supressor ready and caliber suggestions

randemgun

FNG
Need some guidance here guys. I have been looking at a creedmore but dang I am so confused. I shoot max 125 yards for Florida whitetails and hogs. Would like gun with a 20 inch suppressor ready barrel somewhere in the $500 range. I hunt from a treestand. Suggestions please.

z987k

WKR
Creedmoor would work. In 6 or 6.5. Some of the howas come threaded with a 20in barrel. You can get the ruger American like that in that price range.

There was a deal going on the xbolt Stalker spr just a bit above your price.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What’s your questions?

Here are some links to threaded models in your price range. Big box stores in person will sometimes match prices of online stores.

Here is another store with some that might work.

Your choices are limited with a 20” inch barrel, but here are some specific models.

CZ Alpha is on sale places and has a $100 rebate for total of $400 plus tax and fees. It is threaded but longer than 20”.

Buds is a good place to shop for them at good prices.

Ruger American predator is around 400. They make a 18” 308 and also a 6.5cm that I think is 22”? Comes threaded and is a tack driver. I got a 308 because it’s so cheap to shoot. With my suppressor there is almost no recoil. Benefits of the 6.5 will only show at longer ranges so pick either, I’d go with 308 in your instance.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree that the short barreled 18” 308 would be a good choice suppressed. Inside 200 yards caliber matters much less. Having a short and handy rifle trumps. I started with 26” long range precision barrels and am now at 20 to 22” barrels.

I would personally choose a smaller caliber as well, but it is hard to find factory short barrels except in 308.

A 20 inch factory threaded barrel is going to narrow the options a bit.

I bought one of the Ruger American Predator rifles in .243 with a 22 inch barrel and use an AAC 762SD suppressor on it for ground blind hunting. The rifle shoots a lot more accurately than I expected for the price.

I believe Ruger offers these in .308 with an 18 inch barrel and 350 Legend with a 16 1/2 or 20 inch barrel.

Edit- You might check Tikka's website, I think they offer some rifles with threaded barrels.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I own two of the Ruger American compact 6.5 creeds with the 20” threaded barrel and they are unbelievably accurate. The first four shots out of the barrel were 1/2” at 100 yards with three being one ragged hole. That being said for what you want I agree with the 18” 308 suggestions. I am in Florida as well and I hunt all over the Southeast and Midwest and 99 times out of 100 I’m carrying a 16” 308 with a suppressor unless I know I have a shot over 450ish. Last year I shot a buck at 275 and the year before that was 350 and the year before that was 325. Never felt remotely undergunned.

ElPollo

WKR
For Florida, buy the bolt gun you want in 223 and don’t worry about the barrel. Then take it to your local smith and have him cut to 16 and thread. You really don’t need the bigger caliber and less recoil makes it easier to shoot better. There is plenty on this in the 223 for deer, elk, bear, moose thread. If you haven’t seen it, it’s worth looking. With the right bullets, that little round will do massive damage. If it can handle moose, it can handle pigs and itty bitty Florida deer. If you don’t handload, buy the Black Hills 77 TMK factory loads or Hornady 73 gr ELDM to hunt with. Buy Hornady Frontier or similar for practice and shoot the shit out of it. Lots of people will recommend Tikkas here and I’d be one of them. They more than $500, but they are just a super dependable gun with a slick action, good magazines, and a great trigger. And you can get them in stainless for that wet Florida climate. If you buy something cheaper you’ll probably end up selling it and upgrading later.

Need some guidance here guys. I have been looking at a creedmore but dang I am so confused. I shoot max 125 yards for Florida whitetails and hogs. Would like gun with a 20 inch suppressor ready barrel somewhere in the $500 range. I hunt from a treestand. Suggestions please.

Given your hunting conditions stated, why are you enamored with the Creedmoor?

The .308 is perfect for the conditions you stated and much more versatile with likely hundreds more factory ammo options available.

I fail to see the upside of a Creedmoor for your stated purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wyogoat

WKR

The .308 is perfect for the conditions you stated and much more versatile with likely hundreds more factory ammo options available.

I’m a CM guy and totally agree with this based on what you are wanting to do.

fmyth

WKR

I ran a quick search for ammo on Ammoseek.com for both .308 and 6.5C. If you exclude FMJ ammo from the search you get over 500 vendor listings for both with ammo starting at .80 a round for .308 and .84 a round for the 6.5C. The gap in ammo pricing seems to be narrowing as the popularity of the 6.5C increases.

OP
R

randemgun

FNG
Ruger American predator is around 400. They make a 18” 308 and also a 6.5cm that I think is 22”? Comes threaded and is a tack driver. I got a 308 because it’s so cheap to shoot. With my suppressor there is almost no recoil. Benefits of the 6.5 will only show at longer ranges so pick either, I’d go with 308 in your instance.
sold!