Sub $500 scope for a 22lr recommendation

Terrapin

WKR
I put a Vortex 6-24 Crossfire Tactical FFP on my Tikka T1X. So far it has performed as expected. That may be more power and weight than a youngster would want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

work765

WKR
A $500 scope for your son's first .22 @ 50 yards? WTH am I missing here?

WTH ever happened to making your kids "earn their way" to good gear?

I’ll be using it too and I’m a sucker for good glass.

A $500 scope for your son's first .22 @ 50 yards? WTH am I missing here?

WTH ever happened to making your kids "earn their way" to good gear?

I definitely hear what your saying with this. I don’t spend a ton on hunting clothes for my boys (7 and 5) until they stop growing. Generic camo from Target is just fine for now

But for this... nothing is more frustrating than chasing issues with why a bullet magically went off track. I’ve been there, and I bet most here have too. If everything is solid there’s no guess work. I know the road I travel to shoot is enough to rattle teeth loose and mess up zeros on cheap scopes.

All that said.... I’m looking to get a plain iron sights Rascal or similar for them to learn with. Shooting soup cans or clay pigeons at 20 yards or so to build confidence and understand fundamentals.

I don't know man, I've had a Simmons 4x32 on my springer RWS air rifle for 4 years that's held it's zero, and those are some tough rifles on scopes.

I just see too many parents these days handing their kids alpha-class gear and that doesn't leave much room for the kid to grow when they are out on their own.

But it's your money, and your kids.