Stupid idea?

jt4

WKR
I wanted a great all around rifle. Looked for a while and found a good deal on a new tikka t3x lite 30-06. 2 days later found a good deal on a kimber Montana 308.

Way too much overlap to keep both right? I only have one scope to put on. I know shooting both will be the determining factor, just wanted to open a thread for the hell of it and hopefully create some interesting discussion and comparisons.

Spoonbill

WKR
One is a push feed and one is a controlled round feed, those are different enough to buy a second scope and keep both.

hodgeman

WKR
There is no practical advantage to having a 308 and a 30-06. Field results will be identical.

Pick your favorite and send the other one down the road.

OXN939

WKR
I have a .308 and am about to pick up an '06. One is a Hogue stocked, cerakoted all weather carbine, and the other is the classic American Walnut-stocked Remington 700 BDL. Very different guns, even though the calibers are similar.

Ballistically speaking, the 2" longer barrel of the '06 will probably be 150 or 200 FPS faster than the .308 with the same projectiles. Not a *huge* difference, but enough to give you a little more range.

kickemall

WKR
Tikka because my experience with them has been very good and not so much with Kimber. However, if you like the Kimber and it shoots good then when you have 400 bucks to spare buy an SWFA scope and keep them both. It’s always good to have a back up.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
If you can only keep one I’d mount the door on them and shoot them both and see which one shoots the best and keep that one.

Spend $100 and get the Kimber pillar bedded and make sure the barrel is not contacting the stock.
They tend to shoot well if you hand load after a good bedding job at least with my experience

Keep the ones you like