SWFA 3-15

Looking for thoughts.....I have a Winchester coyote 270WSM that has turned out to be a pretty accurate rifle. It has a Nikon buck master 6-18 on it right now but I am thinking about moving a swfa 3-15 over to it. The Nikon has a really narrow field of view and I’m not a fan of MOA scopes. My question is has anyone had any issues with the 3-15 other than weight or reticle design?

Wrench

WKR
I prefer the 3-9hd over the 15x. The reticle on my 15 had open diamonds where the 9x are closed. The open diamonds are tough to see on a brushy background.

I have videos taking the 9x well over a grand with good accuracy.

Imo, if you must have more magnification the LRHS/LRTS are close in price and clobber the swfa in every way....and that's not a slight to SWFA, I own a bunch of them.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Ps, you're flirting with danger putting trust in a nikon scope. They make great cameras and optics aside from scopes....lots of durability issues.

I have several hundred rounds through a 3-15 via 300wsm with no issues. It tracks true every single time. I haven't hunted with it much but I see the exposed windage turret needing attention to keep it at zero. I have the elevation set up with zero stop shims.
Just picked up a 3-9hd but haven't shot with it yet. It's sitting on a 300rum, I like the fixed parallax since it's being used for hunting. The turrets are stiffer than my 3-15 and the clicks are very noticeable.

OP
E
I have several hundred rounds through a 3-15 via 300wsm with no issues. It tracks true every single time. I haven't hunted with it much but I see the exposed windage turret needing attention to keep it at zero. I have the elevation set up with zero stop shims.
Just picked up a 3-9hd but haven't shot with it yet. It's sitting on a 300rum, I like the fixed parallax since it's being used for hunting. The turrets are stiffer than my 3-15 and the clicks are very noticeable.
I already have the 3-15 so that’s why I was thinking about running with it. Good to know you haven’t had any issues. I have shot it quite a bit on a 308 range setup but it doesn’t get any abuse.

Wrench

WKR
I've got swfa scopes on some snappy rigs...300WSM kimber Montana, 300rum, 270ti...they're plenty tough.

Just picked up a 3-9hd but haven't shot with it yet. It's sitting on a 300rum, I like the fixed parallax since it's being used for hunting. The turrets are stiffer than my 3-15 and the clicks are very noticeable. After seeing all the testing
I already have the 3-15 so that’s why I was thinking about running with it. Good to know you haven’t had any issues. I have shot it quite a bit on a 308 range setup but it doesn’t get any abuse.
I'll let you know how it does after this upcoming elk and mule deer season. I plan on slamming it off some deadfall and throwing it down a few scree chutes. 🤣

Wrench

WKR
Just picked up a 3-9hd but haven't shot with it yet. It's sitting on a 300rum, I like the fixed parallax since it's being used for hunting. The turrets are stiffer than my 3-15 and the clicks are very noticeable. After seeing all the testing

I'll let you know how it does after this upcoming elk and mule deer season. I plan on slamming it off some deadfall and throwing it down a few scree chutes. 🤣
My 3x9hd fell off my motorcycle at somewhere between 20-35mph. My rifle barrel mushed the muzzle enough that I had to cut it back and broke my stock.

The scope has some rash, but still tracks perfectly and has no performance issues.....living on a 300WSM Montana now.

Bater

WKR
Love my 3-15 SWFA for the money. Mines lives on a 7lb 300RUM that gets drug all over Idaho chasing elk. It’s been dialed to hell and back without issue as expected. Easy choice since you already have the scope