Stupid ? about Colorado elk draw - which units to start building preference points?

EDW

FNG
I just received the new regulations. It appears that it will cast approximately $100. to apply for an elk tag. There are several ways to look at the new fees. If you are a non-resident a premium draw unit will take many years to draw. The cost for these points can amount to a significant amount of money. You could put these funds to use now and purchase land owner tags. This would allow you to have a more private hunt. Some of the premium units can take 10 years or more to draw, some over 20. You can still put in for a point and try for a second or third choice as explained earlier. I put for a point for many years and hunted OTC units until I drew unit several years ago. The wait was worth it with a 360 bull.

OP
Newtosavage
I was unaware that you pay taxes in Colorado.
LOL I saw that one coming. Figure out what % of your taxes go to CPW and get back to me. ;)

This will help:

Today, less than 1 percent of CPW's money comes from the general fund, down from about a third in 2010. More than half the agency's funds come from park entrance passes and camping, registration and hunters' and anglers' license fees.

https://gazette.com/government/as-s...cle_f3de8e3c-472e-5566-831f-2bb445ae8ea2.html

FWIW, I wish I was paying CO taxes and not TX, but I'll get there to help you out soon enough. :D

(and there is an elevator to success. It's called inheritance ;) )

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR
I think you guys are confusing yourselves - Its really not that difficult to understand

1- If you apply for ANYTHING [PP or Tag] you will need a qualifying license. Period

2- You will be charged a APP FEE of $7 Res / $9 NR. Period

3- The $10 Habitat Stamp will be added to your Qualifying license [Regs Pg. 3 right side of page] . Period

4- If you apply for a one of the Big 3, You will be also charged a PP/WP Fee of $50 Res /$100 NR - with the option to opt out

5- You do NOT need a qualifying license if you buy an OTC tag. Period

Well I'm definitely out of the pp game, wasn't really for me anyway, I'll just continue to go yearly on otc tags.

OP
Newtosavage
Well I'm definitely out of the pp game, wasn't really for me anyway, I'll just continue to go yearly on otc tags.

I wonder what the net loss (or gain?) to CPW will be due to this change. Would like to understand the reasoning behind it too. I think the leftover list will tell the story this year.

LOL I saw that one coming. Figure out what % of your taxes go to CPW and get back to me. ;)

This will help:

https://gazette.com/government/as-s...cle_f3de8e3c-472e-5566-831f-2bb445ae8ea2.html

FWIW, I wish I was paying CO taxes and not TX, but I'll get there to help you out soon enough. :D

(and there is an elevator to success. It's called inheritance ;) )

You said the state of CO, not CPW.

Almost every nonresident pays more than the resident in most, if not all states.

MtGomer

WKR
$90 is extortion 🙄.
I wish more guys thought that way. Makes the odds better for the rest of us. Sure beats the $19 we paid last year to ruin the odds for Moose,sheep, goat

OP
Newtosavage
You said the state of CO, not CPW.

Almost every nonresident pays more than the resident in most, if not all states.
You're right. I mean CPW. My bad. And yes, it's the same here in TX.

My point was just that CPW surely has calculated the potential cost of alienating NR's with added fees for their big game draw. Perhaps, as MtGomer points out, so long as every state is doing it, they aren't at risk of pushing people away.

MtGomer, I'm not going to argue with you about what is or isn't extortion. I just said that because people are being forced to pay for something they won't use. It would have been more honest IMO to just say there will be a fee to apply or to obtain PP's. The least they could have done was offer more options than just the small game license. Make me buy a fishing license to apply, and I'd be happy to. Heck, don't even include it in the big game license fee if you don't want to. I wouldn't care. At least I know I'll use the fishing license every year.

Sorry if it bothers some folks when people are annoyed by having to pay extra for nothing. Not all of us are made of money. It's a stretch every year for me just to pay for the NR elk cow tag. Let alone a bull tag PLUS another added fee. Especially for a state that claims to have a population problem. I've seriously been looking at just hunting muleys with my son (a DV and CO resident) for a few years to save money.

The $100 bear tag was a move in the right direction if they are actually serious about managing wildlife populations.

cnelk

WKR
Unlike some that post on this thread, I dont mind sending $$$ to several State Game&Fish agencies each year knowing that I may not draw a tag, go fishing, or hunt small game.

One thing I do know is that these dollars are going to help support/manage fish&wildlife, and without them I wouldnt be able to do that.

OP
Newtosavage
Unlike some that post on this thread, I dont mind sending $$$ to several State Game&Fish agencies each year knowing that I may not draw a tag, go fishing, or hunt small game.

One thing I do know is that these dollars are going to help support/manage fish&wildlife, and without them I wouldnt be able to do that.

Be careful not to fall off that high horse of yours...

