Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

I’m about to explode some heads when I say after owning a suppressor since October and hunting with it, it’s kinda cool but has its drawbacks on a hunting rifle.

1) adds weight to the muzzle and changes the balance of the rifle.

2) adds length to the rifle and can make it not as maneuverable/compact

3) reduces blast and some recoil but on a light kicker like 6.5 Creedmoor, it wasn’t bad to begin with.

4) Expensive

I own 1 Tikka CTRs and 1 Tikka UPR 20” barrels (308 and 6.5 Creedmoor) and for hunting rifles, they are great in their stock configuration. For hunting, where there is only 1-2 shots max on a trip, a short rifle with no can or brake is light and not bad on the ears.

So I’m actually going to say, I’ll keep the can for now but I see it more useful at extended range sessions vs hunting.

For a pure hunting rifle, I don’t see the tremendous value that others find with a can.

giphy.gif

Rookie review. You're supposed to chop the barrel AND run a suppressor. This is the way.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Thanks for posting your experience and opinion on this topic, especially since I agree with it 100%. :D

I have been wondering if I was truly missing something with these and after giving it some thought over the past 2-3 years, it just just did not seem to make a whole lot of sense unless I was shooting 100's and 100's and 100's of rounds per session and did not want to use my hearing protection and wanted to spend a lot of questionable money and wait for months and months.

To each his/her own for sure, but I could not see the value.

Eddie

WKR
I hunted with a can for the first time this year, and I now swear I'll never go without.

There's obvious sound reduction benefits for the shooter but what blew me away was the birds and squirrels. Before, when I'd let my braked 7mag uncork, the forest just went dead silent for 10 minutes. All the birds and squirrels in my corner of the valley would vanish. When I shot with the can, it was like nature didn't even notice. Everything kept chirping and rustling and the other deer were startled but didn't fully bolt. I thought it was a surreal experience. I loved it.

BigAl!

WKR
My head did just explode lol. While I think the points you mention are fair and to each their own, absolutely. But I also disagree with "For hunting, where there is only 1-2 shots max on a trip, a short rifle with no can or brake is light and not bad on the ears". That is not true in the slightest, because the ringing you hear after 1-2 shots is permanent hearing damage. If you had a decent can on for those 1 or 2 shots, it would be greatly lessened.

TX_Diver

WKR
I hunted with a can for the first time this year, and I now swear I'll never go without.

There's obvious sound reduction benefits for the shooter but what blew me away was the birds and squirrels. Before, when I'd let my braked 7mag uncork, the forest just went dead silent for 10 minutes. All the birds and squirrels in my corner of the valley would vanish. When I shot with the can, it was like nature didn't even notice. Everything kept chirping and rustling and the other deer were startled but didn't fully bolt. I thought it was a surreal experience. I loved it.
Could be nothing changed but you just couldn’t hear for 10 min before 😂

Geewhiz

WKR
For a pure hunting rifle, I don’t see the tremendous value that others find with a can.

1. Talking your wife or a young hunter through their shot sequence (or anybody for that matter)

2. Not having to worry about ear pro.

3. Shooting an elk out of a heard of 60 bedded elk and they all just stay bedded.

4. Airball your first shot with allowance for a follow up shot.

5. Flinch (for me at least) at least partially stems from a giant kaboom and does not exist with a suppressed weapon

6. Recoil reduction.

and on. and on. and on....

But hey, less people in line with the ATF means my stamps get approved sooner.

JGRaider

WKR
I’m about to explode some heads when I say after owning a suppressor since October and hunting with it, it’s kinda cool but has its drawbacks on a hunting rifle.

1) adds weight to the muzzle and changes the balance of the rifle.

2) adds length to the rifle and can make it not as maneuverable/compact

3) reduces blast and some recoil but on a light kicker like 6.5 Creedmoor, it wasn’t bad to begin with.

4) Expensive

I own 1 Tikka CTRs and 1 Tikka UPR 20” barrels (308 and 6.5 Creedmoor) and for hunting rifles, they are great in their stock configuration. For hunting, where there is only 1-2 shots max on a trip, a short rifle with no can or brake is light and not bad on the ears.

So I’m actually going to say, I’ll keep the can for now but I see it more useful at extended range sessions vs hunting.

Couldn't possibly disagree more.