South Dakota DIY

KurtR

WKR
Non resident not hunting till October should of helped this year during archery. Rifle I don’t see any one

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I mean we can all bitch, but I ran into 3 hunters in an area I've hunted and seen maybe a dozen hunters in a few hundred square miles mostly on roads and parked on the side. Last year I had 3 different hunters come in on where I was hunting, 2 blew stalks I was committed to for over an hour each. Guess what...THEY ALL HEARD ABOUT THAT AREA FROM INTERNET SCOUTING AND FORUMS. This was down to the name of the road I was hunting! Everyone can argue that helping out folks is what forums are all about, but come on, for those hotspotters giving up spots...show how good of a person you are at a soup kitchen and stop ruining it for the rest of us who know how to keep our mouths shut.
I disagree with some of what you said there, I don't mind sharing information on an area. I have done it, and still find success just fine. If it's public its not your spot, its everyone's. I am not saying people should come in and blow up what you're actively doing (if they know you're there), because that ain't right either, but I am not going to stop helping others just because its going to potentially blow up "my spot." I don't share gps coordinates or road names, but if someone asks how to find deer in "X" county I am not afraid to tell them what habitats to look for. I think if you have 3 people come in on where you are hunting its time to find a new area. Finding a new spot is half the fun anyway, and in Western SD mule deer are not hard to come by, even on public.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree with some of what you said there, I don't mind sharing information on an area. I have done it, and still find success just fine. If it's public its not your spot, its everyone's. I am not saying people should come in and blow up what you're actively doing (if they know you're there), because that ain't right either, but I am not going to stop helping others just because its going to potentially blow up "my spot." I don't share gps coordinates or road names, but if someone asks how to find deer in "X" county I am not afraid to tell them what habitats to look for. I think if you have 3 people come in on where you are hunting its time to find a new area. Finding a new spot is half the fun anyway, and in Western SD mule deer are not hard to come by, even on public.
Your are obviously free to feel how you want about the subject. I myself an not one to complain about seeing other people on Public Land. Honestly the places I hunt I rarely run into other people, but I definitely don’t share that information with others. I’ve spent multiple years hunting these locations collecting information to be able to successfully hunt these areas. This last year SDGFP limited archery access to several Public Lands because people complained about “overcrowding”. SDGFP statistics showed that one areas archery hunters grew by nearly 5 times in a period of 3 to 4 years. Although there are still quality animals in the area, most of them have been pushed deep into the country. How ever the problem persists, it’s obvious people aren’t keeping their hunting spots to themselves. I don’t know why anyone would want to give pertinent information about a hunting location that one plans to hunt. Scent, and hunting pressure just pushes game further into the country and sometimes on to private land. Do everyone a favor and keep your hunting spots to yourselves. When State Agency’s get involved because of “overcrowding “ everyone loses.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Your are obviously free to feel how you want about the subject. I myself an not one to complain about seeing other people on Public Land. Honestly the places I hunt I rarely run into other people, but I definitely don’t share that information with others. I’ve spent multiple years hunting these locations collecting information to be able to successfully hunt these areas. This last year SDGFP limited archery access to several Public Lands because people complained about “overcrowding”. SDGFP statistics showed that one areas archery hunters grew by nearly 5 times in a period of 3 to 4 years. Although there are still quality animals in the area, most of them have been pushed deep into the country. How ever the problem persists, it’s obvious people aren’t keeping their hunting spots to themselves. I don’t know why anyone would want to give pertinent information about a hunting location that one plans to hunt. Scent, and hunting pressure just pushes game further into the country and sometimes on to private land. Do everyone a favor and keep your hunting spots to yourselves. When State Agency’s get involved because of “overcrowding “ everyone loses.

I don't give out information on my areas I hunt specifically but more a region or county basis, for instance if some one wanted to hunt the badlands areas with lots of washouts. I wouldn't give them coordinates, but if they want to know how to best find deer in that terrain, why shouldn't I tell them? Odds are they aren't even remotely close to the areas I hunt anyway, and maybe my tip is the difference between them finding their deer and not. I'd rather be helpful. As far as people telling everyone to go hunt in the area that got blocked off with the access permit, I think there's better areas in the state that you don't need the permit for. People just don't like change. I just try and have enough places I know where to find deer that it doesn't matter if one of my spots blows up with pressure or any other reason deer would leave an area.

People need to remember mule deer are only found in the far western part of Sodak.....

These deer might disagree. They are east river (technically in the river, wonder the legality of that one lol), on public ground. There are certainly higher numbers further west river, and certainly more on public ground, but they can be found in many places throughout the western 2/3 of the state.

Also, sorry OP that we have absolutely high-jacked your thread. If you have any questions post them up, I will help if I can!

