Stupid ? about Colorado elk draw - which units to start building preference points?

TravisIN

WKR
If you put in for a preference point and go ahead and select the option to go ahead and purchase an otc tag do you still have to buy the small game license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
If you put in for a preference point and go ahead and select the option to go ahead and purchase an otc tag do you still have to buy the small game license?

Yes, or a Spring Turkey, or other qualifying license- otherwise you will not receive a PP.

cnelk

WKR
I think you guys are confusing yourselves - Its really not that difficult to understand

1- If you apply for ANYTHING [PP or Tag] you will need a qualifying license. Period

2- You will be charged a APP FEE of $7 Res / $9 NR. Period

3- The $10 Habitat Stamp will be added to your Qualifying license [Regs Pg. 3 right side of page] . Period

4- If you apply for a one of the Big 3, You will be also charged a PP/WP Fee of $50 Res /$100 NR - with the option to opt out

5- You do NOT need a qualifying license if you buy an OTC tag. Period

I think you guys are confusing yourselves - Its really not that difficult to understand

1- If you apply for ANYTHING [PP or Tag] you will need a qualifying license. Period

2- You will be charged a APP FEE of $7 Res / $9 NR. Period

3- The $10 Habitat Stamp will be added to your Qualifying license [Regs Pg. 3 right side of page] . Period

4- If you apply for a one of the Big 3, You will be also charged a PP/WP Fee of $50 Res /$100 NR - with the option to opt out

What he said. It's not that expensive either. It's more than that in most western states.

OP
Newtosavage

It would be more clear if they had not chosen to highlight the word ONLY in bold. That makes it sound like you won't be charged for a license at all, unless you are drawn.

When you submit your application, you will ONLY be charged the application processing fee per species. Your credit card information will be kept on file and ONLY charged the license fee if you receive a license from the draw

The proper way to write that would be "After you purchase a qualifying license and submit your application, you will ONLY..." etc.

It's not that expensive either. It's more than that in most western states.

I consider paying $90 for a license I may not (probably won't) even use to be a form of extortion. What % of people who are forced to pay for a small game license will actually use it? Probably less than 10%. Maybe even less than 5%. I don't know anyone who hunts small game while hunting deer or elk, although I'm sure there are always a few who do.

It would have made a heluva lot more sense to make the bear license a qualifying license, since it appears they are trying to take more bear these days, and since people who are hunting deer or elk are already carrying the weapon they would use for bear.

Or make the annual non-resident fishing license a qualifying license, since many of us find ourselves in CO at other times of the year to fish or camp or especially scout. Being able to fish during those times with a qualifying license would make sense.

But the small game license? Nothing more than extortion and they know it.

Fatcamp

WKR
It has to do with taxes I believe. Pittman-Roberts applies to licenses, not PP?

That's all I can come up with. Totally agree on fishing license. It would actually add Colorado to my vacation list, where it does not currently reside.

cnelk

WKR
Newtosavage - your complaints are directed for NonRes specifically, as most if not all Res hunters buy a small game & fishing license each year.

Remember, its all a choice.

Also, In the future, dont be surprised the 'qualifying license' will migrate into a true Pref Point Fee. like many other western states already have in place.

OP
Newtosavage
It has to do with taxes I believe. Pittman-Roberts applies to licenses, not PP?

That's all I can come up with. Totally agree on fishing license. It would actually add Colorado to my vacation list, where it does not currently reside.

If that were the case, then just add the Bear license. It's more than the small game license, and will be much more likely to be used by hunters. If they are trying to reduce bear numbers, they would have done this. Not sure why it was left out of the qualifying list.

OP
Newtosavage
Newtosavage - your complaints are directed for NonRes specifically, as most if not all Res hunters buy a small game & fishing license each year.

Remember, its all a choice.

Also, In the future, dont be surprised the 'qualifying license' will migrate into a true Pref Point Fee. like many other western states already have in place.

Well, I'm not a CO resident yet. LOL But once I am, I will gladly buy my small game and fishing license regardless of the big game draw.

I'm aware it's all a choice. Maybe they are thinking that rather than just charge a blanket (useless to the hunter) fee for a PP, they are "giving" the hunter something they can use. To which I would ask why they didn't include the bear license. That seems like a no-brainer to me.

