Someone new to hunting - what species do you recommend to them?

fwafwow

WKR
I've had people tell me they want to get into hunting, or that while they aren't hunters, they want their kids to get into hunting. After recommending some hunter safety classes and research, what species do you recommend as a start? A buddy today said he wants to take his kids duck hunting, and I suggested that might not be the best choice - IMHO. It's cold and wet, early in the morning, and depending on where you go, you might be out in the middle of nowhere for a while (if you are dropped off by a boat). And it requires some gear that is useful for much else (waders). I thought about upland bird hunting - less equipment (and it is useful for other stuff), better weather and on solid ground. But there is a risk of a new hunter shooting a dog.

Thoughts?

Jauwater

WKR
I always recommend some type of bird hunting like Dove, or Duck. Something they can go out there with, not being a great shot, and bust a ton of shells. Man, nothing gets me more excited then seeing a group of dove flying my direction, just after busted several shots, and now your having to throw shells in as fast as you before they fly by. Man dove hunting is a blast. But anyway, that's what I recommend.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

ndhtr

FNG
I would say whatever interests them the most. I personally would much rather put in more work hunting big game or be cold and wet hunting waterfowl than upland hunting. Upland game hunting just doesn't really appeal to me, but that's just me I guess.

P Carter

WKR
Turkey! Springtime, usually easy to hear gobblers, decent chance of seeing a few even if there is no shot opportunity, can do a 1/2 day hunt in the warm sunshine, relatively safe and easy to maintain safety (i.e., you can set up over decoys and have a "no shooting until we're set up" rule). I started my now 8-year old on turkey hunts, and he loves it. His 5-year-old sister is now begging to come and will come along next year. I've never shot a gobbler while they were there, but we've heard turkeys each time, hiked around off trail in the woods, enjoyed the spring sunshine, and otherwise had a grand time.

Marble

WKR
Take them to go shoot a variety of guns for sure. If they really like that, then there may be a passion for hunting.

I take three inexperienced kids on a guided Turkey hunt every year. Ages are from 12-15 years old. For free. I think there are only two, in the last 6 years, that are really excited and passionate about it. They were also the ones who paid attention in hunters safety, at the range, and when learning to call, hunt and set up. The passion to shoot seemed to be the best indicator IME.

KurtR

WKR
I guess where you live makes the biggest difference. No hogs and not enough squirrels here to hunt. Doves can be good but not like down south. All you need is a shot gun and to see where the ducks or geese are flying and sit in a ditch and pass shoot them. Easiest I would say is whitetail .

Donjuan

WKR
I've had people tell me they want to get into hunting, or that while they aren't hunters, they want their kids to get into hunting. After recommending some hunter safety classes and research, what species do you recommend as a start? A buddy today said he wants to take his kids duck hunting, and I suggested that might not be the best choice - IMHO. It's cold and wet, early in the morning, and depending on where you go, you might be out in the middle of nowhere for a while (if you are dropped off by a boat). And it requires some gear that is useful for much else (waders). I thought about upland bird hunting - less equipment (and it is useful for other stuff), better weather and on solid ground. But there is a risk of a new hunter shooting a dog.

Thoughts?
Doves, Turkey and whitetail probably require the least investment to do it. I know you spend a ton but an 870 and a slug barrel, some shells, some camo and orange can get you started

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for turkeys. Easy to control gun safety issues, exciting, nice time to be out and not much specialized equipment needed for the new hunter if they are hunting with someone experienced.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
These are all great suggestions. Guess my personal biases seeped in. I love dove hunting but they are small and quick and a poor wingshoooter could be challenged. Turkey for me has (at least so far) been a less-then-rewarding experience - hot, buggy and without success. And I (and my teenaged son) can't seem to sit as still as is necessary.

From the suggestions so far, I'm thinking squirrels might be a good option for my most recent inquiry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR

Thoughts?
If he said duck hunting, he probably wants to go duck hunting.

Jump shooting is fun, small ponds/streams/rivers are fun, it aint all about big water and massive decoy spreads.

First you take em to do some clay shooting a time or two so they can hit something, then go scouting and find where some ducks are hanging out, then you either put a sneak on them or go back the next day and hopefully the ducks return. All the "gear" necessary is shotgun, nontoxic shells, camo shirt/jacket, hat & face paint. Sit behind a little brush and don't look up at the birds that are flying overhead.

I took a guy fishing once and we caught a bunch of unwanted saltwater catfish - he told me he had no idea that they were "bad to catch" until I started apologizing. If I hadn't made a fuss, he would have just kept having a good time. Keep it simple, they aren't die-hards and there will always be multiple ways to do stuff.

Small game and birds are usually the best introduction since it is pretty busy most of the time.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
If he said duck hunting, he probably wants to go duck hunting.

Jump shooting is fun, small ponds/streams/rivers are fun, it aint all about big water and massive decoy spreads.

First you take em to do some clay shooting a time or two so they can hit something, then go scouting and find where some ducks are hanging out, then you either put a sneak on them or go back the next day and hopefully the ducks return. All the "gear" necessary is shotgun, nontoxic shells, camo shirt/jacket, hat & face paint. Sit behind a little brush and don't look up at the birds that are flying overhead.

I took a guy fishing once and we caught a bunch of unwanted saltwater catfish - he told me he had no idea that they were "bad to catch" until I started apologizing. If I hadn't made a fuss, he would have just kept having a good time. Keep it simple, they aren't die-hards and there will always be multiple ways to do stuff.

Small game and birds are usually the best introduction since it is pretty busy most of the time.

I didn't provide all of the background in the first post, but he said his kids want to duck hunt and neither he nor his kids have ever duck hunted and they don't have shotguns, much less waders or even boots. (I agree they may not need boots to pass shoot, but I can't speak for what terrain they can find, and they still have to figure out how to get any ducks from the water they may fall into.) Unfortunately I'm not taking them anywhere - he lives several states away - and I don't think he has the time, knowledge or land (or connections) to do much, at least at this point. I love duck hunting but there's a bit more effort, and potential downside with kids, imho. ("Dad, I'm cold! When is this over?") At least for a very first outing for a parent who doesn't even hunt.

Totally agree on the small game and birds!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk