Son’s first shotgun

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation a few years ago with my son. I bought a Mossberg 500 pump and it was garbage. I could not believe the poor quality. It was very hard to pump but I thought it just needed to be broken in. It never improved. I sold it and bought a Franchi semi-automatic and he loved that gun. The beauty of the Franchi is that it comes with a youth sized stock which fit him well when he was young. He was ready for a 12 gauge last year so he bought a new Benelli. I ordered a full size stock from Franchi for the 20 gauge and now I use it for turkey hunting. It is incredibly light and perfect to carry around while chasing turkeys. It is nice having bought the youth model and converting it to a full size shotgun that we can both continue to use forever.

I certainly got some ideas. I do agree an auto would be better on recoil but can be a little finiky if not properly cared for. Pump will generate a little more felt recoil but they are simple and will almost always work.

I am not even really sure about the slug barrel option being needed but certainly nice to have that option.
Just FWIW pumps can have issues to.

Model 12's were quirky guns, generally worked well but have known several with pump/ejection issues.

BPS's were real easy to bend the rails tattached to the forearms rendering them useless until fixing.

I known at least a few wingmasters that gave their owners a little trouble (me being one of them).

I have yet to know anyone personally that had an issue with a benelli nova, although I'm sure they have existed.

Some autos are arguably more simple than pumps. M1/SBE1 being one of them. It could be argued that you have to keep them clean'er to operate better but I find myself generally keeping all my guns clean and in decent working order, regardless of shotgun, rifle or pistol....

just my $.02

re: pumps

several older models (can't remember all of them specifically, but know for sure model 12's do) don't require a trigger reset so if a youth slams the forearm forward and the trigger is still depressed it will fire.

I'm foolishly assuming in 2023 and the safety-age we live in, this has been remedied by now but it was a real concern not so long ago.

SloppyJ

WKR
I find it interesting on here, how many guys will hunt rifle with the smallest caliber they possibly can. But bust out the shotgun and its get into a 12ga as soon as you can:unsure:

I don't think the guys running to the 12ga are the ones shooting 77gr TMKs! Just a hunch. I know I'm not.

Id suggest the Remington 870 20ga. they were recently bought out and are upping their manufacturing standards. I have shot and handled one of their new ones and can confirm that they are better build. great starting shotgun.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking into getting my son his first shotgun. He is almost 12 and is 5’9” for size reference.

I am thinking a 20 gauge pump and possibly one that would have a slug barrel that is easy to get. Possibly wood stock to help with recoil and hopefully not a stock with a sharp cheek piece.

So far I have seen, not handled any yet, the Mossberg 500.

Any other suggestions?
If you’re concerned about recoil why not an auto loader I bought a Remington 1100 20ga when I was 12 and shot that gun years unfortunately I’d say anything but Remington now quality has gone downhill I bought an 1187 a few years ago what a POS

bozeman

WKR
Do you know his eye dominance? My son is left handed, left eye dominant, I am right handed, right eye dominant. @ 9 years old, I bought him a Browning BPS 20ga, ambidextrous thumb safety and when you pump, it kicks the shell out the bottom, so no right side/left side issues for either of us. It has been the death of many turkeys and ducks!!!

I just saw the Bass Pro shop black Friday sale & they have a Winchester SXP black/ synthetic pump in 12 or 20 ga on sale for $200 after rebate. (Reg $350). For that price you can sell it later if he wants to upgrade