Swarovski EL - Overhyped?

I think some is hype, some is habit and some is actual direct comparison. I also think since peoples vision is different, one can have a distinct preference for one piece of glass, even if it’s not regarded as well as others and that’s perfectly ok. I am color blind, for example.

My EL story:
In 2004, decided I wanted alpha glass. Frankly, one reason was I looked at used prices and realized I’d get most of my money back if I sold them one day with proper care. I was also missing animals too.

Charged $8000 on my CC getting EL, then other alpha glass at comparable price point and magnification. Zeiss, Leica, etc. Took some 3-d archery deer out to the swamp where I hunt. Stuck them in tangles, in the. Shadows, in locations with full sun, set some so I had to face the setting sun to see them, halfway behind a tree, and particularly emphasized dawn/dusk/twilight, stuff I’ve encountered with real deer.
It was all a giant pain to do this, can assure you. Also took pains to not notice the brand, just binoc a,b,c etc. and rated each. Took about 4 days, Few hours each day.
Zeiss were really great, but the Swaro EL 8.5x42 just cut thru haze and sunset glare better. Also felt the EL ergos were such it was easier to hold with less overall movement,
I’ve found that after doing a sport long enough to know you’re going to stick with it, that the “buy once, cry once” approach to my critical equipment ends up being the cheapest overall. I will start by buying a decent pair to tide me over, then buy the alpha glass. The old pair go in the truck or are used for high risk situations.
Before I would buy 4-5 pairs over time, each having a major compromise, total cost 60-80% of buying the alpha glass cost. I am very careful defining my critical equipment since one can go broke. Also, how much risk of loss or damage is part of the calculus.

Like the binocs, after buying the Swaro I felt no need in the years following to go look at other binocs. That’s because there was no problem to solve.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
I thick in the 42 version there’s many that’s as good, my old Zeiss fl’s in 10x42 still have the best ca of any new model I’ve used and equal resolution of almost any I’ve used. The 50mm el’s are the stand out for me, and imo they’re the best I’ve had, that includes NL’s, Leica hd plus and noctovids, Zeiss sf’s, HT’s and fl’s.

The 10x50 el has a pop, micro contrast the others lacked, they have a better dof than any other 10x I’ve used, good fov, and are very forgiving and the are imo the most transparent bin I’ve used other than the 8x42 nl or 7x42 Leica. The initial impression is they’re immediately better, it’s almost instant comparing to others due to the sum of factors combined.

It’s the only bin I’ve thought was an actual improvement optically over bins 15-20 years ago. So in a 42mm they’re many to choose from that’s great, the swaro el 50’s are imo are on another level imo.

I've read several comments and reviews by folks that I trust their optics knowledge that the Swarovski EL 10x50 is simply the best binocular they've ever looked through. I'd like to try some.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
If you are hunting out west for elk and mule deer or plan to hunt moose or sheep or goats in open country sometime then I’d buy the Swarovski. If you’re tree stand hunting for whitetails, and looking at stuff 100 yards away I think the vortex ones are plenty good. My son has those and I’ve used them. I like them a lot. But treat yourself if you want. Life is short.

I have been running EL's for 23 years, same pair. Warranty is exceptional, glass is excellent. I did just buy a pair of EL Range's, and I actually prefer my old pair from a glassing perspective, but the built-in rangefinder is super handy. I think the new EL's have a finer focus which is taking some getting use to. I have tried them all and worked in retail during college, AND there are many good brands/optics. tat said, Swaro's are not over-hyped, they are high quality glass. A good test is to handle a bunch of binos and focus them all on a close object to compare. Something with come color/detail is best. You can really start to see separation in the optic quality. Then test them at dawn/dark and you will see high-end glass shine.

Fritz D

FNG
I thick in the 42 version there’s many that’s as good, my old Zeiss fl’s in 10x42 still have the best ca of any new model I’ve used and equal resolution of almost any I’ve used. The 50mm el’s are the stand out for me, and imo they’re the best I’ve had, that includes NL’s, Leica hd plus and noctovids, Zeiss sf’s, HT’s and fl’s.

The 10x50 el has a pop, micro contrast the others lacked, they have a better dof than any other 10x I’ve used, good fov, and are very forgiving and the are imo the most transparent bin I’ve used other than the 8x42 nl or 7x42 Leica. The initial impression is they’re immediately better, it’s almost instant comparing to others due to the sum of factors combined.

It’s the only bin I’ve thought was an actual improvement optically over bins 15-20 years ago. So in a 42mm they’re many to choose from that’s great, the swaro el 50’s are imo are on another level imo.
I purchased the 10x42 EL way back in 2002 or 2003? It was my first ‘Alpha’ bino and I have always wanted another? I’m glad I went with the 10x50 EL SV field whatever- the- hell- they call it now? I haven’t owned a Leica or Zeiss Victory, though I got to spend some time a few years back with a Victory 8x42 and I was very impressed.
The only thing about the 10x50 is the extra 6? Ounces over the 10x42 was quite noticeable to me, at least before I got a bino harness? No worries now and I’m very happy with the 10x50 EL. 👍🏻

The EL level Swaro is underhyped if anything. It is truly difficult to describe/convey just how impressive the EL/A-S-BTX level glass is comparatively and most folks don't look through enough glass (or are simply more fiscally responsible) in field conditions to know. Lots of folks say glass quality is subjective. I think fit/color bias, eye relief and free hand stabilization are subjective elements. But an honest/objective look at resolution charts in various light conditions, and a side by side evaluation at finding game in the field especially in atmospherically challenging conditions (wildfire haze, fog, rain, heat waves) and particularly looking into shadows, you will see EL level glass pull away from most all non-euro competitors (and edges out Zeiss and Leica). The dull grey of a bedded mule deer at 1000 yards, in a grey shadow in grey/blue sage brush, in grey, fading light just pops into visual perception much more readily than most anything on the market. In a brightly lit store, there is minimal to no difference between the ELs and even mid tier Vortex/Maven but the field conditions are where the comparisons end. Japanese manufacturers (LOW (maven, vortex, etc)), and Meopta (Czech Republic) have closed the gap in recent years, but an appreciable gap still exists. A decade old set of ELs (even comparatively lower powered) will resolve and pickout the subtle colors/textures/shapes of bedded animals better than just about any bino on the market. The ELs also punch above their weight class, 12 ELs will outshine most company's 15s and the 8.5 ELs will take on most 10s. They reduce Type I (false positive) and Type II (false negative) error. How many times (and how much time) have you spent trying to figure out if that stump or rock is an animal? You can tell with ELs with little to no doubt. An additional line of admittedly anecdotal evidence is how many western guides and game wardens are using ELs as their paychecks depend on them. The NLs are also incredible but do not show an appreciable resolving capacity over the ELs and at least at the 12x level, physics are not on the NLs side, as the 50mm has 41% more surface area/light gathering capacity than the 42mm.

Last edited: