Spearfishing dive buddies - MT, WY, CA

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Hey y'all, I'm in Sheridan and would love to find some spearfishing buddies. It's been on my list since I learned it was legal here in WY.
Sounds good man! I'll try to keep this thread going and we'll have to get some spearfishing days scheduled this spring.

Do you have any freediving/ spearfishing gear?

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
Breath hold spearfishing can be very dangerous. I think everyone should try it, but it really requires a mentor or at least a little training.

And a partner! Not smart to do alone.
Yup! Exactly why I wanted to start this thread and see if there are any other guys interested in getting together.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good man! I'll try to keep this thread going and we'll have to get some spearfishing days scheduled this spring.

Do you have any freediving/ spearfishing gear?
Sounds good, yeah I have everything. Used to dive/spear a lot in FL so most of it's been sitting in the closest for a while.

would like to see a few pic of your catch ...🍻
We got burnt here in Colorado with some really old photos on Spearboard being used against us in meetings to legalize spearfishing in CO. They pulled pics from an epic day we had 15 years ago and talked about how we were decimating the fish populations, etc. We were all legal, within our limits, and it was a single, amazing day. Still, they found them on the internet and held us out as murdering spawning fish on their beds (which was definitely not the case).

Now I'm pretty hesitant to share any gamefish pics on the internet. Here is a yellowtail from Mexico

Attachments

• IMG_20130318_130634.jpg
    IMG_20130318_130634.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 50

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I go quite a bit with buddies in western MT for pike. Hit me up if you ever want to swap trips

TX_Diver

WKR
Used to live in CA and dove a lot.

Looking to move to WY eventually so it's good to know there's some diving there.

What kinda guns you guys using? How deep is the diving there?

Fatcamp

WKR
The Missouri River reservoirs in South Dakota can have some fantastic spearfishing. All water clarity dependent and elevation.

Used to live in CA and dove a lot.

Looking to move to WY eventually so it's good to know there's some diving there.

What kinda guns you guys using? How deep is the diving there?
Most of the time I use a 55 or 70 cm pneumatic, great days I use a 75 cm rail gun. Once in a blue moon I’ll use a 90.

most of my fish are killed between 10’ and 35’

OP
kad11

kad11

WKR
We flail on the surface with JBL bandguns.
Haha, lots of that too!

I didn't realize it, but I was waaaay under-weighted the first day I went spearfishing. I went to attempt my first duck dive and got maybe 3' under and just stopped, bobbing on the surface with my legs and long fins above the water. I'm sure anyone passing by thought I was trying some weird, solo synchronized swimming routine 😂

Okhotnik

WKR
I went down to Baja and did some spear fishing around Los Barrilos last month.

Good idea not to do this alone. Ive also wanted to get a big tuna free diving.