Son’s first shotgun

Sean1

FNG
I am looking into getting my son his first shotgun. He is almost 12 and is 5’9” for size reference.

I am thinking a 20 gauge pump and possibly one that would have a slug barrel that is easy to get. Possibly wood stock to help with recoil and hopefully not a stock with a sharp cheek piece.

So far I have seen, not handled any yet, the Mossberg 500.

Any other suggestions?

Stalker69

WKR
Might check out browning, bought my son a bps, he's left handed and the safety is thumb operated and bottom eject. I believe you can buy extra barrels for them also. Recoil on a 20 gauge is not bad weather synthetic or wood.

7mm-08

WKR
Might check out browning, bought my son a bps, he's left handed and the safety is thumb operated and bottom eject. I believe you can buy extra barrels for them also. Recoil on a 20 gauge is not bad weather synthetic or wood.
Really solid advice here. Same situation 25 years ago with my son and went with an Ithaca Model 37. Had to switch the safety, but I'm glad we went this way until he graduated to an Ithaca Model 500 over/under in 20 gauge, which he still shoots today.

One thing you may look for is a model that can fit a youth or adult stock- I’ve got an older Winchester 1300 that you can switch out the butt stock on to make it adult or youth.

My wife shoots a beretta that has a bunch of shims for the recoil pad so it can be as short as a youth but as long as an adult stock also.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Look for used Remington 870 wingmaster. Reasonably priced and better made than most new pumps. And there are plenty of parts available.
If your looking at new a Browning BPS.

2531usmc

WKR
Two thoughts here:
-buy an inexpensive youth shotgun that he will outgrow
-buy an high quality shotgun that will last a lifetime

my dad chose option #2 and 50 years later I still use and cherish the first 22, shotgun, and rifle dad bought me

actually, my boy killed his first bear with the 30-06 my dad bought me all those years ago

cnelk

WKR
I will add that I bought that Winchester Model 1200 20ga when I was in my teens.

Still use it

IMG_1769.jpeg

gbflyer

WKR
Yes. A 12ga semi auto gas gun. Soft shooting and so much more ammo to choose from. Give him 1 round at a time until you feel he’s ready for all 3. The Turkish imports are just fine for budget, Beretta if you want to spend more.

DanimalW

WKR
Yes. A 12ga semi auto gas gun. Soft shooting and so much more ammo to choose from. Give him 1 round at a time until you feel he’s ready for all 3. The Turkish imports are just fine for budget, Beretta if you want to spend more.
I kind of agree with this. I bought an 11-87 when I was 14 and I’m still shooting it 27 years later. I’ve never been a fan of pumps. I’d probably buy an O/U now because I very rarely take a third shot anyway. Don’t really think a 20 ga has any less recoil than a 12 with light target loads. And he won’t notice it when hunting.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
The stock choice shouldn’t make a difference. I personally don’t like wood but that is my preference. The choice of shotgun shells will make more difference. Start with target loads. Just my opinion.

stattus1

FNG
Two thoughts here:

my dad chose option #2 and 50 years later I still use and cherish the first 22, shotgun, and rifle dad bought me

actually, my boy killed his first bear with the 30-06 my dad bought me all those years ago
I would second this one.

willtim

WKR
Before you buy a shotgun, determine his eye dominance and teach him to shoot off of his dominant eye. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy. Both of my right handed sons shoot left handed Benelli M2's I bought them as kids. They are still going strong many, many cases of shells later.

KsRancher

WKR
One thing you may look for is a model that can fit a youth or adult stock- I’ve got an older Winchester 1300 that you can switch out the butt stock on to make it adult or youth.

My wife shoots a beretta that has a bunch of shims for the recoil pad so it can be as short as a youth but as long as an adult stock also.
I got 2 of those youth model 1300's. Those are great little guns. And don't think I have ever seen one jam.

KsRancher

WKR
I will add that I bought that Winchester Model 1200 20ga when I was in my teens.

Still use it

View attachment 626324
Do you have problems with that gun not cycling good after it starts to get dirty. I have a 16ga model 1400 and a 12ga model 140. They run great when clean. But after shooting and walking thru grass and weeds they start to operate SLOWLY. And I mean SLOW. I am ready to fire the next one and it's still cycling. I carry a a can of the QD cleaner with me and give it a soaking. Good to go after that. If I didn't like the way the gun feels I would get a different one.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I still have my first 870, and out of all the many high dollar guns I have, its the one that means the most to me. Despite its relatively inexpensive price, they shoot great, and are hard to break (at least my vintage is). There are a lot of aftermarket parts/stocks/rails etc. After shooting other shotguns, I can say Im not a fan of supernovas (don't shoot straight for me), or mossbergs (to clunky).

cnelk

WKR
Do you have problems with that gun not cycling good after it starts to get dirty. I have a 16ga model 1400 and a 12ga model 140. They run great when clean. But after shooting and walking thru grass and weeds they start to operate SLOWLY. And I mean SLOW. I am ready to fire the next one and it's still cycling. I carry a a can of the QD cleaner with me and give it a soaking. Good to go after that. If I didn't like the way the gun feels I would get a different one.
Not a problem.
I also have a Winchester Model 1300 12ga with the synthetic stock but I don’t use it much

NNK-Hokie

FNG
If you're interested in sticking with a pump gun, a Remington 870 in either 12 or 20 gauge would be my vote. Simple, affordable, dependable, lots of aftermarket support. I don't have a ton of experience with many other pump guns however, so I may be a bit biased.

OP
S

Sean1

FNG
Two thoughts here:

I’m actually not looking for a youth gun since he is already as tall as he is.