If you're implying that I mind, you are sorely mistaken. I've spent my entire professional career and much of my personal time contributing to wildlife conservation. What I do mind is when folks who are already footing most of the bill are asked to pay for something they won't use, and I always mind poorly executed public policy especially when the right answer is relatively simple. I laid out several scenarios above that would have made more sense than to require people to buy a license they won't use.

I've contributed over $2500 to CPW in the past four years (how long would it take a resident to contribute that much to CPW?) in addition to the hundreds of dollars I've sent to TPWD. I've yet to take an animal of any kind in CO, aside from a few fish. Not sure what % of folks that puts me in, but I'm sure it's more than most and less than some.

Different people have different amounts of disposable income. Hunting out of state has become a rich man's proposition, at a time when hunter numbers are on the decline. That's a dangerous formula IMO. We should all be concerned about that and looking for ways to reverse that trend. I doubt asking someone to pay $90 for a tag they don't need or want is the answer, but I've been wrong before.

Like I said before, residents of most western states NEED non residents if they are to enjoy all the things they are accustomed to. They may not like it, but the alternative is pretty dire in these days of state budgets. And we don't even mind if you enjoy all those benefits for the 50 weeks a year we aren't around. ;)

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
"I've contributed over $2500 to CPW in the past four years (how many residents can say that?) in addition to the hundreds of dollars I've sent to TPWD. "

Are you bragging or complaining? Please confirm

OP
Newtosavage
Just responding. That's not a fraction of what some folks have spent.

You seem to have an issue of some kind. Probably chaps you that folks come from out of state to hunt. It's a common refrain from residents. I heard it for years when I lived in Illinois. Rarely were those residents willing to admit that it was those out of state dollars that were keeping their state game agencies afloat. I guess that's human nature though.

Your comments sure sound a lot like "just give our CPW your money and shut up..." ;)

cnelk

WKR
NonRes are not an issue for me, in fact I archery hunt elk with 3 NR each year.

Im out

ericF

WKR
I'm late to the thread, but after reading some of the comments about buying a leftover tag to avoid having to buy a hunting/fishing license I figured some people might be interested to know that will only work this year. Starting in 2020, they are going to start doing a secondary draw. This draw will occur in July and will include any tag that wasn't sold or that wasn't payed for. They are doing this for a number of reasons which they state in the following Commission Meeting PDF. I imagine most tags of worth will be taken in the secondary drawing with few making their way to the leftover list.

CPW January Regulations

OP
Newtosavage
NonRes are not an issue for me, in fact I archery hunt elk with 3 NR each year.

Im out
I hope you thank them every year.

that will only work this year. Starting in 2020, they are going to start doing a secondary draw. This draw will occur in July and will include any tag that wasn't sold or that wasn't payed for. They are doing this for a number of reasons which they state in the following Commission Meeting PDF. I imagine most tags of worth will be taken in the secondary drawing with few making their way to the leftover list.

Thanks for that info.

Secondary draws are pretty common. They do that here in TX for the state areas and leases. I was surprised that CO didn't do that before actually.

If the draws become too expensive or cumbersome, I'll just hunt on OTC licenses. If those areas aren't high enough quality, eventually I'll just go to other states or just not bother. Every state has to be careful that they don't price themselves out of the game.

I wonder how often states get together to compare notes. I'm sure there has been pressure on Colorado by neighboring states, to increase their costs and reduce the OTC opportunities considering how many people drive through other states to get to CO because of those OTC tags.

OK, I bite, what's going to be the new season structure next year?
We the people are not privy on the details yet but it sounds like we are headed for more draw and less OTC, especially during the archery season. There is an effort to help address hunter overcrowding in certain areas and times of year. There is a lot of outcry from residents in general about the flood of non-residents during certain seasons.

Nope, not confused. They could have made that available if they had wanted to. States make exceptions to the rules all the time, every year.

They are free to do what they want as am I. If they want NR $ then they won't make too many mistakes. I've given the state of Colorado more of my money in the past 4 years than 10 residents combined. ;)

Although it may be a hard pill to swallow for lifelong CO residents, those same residents enjoy a lot of benefits year-round that are brought to them courtesy of NR dollars. And the NR's only see those benefits for the brief time they are in-state.
I see it differently. It's the government of Colorado's job to take care of it's wildlife and it's citizens. It's not a perfect world or perfect system but they are obligated to cater to the resident.

I'm late to the thread, but after reading some of the comments about buying a leftover tag to avoid having to buy a hunting/fishing license I figured some people might be interested to know that will only work this year. Starting in 2020, they are going to start doing a secondary draw. This draw will occur in July and will include any tag that wasn't sold or that wasn't payed for. They are doing this for a number of reasons which they state in the following Commission Meeting PDF. I imagine most tags of worth will be taken in the secondary drawing with few making their way to the leftover list.

CPW January Regulations

I didn't scroll through and read the CPW notes. But what is the difference compared to what they already do?

You apply for the draw, don't draw, and if you checked the box you can apply for the leftover draw. Which is all the tags that were not applied for in the first draw.