Spotting scope on a budget

tdhanses

WKR
they just regurgitated the same thing to me, not long ago. This was the response I recieved

Thanks for your enquiry.

Where appropriate we would support the management of wildlife populations for conservation purposes but not for commercial purposes such as driven bird shoots or trophy hunts where population management is not the objective. Our support for conservation is illustrated by the fact that we work closely with Birdlife International partners around the world and in the UK we are the exclusive optics supplier to The Wildlife Trusts.

As you will be aware, a brand's binoculars could be used for hunting regardless of whether or not that brand supports that activity. And there are some types of "hunting" such as deer population management which are necessary, in that case due to the lack of top predators in the UK for example. Optics are an essential part of making sure any such cull is done properly.

If you use the search function on our website, you should find that hunt, hunting and hunter do not return and results and shoot, shooting or shooter are only referenced in terms of target archery, rifle range shooting and in specifications for cameras.

I hope this sets out our position.

Best regards, Pete
Sales & Marketing Director
Hmm sounds like they are pro wildlife management not trophy hunting. NA hunting is based on wildlife management.

Now if they said we are the PETA of the optics world then I’d say yeah they are anti hunting. I think Nikon is more anti hunting as a corporation based on this response.

Blue72

WKR
Hmm sounds like they are pro wildlife management not trophy hunting. NA hunting is based on wildlife management.

Now if they said we are the PETA of the optics world then I’d say yeah they are anti hunting. I think Nikon is more anti hunting as a corporation based on this response.
North America is based on sport hunting which they are against as well

nphunter

WKR
OP, the Vortex Razor 16-48 is a good scope and can be had for about your budget used. Not sure about the Athens, reviews sound good as well. I’ve spend over 100 hours behind my Razor and it’s been a good little scope, we used it in the church side by side with an older Swaro 65mm and I couldn’t tell a huge difference, we even swapped eye pieces back and forth between them, neither were big enough for that country though.

I just bought a Meopta S2 for hunts that are glassing intense but will keep the Razor for times when I want to toss a spotter in the pack just in case.

What is your budget for a tripod and head? It doesn't matter how high end your glass is if your tripod does not hold it steady. Vibration is your enemy.

What is your budget for a tripod and head? It doesn't matter how high end your glass is if your tripod does not hold it steady. Vibration is your enemy.
I'm trying to wade through the same issue. What should the budget be? Do you have any good suggestions for lower cost tripods/heads that still provide decent performance?

Bearsears

WKR
I'm trying to wade through the same issue. What should the budget be? Do you have any good suggestions for lower cost tripods/heads that still provide decent performance?
A Slik sprint pro 3 with a crap ball head can be had for 49 bucks on Amazon.
Take the ball head off and buy a Benro S2 video head for 95 bucks and you have a decent inexpensive setup. Quick release plates for that head are about 20 bucks each.
I've been running the slik sprint pro 2 with a benro for 4 years now. While its not up there with some other tripod setups, its a great durable lightweight setup for the money. Especially the head. Its a very smooth operating fluid head.

Buy used. As has already been suggested, Bushnell elite 15x45. Leupold gold ring 12x40. or The Pentax Pf65 ED either angled or straight. I own all three of these scopes. The Pentax is fantastic optically,I run mine with a fixed eyepiece that equates to 32x (8.5 I think). The bushnell is 1.5 pounds and real good optically but it's strength is light weight ,super tough and easy to pack. The Leupy is the one in the middle, better optically than the bushnell (Very slightly) and easy to pack with excellent eye relief (19mm) which is great if you wear glasses. Also in the middle weight wise. I have thought of selling one of these. Probably the Leupold just because the Pentax is very good optically and the Bushnell is smaller and lighter to pack.