I would have had more respect for the decision had they charged a simple fee that was deducted from the cost of the license if you were drawn. Then it wouldn't look like such a poorly disguised money grab. I mean, if a person just wants a PP or isn't drawn, are they going to use a small game license anyway? Probably not. So, $100 to apply then if you're drawn, the license is reduced by $100 when you pay for it. If you don't pay, then you still get charged the $100, but no PP. That would make too much sense though. LOL

Like I said, I wrote hunting regs for years at a more local level, and I understand the challenge of getting everything exactly right. You can never please everyone, ever. They will get all the feedback (and more) that they want on this change this year and hopefully will adjust things for next year. If they just added the damn $100 bear tag as a qualifying license, I would be all-in since I've considered adding the bear tag every year already. And frankly WOULD have just bought one this year in order to apply, had they not come up with the stupid small game license requirement. That just pi$$es me off. It was too easy to get that right.

BUT, it does help me make my decision on how to approach my tags this year. Off to the leftover list again for me. ;)

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It would be more clear if they had not chosen to highlight the word ONLY in bold. That makes it sound like you won't be charged for a license at all, unless you are drawn. That is correct........if you are not drawn they won't charge you for that license fee.

The proper way to write that would be "After you purchase a qualifying license and submit your application, you will ONLY..." etc.

They already covered the "qualifying license" lingo earlier in the pamphlet. So that's already in the past.......you've bought your qualifying license..........and NOW we're on to the actual draw.........which they then cover with the "ONLY" comment.

davsco

WKR
that's the way i read it also, but weird you don't need a base/small game/qualifying license and then an elk tag on top of that to hunt big game.

Well, I'm not a CO resident yet. LOL But once I am, I will gladly buy my small game and fishing license regardless of the big game draw.

I'm aware it's all a choice. Maybe they are thinking that rather than just charge a blanket (useless to the hunter) fee for a PP, they are "giving" the hunter something they can use. To which I would ask why they didn't include the bear license. That seems like a no-brainer to me.

I would have had more respect for the decision had they charged a simple fee that was deducted from the cost of the license if you were drawn. So, $100 to apply then if you're drawn, the license is reduced by $100 when you pay for it. If you don't pay, then you still get charged the $100, but no PP. That would make too much sense though. LOL

Like I said, I wrote hunting regs for years at a more local level, and I understand the challenge of getting everything exactly right. You can never please everyone, ever. They will get all the feedback (and more) that they want on this change this year and hopefully will adjust things for next year. If they just added the damn $100 bear tag as a qualifying license, I would be all-in since I've considered adding the bear tag every year already. And frankly WOULD have just bought one this year in order to apply, had they not come up with the stupid small game license requirement. That just pi$$es me off. It was too easy to get that right.

BUT, it does help me make my decision on how to approach my tags this year. Off to the leftover list again for me. ;)
You're going to be extra pissed off next year when the new season structure takes effect!

I don't think you're understanding the "license" terminology that CO uses. Each tag is a license. You don't get any refund on a license. If you are drawn you are then charged for the license (tag) that you draw, otherwise you get your PP. General Fall hunting licenses do not go on sale until after the draw, which is why you cannot buy a fall bear license to qualify for the draw.

OP
Newtosavage
They already covered the "qualifying license" lingo earlier in the pamphlet. So that's already in the past.......you've bought your qualifying license..........and NOW we're on to the actual draw.........which they then cover with the "ONLY" comment.
I'm aware of that. I was suggesting ways to have made it more clear. And simply suggesting it is clear enough as it is, is disingenuous considering that CPW is being flooded with calls about this very thing at the moment.

OP
Newtosavage
You're going to be extra pissed off next year when the new season structure takes effect!

I don't think you're understanding the "license" terminology that CO uses. Each tag is a license. You don't get any refund on a license. If you are drawn you are then charged for the license (tag) that you draw, otherwise you get your PP. General Fall hunting licenses do not go on sale until after the draw, which is why you cannot buy a fall bear license to qualify for the draw.

Nope, not confused. They could have made that available if they had wanted to. States make exceptions to the rules all the time, every year.

They are free to do what they want as am I. If they want NR $ then they won't make too many mistakes. I've given the state of Colorado more of my money in the past 4 years than 10 residents combined. ;)

Although it may be a hard pill to swallow for lifelong CO residents, those same residents enjoy a lot of benefits year-round that are brought to them courtesy of NR dollars. And the NR's only see those benefits for the brief time they are in-state.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm aware of that. I was suggesting ways to have made it more clear. And simply suggesting it is clear enough as it is, is disingenuous considering that CPW is being flooded with calls about this very thing at the moment.

Actually it could have been "crystal" clear and they'd still get flooded with calls. I think that driving is very clear and easy to understand, yet it seems that 90%+ of the drivers on the road still can't figure it out.

OP
Newtosavage
Actually it could have been "crystal" clear and they'd still get flooded with calls. I think that driving is very clear and easy to understand, yet it seems that 90%+ of the drivers on the road still can't figure it out.
LOL you're probably right about that, and definitely right about driving. ;)