Stuck in Los Angeles for a day, what to do?

Geewhiz

WKR
Connecting flight got delayed till midnight. Generally I try to avoid this area like the plague but since I don’t have a choice this time, anything worth checking out while I’m here?

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Apparently there’s an app you can get that tells you what areas to avoid to steer clear of human fecal matter on sidewalks. 🤣

This is a different world than what I am accustom to.

Scottyboy

WKR
If you’ve never seen someone crap on the sidewalk, skid row might be worth checking out. Then again, you can see that in a lot of other places not so far from the airport.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
We had to stay in LA one night on our way to HI.
I remember laying in the bed at the hotel and hearing
automatic gunfire out on the street @ 2A.M.
Not a premiere destination IMO.

Fowl Play

WKR
Lived there for 6 years.... there's beauty when you get outside the city. If you nab a rental car some cool things to do.
  • Unique Stop. If you like space, 15 min east down the 105 from LAX is SpaceX headquarters (1 Rocket Rd). They have a landed rocket out front you can look at, pretty cool. The Tesla design headquarters is right behind it if you want to see an ugly cybertruck.
  • Drive down to Palos Verdes and walk the cliffs along the coast.... gorgeous. (Bluff Cove Trail or Vicente Bluffs preserves would be parking spots). Great spearfishing along that coast. Malaga Cove Ranch Market has some of the best homemade chips and seafood salad I have ever had. If I struck out on spearfshing I'd stop in there and grab some all the time.
  • Or Drive the 1 north along the coast to Malibu. Won't be as scenic as Palos Verdes and more traffic.

Last edited:

Htm84

WKR
I’d run up mount Baldy or any of the other peaks around it. Lots of bighorns on the devils backbone trail. Then grab some Mexican food.

Fowl Play

WKR
Yeah.... I 2nd the food.... when you have tons of competition only the best survive. Any little hole in the wall you see with 4.5 stars and above on google is going to knock your socks off majority of the time. I hold some very controversial beliefs that the best Mexican food in the world is actually found in San Diego, CA.... LA has some fine restaurants as well.

Id just check out good food spots. I asked my buddy that grew up there for some recs and will post when he gets back to me
Edit to add: he says to check out lawrys for the best prime rib or the water grill for seafood

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
If you’re into ramen there’s many fantastic ramen places to eat. A couple shops straight from Japan opened up in LA.

Labrea tar pit museum
gene autry western heritage museum.

both are a couple of hours.

beach communities like Santa Monica Venice and marina del Rey + the South Bay are good for dinner And not far from airport.