supressor ready and caliber suggestions

If you want 308 bolt gun with 20" spr the cz600 for $399 after rebate is a smokin deal for a good "budget" gun. I like the action and feel of it over a ruger american.

My top 3, not in any particular order, would be:
Cz600 308
Ruger american ranch in 223 or 6.5 grendel
Howa mini action 6arc

ElPollo

WKR
Yep, for the listed criteria a Scout in 300 Blackout would work just fine too.
300 BO would be fine for this, but ammo is expensive and can be hard to find. 243 would be significantly cheaper and more available. I always figure your best bet is to focus on guns you will want to shoot a lot and will be able to afford to do so.

ElPollo

WKR
If you want 308 bolt gun with 20" spr the cz600 for $399 after rebate is a smokin deal for a good "budget" gun. I like the action and feel of it over a ruger american.

My top 3, not in any particular order, would be:
Cz600 308
Ruger american ranch in 223 or 6.5 grendel
Howa mini action 6arc
No experience with the CZ 600 and I don’t know anyone else who does.

Ruger Americans will shoot, but have crappy flexible stocks and are prone to small parts breakage, the feeding and magazines suck, and the actions are far from smooth. The aftermarket for upgrading them is pretty much non-existent. And if you could, you won’t get your money back out of it if you sell it. They are also more than $500.

Howa minis have issues with feeding from the magazines unless you swap the floorplate. The actions are also pretty rough (you can smooth them). The triggers can be improved significantly if you swap out the springs. You can get these for right at $500 but the factory stocks suck. The carbon stock versions have a decent Stocky’s stock, but are more expensive.

If you want to buy something for $500, plan on sinking some coin into it or dealing with issues. Going cheap is a caveat emptor situation. If you are going to spend $800 to a grand on a can, why put it on a POS that just annoys you?

No experience with the CZ 600 and I don’t know anyone else who does.

Ruger Americans will shoot, but have crappy flexible stocks and are prone to small parts breakage, the feeding and magazines suck, and the actions are far from smooth. The aftermarket for upgrading them is pretty much non-existent. And if you could, you won’t get your money back out of it if you sell it. They are also more than $500.

Howa minis have issues with feeding from the magazines unless you swap the floorplate. The actions are also pretty rough (you can smooth them). The triggers can be improved significantly if you swap out the springs. You can get these for right at $500 but the factory stocks suck. The carbon stock versions have a decent Stocky’s stock, but are more expensive.

If you want to buy something for $500, plan on sinking some coin into it or dealing with issues. Going cheap is a caveat emptor situation. If you are going to spend $800 to a grand on a can, why put it on a POS that just annoys you?
I totally agree, if dropping a grand on a good can I would definitely want to put it it on a nice rifle. But for some a budget can and budget rifle get the job done and they just deal with the lack of quality.

If you haven't handled a cz600 you should definitely hunt one down and handle it. The couple I've handled and one I shot were pretty nice, especially in the price range of rifles. I'd definitely say given a strict budget of under $500 in a bolt gun it's the nicest feeling bolt, trigger, and stock. I feel like this would probably be the best choice for the OP given those guidelines.

I looked into the CVA scout you mentioned. They have a model that has a 20" stainless fluted and threaded barrel, that also takes down easily. Quick gunborker search shows several of those in 243 under $400. That would be a great choice as well.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing wrong with a Ruger predator in .308. I've been shooting deer with one for years. In fact, this thread inspired me to order one in .223. I'll be shopping black Friday sales for a new can.

OP
R

randemgun

FNG
Given your hunting conditions stated, why are you enamored with the Creedmoor?

The .308 is perfect for the conditions you stated and much more versatile with likely hundreds more factory ammo options available.

I fail to see the upside of a Creedmoor for your stated purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you Mike, I just divorced the creedmore and looking at the 308
Ruger American Predator 308 18” barrel. $400, tack driver, minimal recoil and noise, cheap to shoot A LOT
View attachment 625297
Ordered last night, $399 plus tax. What ammo is working for you,?
Nothing wrong with a Ruger predator in .308. I've been shooting deer with one for years. In fact, this thread inspired me to order one in .223. I'll be shopping black Friday sales for a new can.
thats what i ordered the 6974, i only will shoot it maybe 8 shots a year

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, enjoy!

Mine shoots 150gr SSTs the best, but for deer and hogs at 100 yards, corelokt or American whitetail are fine factory loads.

Unckebob

WKR
Need some guidance here guys. I have been looking at a creedmore but dang I am so confused. I shoot max 125 yards for Florida whitetails and hogs. Would like gun with a 20 inch suppressor ready barrel somewhere in the $500 range. I hunt from a treestand. Suggestions please.

Look at the Howa Mini or short action rifle list.

With a125 maximum distance, I would get a 300BO (bias towards quiet) or 6.5 Grendel (bias towards power) in a Howa Mini Action

They also make a 1500 in 6.5CM with a barely legal 16.5" threaded barrel. No need to modify it.

What supressor do you have?
YHM R2. Direct threaded.

It does a good job with noise & I’m happy with it for the price.

However, not sure I’d recommend after their recent warranty shenanigans & it’s a bit heavier than others. I’d consider spending just a bit more since you’re basically stuck with it for life.