Sub $500 scope for a 22lr recommendation

work765

WKR
Decided to grab a 22lr for my sons first rifle And for me to train with.
Any recommendations on a good scope for it?
Ideally If possible I would like to stay away from a rim fire scope because I can’t use it on any other rifles.
Thoughts are if it’s my sons first real rifle. It will probably see a lot of 50 yard shots and under from him. So I would want the parallax to be adjustable to that. But I’ll probably be shooting it a bit further.

I would also like to be able to dial with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushnell Fullfeild 2 in 3-9 , should be able to pick one up well under $2002DE987CC-32A4-4B88-8AF5-AAE22ED24EFF.jpeg
sorry I didn’t see the bit about dialing, but this is a great scope, no need to worry about parallax using it on a 22 up close, just stick to lower power

Last edited:
Swfa 6x easily. I don’t hate the10x but 6x is plenty for 30 mils of elevation shots where I’m at.

For Yucks I had a elite tactical 3.5-21 this week but having 10 yard parallax is nice at times and honestly besides a couple times checking bullet holes it sat at 6-8x anyways.

ChrisA

WKR
I like my Leupold VX II 3-9x33 EFR on my Kimber K22. Not sure if they are still in production but I see they have EFRs in their Freedom line for under $400.

My old 10/22 wears a Tasco World Class 3-10 from about 1986, it works to the point I haven't wanted to upgrade yet.

Chris

Nikon 223 series is a reasonable option and cheap now that they are discontinued. I have one sitting on my 10/22 right now.

Invest in some decent ammo. The Walmart grade 22lr I have is pretty inconsistent. I haven’t put it through a chrono but You can actually hear the difference in the powder charges as you shoot. Every now and then you get a “pfft” and a Very low flyer.

BAKPAKR

WKR
What size is your son, what 22 are you planning on getting, and how much farther than 50 yards do you plan on shooting?

I like the idea of the 6x SWFA suggested but it is a relatively heavy scope (for a 22) and it wouldn’t be my first choice if your son is fairly young/small. What I would suggest for a Tikka T1X would be different than what I would recommend for a Henry lever action. If you are thinking you might want to try out to 300 yards, you will have close to 40 MOA difference in impact from a 50 yard zero so it is very helpful to have lots of internal adjustment or a reticle with hash marks or mil-dots.

22lr

WKR
I had a very early model Vortex Crossfire, actually was a pretty decent scope for the money it worked great on my 22s and up to my 30-06 before I upgraded. For your budget you could really easily get into a Diamondback Tactical FFP model that would have the full range of tactical features perfect for a kiddo and also an outright pretty decent scope that you could put on any rifle. Side adjustable parallax, dials for windage, elevation and several really nice reticle options... I don't have a tactical model but currently have a regular Diamondback model and have nothing bad to say about it for what they are. They are fairly easily found for $350-400. They are not the same quality as a $1500 tactical scopes, but they also only cost $350 so...

16Bore

WKR
Redfield Tac 22. Pretty fun little scope for a 22. Not fancy, but the spring loaded turrets are f’n handy.

For $475 I put a 3-9 swfa on my tikka t1x. It’s overkill, but I have the same scope on my 30-06 so I get lots of practice dialing it.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold rimfire efr 3-9x33. I can't imagine a better scope for a 22lr for hunting at least.
Target shooting is a whole 'nother ball game though. Good luck

OP
W

work765

WKR
What size is your son, what 22 are you planning on getting, and how much farther than 50 yards do you plan on shooting?

I like the idea of the 6x SWFA suggested but it is a relatively heavy scope (for a 22) and it wouldn’t be my first choice if your son is fairly young/small. What I would suggest for a Tikka T1X would be different than what I would recommend for a Henry lever action. If you are thinking you might want to try out to 300 yards, you will have close to 40 MOA difference in impact from a 50 yard zero so it is very helpful to have lots of internal adjustment or a reticle with hash marks or mil-dots.

Its a Tikka t1x. He's going to be 9 yrs old soon. My plans with the gun are to get him shooting and running a bolt gun. Teaching him to shoot/hunt. We'll probably be in the desert tryin for rabbits, or setup targets. But im sure if I go to the range I'll take the rifle with me and try for some steel past 100yrds.

What happened to learning with iron sites? Granted it seems like hardly any gun comes with them anymore. I kinda think it's a building block personally.

I think cameraland had some pretty good sale prices on some Bushnell's for what I saw last I looked. I'd check them as they are a sponsor here.

OP
W

work765

WKR
What happened to learning with iron sites? Granted it seems like hardly any gun comes with them anymore. I kinda think it's a building block personally.

I think cameraland had some pretty good sale prices on some Bushnell's for what I saw last I looked. I'd check them as they are a sponsor here.

His Nerf gun has iron sites lol
I’ll check out Camerland. See what they got. Thanks

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm all for top notch optics but on a 22 at 50 to 100 yards there are many 3-9x variable scopes under $200 that would be great. Nikon, Redfield, Bushnell

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
I think you need to decide whether you want to scope this rifle primarily for your son or for you. I have a 10 year old daughter. I am thinking about getting her a T1X and putting a 9.5 oz. SWFA 2.5-10 Ultralight Rimfire scope on it (parallax adjusted to 50 yards). The simple plex reticle and light weight would be great for a child. Although I have not seen the rimfire version, I have the standard version on a 223 and I really like it. Also, since the T1X does not have sights, I am not sure why you would be switching the scope to any other rifle. I think the Weaver and Leupold adjustable objective 3-9s have been discontinued but, if you could find one, either of those would be good scopes, too.

If Tikka starts offering the T1X in a left hand version, I plan on getting one for myself. I will scope it with a SWFA 6x, which will have the same reticle that is on the 19 oz SWFA 3-9x mounted on my T3X.

BTW - I have a SWFA 10X on a CZ 22. For me, the reticle is a bit fine for general use. The reticle on the 6x is thicker.

Dunndm

WKR
I’ve got a Nikon.... something? I picked up from the classfields. It was 60$ and I’ve shot well over 3000 shots with it and still is going good. I don’t think you need a 300-500$ sight for anything under 100 yard shots honestly. I do 95%of my shooting 20-70 yards and I hunt with it. Just a personal opinion. If money isn’t a problem, then by all means I’d choose one of the more expensive ones listed above