KurtR

WKR
I don't give out information on my areas I hunt specifically but more a region or county basis, for instance if some one wanted to hunt the badlands areas with lots of washouts. I wouldn't give them coordinates, but if they want to know how to best find deer in that terrain, why shouldn't I tell them? Odds are they aren't even remotely close to the areas I hunt anyway, and maybe my tip is the difference between them finding their deer and not. I'd rather be helpful. As far as people telling everyone to go hunt in the area that got blocked off with the access permit, I think there's better areas in the state that you don't need the permit for. People just don't like change. I just try and have enough places I know where to find deer that it doesn't matter if one of my spots blows up with pressure or any other reason deer would leave an area.

View attachment 125145

These deer might disagree. They are east river (technically in the river, wonder the legality of that one lol), on public ground. There are certainly higher numbers further west river, and certainly more on public ground, but they can be found in many places throughout the western 2/3 of the state.

Also, sorry OP that we have absolutely high-jacked your thread. If you have any questions post them up, I will help if I can!

That was sarcasm I see plenty of mule deer shot east river. Both rifle and archery. I tire of the whiners complaining about to many people on their public spots as they all pile into Harding county

Fatcamp

WKR
Harding County or bust I say.

And ya, sorry for wrecking your thread, OP.

People short change themselves internet scouting. Honestly, just came back from two days of fun in a place I took a chance on and it was all I hoped. Now, I didn't kill a deer, but that has more to do with my skill set than anything.

OFFHNTN

WKR
That was sarcasm I see plenty of mule deer shot east river. Both rifle and archery. I tire of the whiners complaining about to many people on their public spots as they all pile into Harding county

I won't whine, I understand it's public land and as a NR I should not have all the benefits, even though I do have opinions on some of the rule changes this year.
With that said, I spent Tuesday-Friday in Harding county last week. It was my 7th year out there and by far the worst. I counted 15 other hunters in the field in less than 4 days, and didn't bother keeping track of all of the trucks parked at the walk-in or other public land areas. Quality deer numbers are way down, I did see some bucks, but few that I wanted to go after. The weather wasn't the best the first two days, but if I saw 15 deer in a day, 12 of them were does and fawns, the other 3 were small bucks.
So yeh, my search continues to find land that resembles what I hunted the first 3 years out there. I tried to find that this year and explored several areas with no luck, just more hunters, as of now it's not very good at all.

12-18" in the northern hills. 6-12" for most areas west of the River. Hope all the lope hunters got theirs already and folks stay safe.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
I got back last week thursday, we left early to beat the storm. It was my first time out there, or on any western hunt so take my input for what its worth. We had a blast, saw more deer than i was expecting especially for two days being very warm, and some nice bucks. A very high majority of what i would consider shooters were on private ground. All that being said we ran into a TON of hunters. Alot more then i was expecting or friends who had been there in the past had seen. Enough that we ended up not hunting our initial expected spot because we saw so many people. We did find solitude in other spots, but only saw does and small bucks in those areas. Either way i had a blast, it was alot different than treestand hunting whitetails i am accustomed to and like to think i would return in the future

Fatcamp

WKR
Fantastic. Good on you for taking a chance and trying something new.

There is plenty of solitude in South Dakota to be had, just need to read between the lines. People talking about the same couple areas has brought attention for sure.

Hope you make it back.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
If a guy could put some imput into the “new and improved system” we have here, its funny seeing these other local guys talking about people who can’t read draw stats because its true. I thought the other way was effective. People were complaining somebody might get a couple buck tags (hills, west river) for example while others didnt. That was just the way it was man, next year could be your year. It was about a 2 year cycle. If a guy wanted to hunt, pick up a bow, pick up a muzzle loader! Muzzle loader should not have been put into first draw now, thats already a hard hunt. Lets not get started on the cubed points. Ive got 16 years and still don’t have much chance let alone anyone coming up in the game.

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, on the bright side since SDGFP has pissed off just about everyone, you are in good company.

As far as your 16 points, that's a pretty good number for rifle elk. Custer elk not so much.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I stopped putting in for Custer. Started playing Powerball with the preferance money...figured the odds about the same haha

Fatcamp

WKR
LOL. The people who are upset about not drawing a Mt. Goat tag need a meme. Same with sheep and Custer elk.

No understanding of math. At all.

Mt Al

WKR
People share detailed information on forums because they want to show you how much they know. It has nothing to do with being helpful (usually).

Can't agree more. It's amazing what different people are motivated by. I do appreciate people who help others out, not trying to slam anyone, but I call this "guide syndrome" where you want to be someone's hero. Two of my best friends are this way and they have honestly helped a ton of people get deer and elk - creating more future hunters in the process. And without more hunters, we're not going to have hunting. They don't seem to care if people are traipsing all over their hard-found spots. In this case there's little downside. I'm not 180 degrees opposite, but close to it because I've seen first hand what happens to smaller, "pocket" type places that had few hunters - then get crawled all over by many: bad for everyone.

I archery hunted whitetails in Western SD this year for the first time on a friend's place. What. A. Blast! I wasn't successful harvesting but the people were wonderful, caught up with old friends. Plan on going back if I get an invite!