Starter pack for beginner?

Hello all,

I will be hunting for the first time this year and am picking out some gear. I would love some input. I stumbled across this forum and I really like the knowledge on here.
I will be hunting in California on multiday trips for deer and pig. I am 6'6" and ~250lbs. I really have no idea what I want in a pack. I would like to get something that can get me by for a few seasons until I have a better sense of what I want. Plus I have already blown my budget elsewhere for this year :)

I saw the badlands 2200 for $190 on amazon and now through badlands direct with coupon. Anybody used that pack? think it will get me through a few seasons? Any other cheap packs that will work for a beginner?

Thanks for the input!

jonahw12

FNG
You're going to wish you didnt skimp on a pack. A really good pack is worth every penny when you start adding weight or longer hunts. There are a lot of great packs out there and all packs do not fit the same especially being taller like yourself

JNDEER

WKR
Rifle or bow?
Southern or northern CA?
At 6’6” not many packs out there to really fit a guy that tall that are cheap.

A badlands 2200 would be 100% should carrying pack. If you are looking for badlands and cheap I have a tall badlands 4500 in the classifieds... not really meant for day hunting- but has badlands warranty and will last a while.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I don't think the Badlands 2200 has an adjustable yoke system which is going to make it hard to adjust to a taller guy like yourself. I really liked my horn hunter full curl for a fairly cheap price. It does have an adjustable yoke, is really solid and carried weight really well. The only knocks against it were the fact that it is heavy and a bit stiff when I was carrying lighter weight. With a cheaper pack you are going to have to compromise, and in my experience, I'd rather have a slightly heavy and stiff pack that handles weight well, than a lighter more flexible pack that isn't as comfortable and doesn't handle weight nearly as well.

OP
J
Those were some quick replies! thanks guys!

@jonahw12 I am not expecting to love my first pack. I am absolutely willing to spend top dollar once I have some trips under my belt.

@JNDEER Rifle hunting. I am absolutely rubbish with a bow but have been target shooting my whole life.
I totally get that packs generally don't fit tall guys. The only reason I want to go cheap is I will be hunting next month and that doesn't give me time to try packs especially with nowhere near me to try them. The badlands 2200 has a large that according to the measurements should be ok for me. Your 4500 looks good. I am new so I cant PM but I may be interested! The only thing holding me back is that if I order one, I can return if it isnt going to work.

@IdahoHntr Thank you! I am looking at that pack. I totally understand compromises will be made. and heavy and stiff seem like a fair trade off for a quick season or two cheapie. Everything I have is ultra-lite except my rifle so that will help offset the heavy pack.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I struggled with cheap packs for a few years when i started, so that's a tough one, but For a budget pack that will handle weight well and last forever, I would be thinking external frame from your local outdoor store.. with a flip down load shelf they can be had for $80 and you can try them all on (*with weight of course. think 40-60 pounds) inside the store to find what is most comfortable. Look for many adjustments, good buckles, well fitting hip belt that stays tight. Look at how the expensive packs are designed, where the straps are, etc and try to mimic that. the belt may be the single most important thing when it comes to weight, at least for my body. I like thicker straps too. You can buy the frame and then strap a duffel bag or dry bag to it. There's alot of guys out there that started backpacking this way. If you try hunting and love it, 2 years from now you'll probably be thinking of upgrading, but no need to buy the best most expensive stuff first trip. I hope you really enjoy it and then the addiction starts and ..........

If the time comes when you get serious and want to upgrade- I strongly strongly strongly encourage people who are serious about hunting to make an investment in a pack. Alot of forums on here say the same thing- Kifaru, Exo mtn gear, Stone glacier......... If you have a chance to attend a outdoor expo and try these brands on under weight I think you may see why guys buy them. I've had to overcome some injuries over the years and for my body, the exo mtn gear k3 fits me well. Every body is different and some guys do great with a $100 pack, but I find i can hunt harder if my body feels better and to me it's an investment in my health, so a $650 pack is a little easier for me to swallow. They all fit very different to me, so I always advise people to try them on if they can get to an expo. To me the right pack became obvious once I wore them with weight. Good luck!

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
Another thought i just had to add to your mix........ the high end packs do hold their value really well and resale is super easy. Pick up a used one and resale later? just a thought. To me, "budget" pack= under $150 for most people. If I was gonna spend more than that, I would think buy a good used one and resale if not happy with it. I bought a used exo mtn gear frame a couple years ago for $200 (just the frame, suspension and straps). You could strap a duffel bag onto that for now, and if you liked it, buy one of the bags to put on it later? May save some money in the long run. Just a thought :)

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
IMO the big question for you is do you need to pack an animal? If so, you've got some research ahead of you. If you just need something to carry hunting gear and whatnot, You can't really go wrong.

I'm 6'4" and the Seek Outside frames fit me just fine. I don't have experience with Kifaru, Exo of SG so can't speak to those but I wouldn't be afraid of researching them due to your height.

JNDEER

WKR
Jaysen - Where abouts in CA are you located? Yes, if the pack don't fit within a short time most retailers will let you return it... if you are close to me I would be fine lending you either my packs I am trying to sell to test out and see if you like it.

You can just reply here if interested. The older model badlands don't resell too well, but at one time were the best packs available on the market.

OP
J
@JNDEER
I am in Arroyo Grande, Right next to Pismo Dunes. Normally I travel up and down the state regularly but not so much right now.
Is the blue widow pack the smaller version of the Just one? I love the feature set of that pack.

@Aaron Warpony I absolutely will be buying a high end pack if I end up sticking with hunting. It pains me to buy cheap stuff. It is rarely my style. With COVID, no trade shows and not even really stores open plus my first hunt about a month away. a cheapie makes sense to me. plus that gets me a few trips to know what it is I want and time to make it to an expo where I can try them on. Also that should give time for the big 10 pack review on this site to be completed.
I love the idea of buying a used pack! I should be able to use the classifieds soon.

@Smokeslider I hope to pack an animal. Yes it will be quite a learning experience. I have butchered animals but packing it will be interesting.

JNDEER

WKR
@JaysenDFx4 - yes but the widow doesn’t have the gun sleeve. Although that pack will carry everything you can put it in- at your height everything carried would all ride on your shoulders. I am up north - north of SF if you have any plans to come up this way my offer stands if you want to give them a test before deer season to try and see if you like them.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to consider, if you invest in something higher end now, and don't like it, you'll probably get pretty good resale on various sites like this one. Lower end and mid-level packs not so much.

Surplus molle 2 for $60
surplus filbe or Ilbe for $75
used dana designs internal frame like a bridger or terraplane for under $200.

go cheap. You change your mind a few times befor shoulder get it figured out. Once you have a better sense then buy a high dollar pack.

Last edited:
Horn Hunter Full Curl system is something to consider. It’s very functional, options for frame only, day pack, and multi day use. Retail is around $300ish and can find used around the $225-250 price range. It’s only real downfall is the weight. If I remember right it’s around 7-8# empty. But dollar for dollar you’ll be hard pressed to find a better starter pack option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
IMO the big question for you is do you need to pack an animal? If so, you've got some research ahead of you. If you just need something to carry hunting gear and whatnot, You can't really go wrong.

I'm 6'4" and the Seek Outside frames fit me just fine. I don't have experience with Kifaru, Exo of SG so can't speak to those but I wouldn't be afraid of researching them due to your height.

This - if you are planning on packing out an animal, comfort will be more important than anything. If you have any chance to test out a buddy's pack, loaded with 50 or 75# of weight, and hike around on a bike trail, or even in your neighborhood, it would be worth it. And there are lots of used packs for sale that are higher end that might be a good option.

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I scooped up a eberlestock warhammer super cheap, new in package. I know eberlestock seem to not get alot of attention on here. I will say its heavy compared to others but I couldn't pass up the deal. It rides pretty good on my frame. I've only took it out a handful of times but it rides great.

OP
J
I appreciate all the advice.
I ended up getting the badlands pack. I looked at packs from SO, Kirafu, Horn Hunter, Exo, etc until I was dizzy. $170 gets me something for next month.

I was actually pleasantly surprised. The Large frame really does seem to work. I loaded all my crap and added some weight to the tune of ~60lbs and marched around the property. It does a very nice job keeping the weight on my hips. The design and layout seem pretty good. I was able to pack for 3-4 days and it laid out nicely. The cushioned back portion actually fit me well which is amazing given my size.
The quality of materials seems sub par.
It is not light.
The rifle holder is a little flap that unzips. It does not inspire a lot of confidence that it will keep my rifle safe and secure.
The pistol holsters are a terrible. None of my pistols fit.
The hydration pouch did not fit any of my bladders and seems to be an afterthought. It is square and all of mine are rectangle.

hard to give a good review until I live out of it for a few days but those are my very noob first impressions.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a solid choice - something that'll get you by in the meantime. I'll echo the other guys and say that a good pack is well worth the investment. Boots and good optics are where your dollars should be going now. Don't skimp on those, you'll definitely regret it.

Look at the bright side - you'll be elated once you do get a premo pack on your back and have a real appreciation for the difference it makes. My advice, whichever pack you do pick up in the future, make sure it has a sticky lumbar pad. A heavy pack sliding down to your ass every few steps makes for a miserable pack out.

OP
J
@schwaf You nailed it. I just spent on optics. I picked up zeiss conquest 10-42 binos.
I have some US made Danner boots that I love.

kickemall

WKR
I saw that you said you travel up and down the state. If you get a chance stop by the Kuiu store in Dixon and you can try on their packs and at least get an idea what you like. Kuiu has an xtra tall frame option which would probably work well considering your height. I currently run a Stone Glacier but have had Kuiu and Seek Outside both of which I recommend and both have frames for your size. Your Badlands will work fine for now but what you'll find is that all packs will work until you start getting heavy loads. Rule of thumb - two things not to skimp on are boots and packs.