Another one on the short list is the Franchi Affinity 3. It seems like it's quite similar to a Benelli M2.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
i know some people turn their heads to them but my Mossberg 930 is as reliable as any auto i have owned (remington, franchi) i love it and the price cant be beat

I have shot a benelli M2 field for almost 15 years. I shoot upland birds with a rotating crew of guys and have seen all many of semis in the field. Have done the pepsi challenge with a variety of others and nothing shoots as well for me. I am also a big fan of guns that go boom. Reliability of the benelli is better than anything else out there IMO.

NDGuy

WKR
If you wanna stay under $1200 look at Franchi, Benelli Montefeltro/M2.

I picked this limited run Franchi had on their latest semi auto. It's an awesome shotgun.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
an A400 or a benelli SBE3 would be my go to that I would persuade you to get if you can save for a bit. My group runs 2 SBE3 and 2 A400 hard during duck season. None of them have shown any problems.

I would hard pass the sx4. my brother had one that was problems. Same with a browning maxxus. I had one and it was problems.

If you cant wait a Benelli SBE2 or M2 or a beretta a391 or a A300 will treat you well. I shot the dog doo doo out of both berettas in argentina and liked them. Some of them had some extraction or chambering issues but that can be expected with guns that have well north of 10k rounds on them and dont get cleaned until they start to malfunction.

When I was looking for my first semi-auto shotgun, I was in a similar situation. In my case it was either the A300 or the A400 Xtreme Unico. I bought the A300. However, about 6 weeks later the A400 went on sale so I picked it up.

I have zero complaints with the A300 and it has been 100% reliable. However, now that I have the A400 my A300 rarely gets used. My A300 only comes out to play when 1) the weather is nice and 2) I am chasing quail or dove; the A400 gets the nod for everything else including periodic dove and quail hunting.

When the new "Plus" version was released, the "old" Extremes went on sale with a deep discount. I do regret not picking up another one "just incase".

Thanks for the replies. It seems like a lot of the used guns are BEAT UP. I'll keep looking.

Another one on the short list is the Franchi Affinity 3. It seems like it's quite similar to a Benelli M2.
Are you taking it out to dinner or taking it hunting?..not for nothing but the "beat up" ones still work just fine...I went out and picked up a new a400 about 4 yrs ago when they came out and after 4yrs of dragging it around, throwing in the bottom of the boat, using as a paddle, it looks beat up too, hell next time I wanna take the sling completely off I am going to have to use a dremel to cut the swivel off on the butt end its rusted shut..damn saltwater! ..looks almost as beat up as my 391....shotguns that get used get beat up....but they still work just fine.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Are you taking it out to dinner or taking it hunting?..not for nothing but the "beat up" ones still work just fine...I went out and picked up a new a400 about 4 yrs ago when they came out and after 4yrs of dragging it around, throwing in the bottom of the boat, using as a paddle, it looks beat up too, hell next time I wanna take the sling completely off I am going to have to use a dremel to cut the swivel off on the butt end its rusted shut..damn saltwater! ..looks almost as beat up as my 391....shotguns that get used get beat up....but they still work just fine.

That's a fair point. I don't mind giving my guns some character marks and generally view them at tools. But, when I see some trashed gun and they want 75% of new, I guess I'd rather be the one to add said character marks and get more mileage out of it.

Norm555

WKR
I paid $1,500 for a benelli super black eagle 2 about 12-13 years ago. Every time I hunt with it I thank myself that I splurged and bought it. I always am happy with myself when I adopt the buy once cry once thought process.

With that said, you could go with the Benelli M2 or Montefeltro for quite a bit less money and still have essentially the same performance. You really don't ever "need" 3 1/2" shells.

That's a fair point. Something to be said for breaking in your own. Reason the new ones are 75% of new is because they still work just fine...lol...I guess I would save your money get the a400 and beat it up yourself.

That's a fair point. I don't mind giving my guns some character marks and generally view them at tools. But, when I see some trashed gun and they want 75% of new, I guess I'd rather be the one to add said character marks and get more mileage out of it.

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I’m partial to benelli’s, so I would rather wait and save for an m2 or montefeltro. The franchi affinity is pretty nice, but unless it’s a real good deal, the price difference isn’t enough that I’d rather wait and save a little more. If you can wait, Dunn’s usually puts a benelli model on sale around summer time that’s as cheap as I’ve ever seen one.

wildcat33

WKR
I went on this quest last year. Like you, couldn't make sense out of a 1200-1500 $ auto. My favorite gas auto is no longer made (SX3), from what i hear the SX4 is not as highly regarded. Looked at about everything out there and ended up with a synthetic benelli monte for 800. Havent put it through the paces yet.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
So many good guns out there to choose from and I agree with someone above that said save your money and don't worry about a gun that shoots 3 1/2 shells. I had a cheap Stoeger autoloader that worked great for 8 years of awful abuse. Sold it and have had a Maxus for 4 years that has been great but triple the price. I have noticed that they both killed stuff exactly the same. Have fun shopping!

Axlrod

WKR
If your set on Beretta I would look for a used a391..really close to the a400, little heavier, and you can find them from 600-800 used. I used mine for 12 years and only issue I had is the shell catch on the mag finnaly wore down and it was double feeding...replaced it and it still folds game like a lawn chair.
I have a Beretta 391 supper Trap I bought in 1996, use it mostly for trap shooting, but used it for hunting the first 5 years I had it. It has 80,000+ rounds through it and still going strong.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a Remington 11-87 20ga this winter to turn it into a turkey gun. I couldn't be more happy with my purchase.
EA3E92D4-C8EE-4F15-B3C7-C683E37430C8.jpeg

Last edited: