Stove Jack Installation!

MIKEYB

WKR
Have you guys considered cutting off the attachments for the NEMO inner nest? I Don't think I will be using the Nemo product that is designed for it so I was thinking that I might cut off the connecting zipper and velcro around the edges. Gonna have to wait to take it out a couple of times before I am brave enough to hack on it though.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you guys considered cutting off the attachments for the NEMO inner nest? I Don't think I will be using the Nemo product that is designed for it so I was thinking that I might cut off the connecting zipper and velcro around the edges. Gonna have to wait to take it out a couple of times before I am brave enough to hack on it though.

We talked about it when we were seam sealing, as I doubt we will ever use the nest either. But the Nemo won't be going on trips where we are trying to go as light as possible, as we wouldn't be bringing the stove and would likely just take our SL5. Some of the inner zippers were fairly close to seams, and I decided the weight savings would probably be minimal when compared to the risk of cutting some other part of the tent. Can you tell I really hate cutting on perfectly good outdoor gear?? :)

Also, the more you "customize" stuff the harder it is to sell down the road...at this point we still have all our options open :) we did remove all the stuff inside that was easily removable. If you end up taking the scissors to yours, let me know what the weight savings come out to....after some actual field testing I may feel differently.

MIKEYB

WKR
I got the same reservations about hacking on perfectly good and new equipment. I didn't consider the the integrity of the seam. I'll take that into account. I did however consider resale value. I'm planning on getting it out this next weekend if everything goes right. will let you know what if I do it and what savings it accounted for.

Thanks!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Becca- Are you concerned about burning holes in sil tent? Spark arrestor or is chimney angled enough away from tent body to keep sparks from landing on tent?

Bighorse

WKR
holes

I used my SL5 with SO XL stove with a 8 ft pipe for three days this past weekend. We pitched it on a beach on an island near the coast. There was no holes burned in my fly. In these smaller tents you don't need a blazing fire to get a comfortable warmth. It's nice because your not tearing through the wood.

My SO 12 tepee does get holes.

Becca- Are you concerned about burning holes in sil tent? Spark arrestor or is chimney angled enough away from tent body to keep sparks from landing on tent?

I sewed a stove jack in an SL-5 about a month ago. First outing was three nights in sub-zero temps with a 12" Ti-Goat stove. They don't come stock with a spark screen, and the we were running it wide open and feeding it a steady diet of dead spruce branches. Under those (worst case) conditions, we burned the heck out of the tent. Likely had close to 30 holes in it, a couple of which were pretty big (1" long embers). Those sparks go through sil-nylon like it isn't there.

After adding a spark screen and using it under more reasonable (20-30 F) conditions this this week, the spark problem was pretty well mitigated. Being able to damper it down a bit really helps I think. Might have a couple more pin holes, but I no longer feel as if I'm watching my tent get destroyed before my eyes.

Yk

Mike7

WKR
Yellowknife, that is somewhat surprising to me that you had such a burn hole problem with that much stove pipe outside of your tent (it looks like around 3 ft in the picture) . I wonder if it was in large part due to the spruce sticks being so ashy?

The reason I am curious is because I was going to purchase a shorter Ti pipe from TiGoat for my smaller pyramid tent leaving just a couple of ft above the tent surface, but now you have me rethinking that. Currently I am using my 7 1/2 ft pipe that is designed for a larger Tipi Tent, so it sticks outside of my small pyramid tent by several feet. It's a little heavier carrying the longer pipe and it looks a little ridiculous, but maybe that is a good thing? I've not had even any pinholes yet in the small tent while using the long pipe.

The stove pipe I'm using is a 7 ft, and I get about 2.5 ft sticking out. The spark problem was directly related to my using the tent and stove WAY outside of the design perimeters combined with the high amount of sparks produced by spruce limbs. I was on what was supposed to be a pleasant early spring trip, but ended up getting hammered by a sub-zero cold streak followed by a pretty decent snowstorm. The SL-5 is not exactly a four season tent, so we were somewhat outmatched by the conditions. Ended up running the draft wide open trying to dry gear and keep from freezing. The significant draft + sparks from spruce burned the heck out of the tent. Used in a more normal conditions (and using a spark screen), it seems to work fine. Since my experience is limited, I'm not sure how much the length of pipe effects spark holes. I sure wouldn't go shorter though.

Yk

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member

As others have said, the potential for sparks can be reduced (though not eliminated) by choosing good dense wood in larger pieces ( no spruce if you can help it) and using a spark arrestor. We have two simple screen arresters that we use on our kifaru stove, and I plan to run a similar set up with the Nemo.

The stove pipe I'm using is a 7 ft, and I get about 2.5 ft sticking out. The spark problem was directly related to my using the tent and stove WAY outside of the design perimeters combined with the high amount of sparks produced by spruce limbs. I was on what was supposed to be a pleasant early spring trip, but ended up getting hammered by a sub-zero cold streak followed by a pretty decent snowstorm. The SL-5 is not exactly a four season tent, so we were somewhat outmatched by the conditions. Ended up running the draft wide open trying to dry gear and keep from freezing. The significant draft + sparks from spruce burned the heck out of the tent. Used in a more normal conditions (and using a spark screen), it seems to work fine. Since my experience is limited, I'm not sure how much the length of pipe effects spark holes. I sure wouldn't go shorter though.

Yk

Sounds like a rough time YK, hoping this goofy lack-of-spring weather we have had up here gets a grip. I am ready for summer, and if it doesn't start soon we won't get much of one :) What are your plans to repair your SL5, or do you think it's toast? I have repaired pin holes easily with a drop of aqua seal, and we had a professional do some repairs by oversewing eith dilnylon patched on another golite shelter that got bigger holes burnt in it when the tent blew over in hurricane force winds while the stove was going....

Sounds like a rough time YK, hoping this goofy lack-of-spring weather we have had up here gets a grip. I am ready for summer, and if it doesn't start soon we won't get much of one :) What are your plans to repair your SL5, or do you think it's toast? I have repaired pin holes easily with a drop of aqua seal, and we had a professional do some repairs by oversewing eith dilnylon patched on another golite shelter that got bigger holes burnt in it when the tent blew over in hurricane force winds while the stove was going....

Good question Becca,

Since it's been to cold to set it up in the yard and patch it properly, I sealed the dozen or so worst offenders in my basement using my handy roll of clear Tenacious Tape. I wasn't sure it would stick to the sil side of the fly, so cut patches and applied to both sides. They actually stuck solidly, and thus far they appear to be very permanent... albeit I only have three nights in it since. The remaining pin holes will get patched using dabs of sil-net whenever it actually stops snowing and I can set it up and find them all.

Yk

Yk

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
First use of Nemo with Stovejack

We went out for a quick overnighter to enjoy the warm temps that finally arrived and look for bears. The Nemo with the woodstove worked flawlessly and the view from the front door was spectacular!
P5210180-c_zps371a1fdc.jpg

P5200162_zpsdc0b62a2.jpg

P5200170_zpsad95bcda.jpg

The Nemo was a great set up, the extra midpoint guy outs really helped increase the useable floor space, which was nice with the stove. We used our regular MLD nest to keep the beds off the snow, and had space galore for sitting around the fire once the temps started dropping.We forgot to bring a saw, and the only wood available was spruce so we took a chance. I was nervous after YK's recent experience with spruce, and we were careful to break off the smallest branches and needles before we burned the wood. Not sure that extra work was necessary, with the single screen spark arrestor and the damper in varying positions we didn't end up with a single spark hole...

The only problem I see in those pictures is that you are still winter camping and using snowshoes... Other than that, looks good. :)

Glad to hear your tent is still intact. After my much improved second run, I think I'll keep my tent in one piece in the future without trouble. Lesson learned. When camping at -20... take the Arctic Oven!

Snyd

WKR
Nice. Gotta love a room with a view! Did you see any bears? I assume it was a different trip that Luke and ?? got the griz this year?

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice. Gotta love a room with a view! Did you see any bears? I assume it was a different trip that Luke and ?? got the griz this year?

Not a bear to be seen, and very little sign although we did see one set of very small tracks. You wouldn't know it from the photos, but this trip was 12 days later than the trip where Luke and his buddy got the grizz earlier this month. As you well know, "spring" has been pretty late to arrive this year, especially in the interior :)

Snyd

WKR
Not a bear to be seen, and very little sign although we did see one set of very small tracks. You wouldn't know it from the photos, but this trip was 12 days later than the trip where Luke and his buddy got the grizz earlier this month. As you well know, "spring" has been pretty late to arrive this year, especially in the interior :)

Ya no kidding about spring. We are a month behind. Usually April is break up and May is green up. Still snow in the hills. Heck, we were downhill skiing in May! Last year I was hiking. Latest break up on the Tanana in history.

Totally messed me up for Bear Baiting this year. Might get some spot and stalk in. We'll see.

stephen b

WKR
Becca,

Nice job on the stove jack and nice pics of the trip- looks like a good time.

Couple ?-I have an SL5 that I have been thinking about putting in a Jack in and when I saw your pics the Nemo looks like a better space and use- do you agree? As I may just keep the SL5 w/o a jack if I get a Nemo.

Also- which stove is that in pics and how did you guys like it?

Thanks

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca,

Nice job on the stove jack and nice pics of the trip- looks like a good time.

Couple ?-I have an SL5 that I have been thinking about putting in a Jack in and when I saw your pics the Nemo looks like a better space and use- do you agree? As I may just keep the SL5 w/o a jack if I get a Nemo.

Also- which stove is that in pics and how did you guys like it?

Thanks

I do think the Nemo is a better choice with a stove, althought I haven't tried putting a stove into an SL 5... The mid point guy outs on the Nemo really increase the useable floor space, so even though the square footage is similar (I think the Nemo is only like 9 sf bigger) the Nemo ends up feeling a lot more spacious, which is what you want when you have a stove eating up floor space. The downside to the Nemo is of course that its heavier, but the stove adds weight anyway so I would just leave the stove at home and go with the SL5 if trying to go UL.

The stove is an Ed T (16" I think, but Luke would know for sure) and we have been very happy with it thus far. Very impressed with how much heat it put out, and the Nemo actually retained the heat a lot better than i was expecting given that its non insulated. I was concerned about the round design for heating water( as opposed to the flat top) but as you can see in the picture above, the rods held titanium cups nicely for melting snow. Only downside I see is lots of pieces to keep track of, but that kind of goes with the territory. It came with a couple of nice light weight bags for keeping everything together, so that helps...