T3x Lite vs all other Tikka models - Practically speaking

Igloo

FNG
Wanted to ask you guys, with the caveat that I'll be using the factory polymer mags anyway, have you ever seen a practical advantage to going with any other Tikka model besides the plain T3x Lite?

Say the CTR, Roughtechs, Polyfades etc. Does the heavier barrel make it easier to shoot offhand, etc?

What do you think?

I really don't see an advantage over the T3x Lite SS, but if you are talking over the blued version, then the cerakote over SS metal is an advantage. Not really one worth the price. The threading is advantageous, but not at the barrel lengths they are using.
If they were to release a 20" barreled version of the Roughtech/Veil/D-18, then I would say it would be worth the extra $350-400 over a regular SS Lite.

LightFoot

WKR
I really don't see an advantage over the T3x Lite SS, but if you are talking over the blued version, then the cerakote over SS metal is an advantage. Not really one worth the price. The threading is advantageous, but not at the barrel lengths they are using.
If they were to release a 20" barreled version of the Roughtech/Veil/D-18, then I would say it would be worth the extra $350-400 over a regular SS Lite.

The new Roughtech offers the 6.5 creedmoor and 308 win with a 20” barrel!

>>>——JAKE——>

LightFoot

WKR
Wanted to ask you guys, with the caveat that I'll be using the factory polymer mags anyway, have you ever seen a practical advantage to going with any other Tikka model besides the plain T3x Lite?

Say the CTR, Roughtechs, Polyfades etc. Does the heavier barrel make it easier to shoot offhand, etc?

What do you think?

The only advantages are the cerakote and 5/8x24 threading, which are worth it in my opinion.

>>>——JAKE——>

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
The new Roughtech offers the 6.5 creedmoor and 308 win with a 20” barrel!

>>>——JAKE——>
I *think* the Polyfade Blackrock camo rifle is available with the Roughtech profiled fluted barrel, in stainless, 20" threaded. At least a retailer was advertising it as such.

sdupontjr

WKR
I have a T3 308 and a CTR 308. I bought the CTR for the added weight and also the 5/8-24 threads for a brake. Figured it would be a very light recoil rifle for the little ones. Well it took a turn and I put the CTR on a diet and placed it in a normal T3x roughtech stock with reg bottom metal and mag. Also pulled off rail. Now it only weighs .74 lbs less than my T3 lite. I like them both.

T3 308 SB Polar 4-16x56
tikka.jpg

CTR 308 on diet, Trijicon Credo Hx 4-16x50
20231102_135046.jpg

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
How do you find the handling/balance? Does it offer you anything over the T3x light?

sdupontjr

WKR
I hardly notice any difference. But I hunt tower stands. So the added weight isn't any real problem because I'm not hiking with it. But it still doesn't feel overly heavy to not carry it around. They both balance just fine. I'm really debating on putting my Polar on the CTR because the shorter barrel sure is handy getting it in and out of the shooting windows. I have just added the Victor cheek riser to both which makes them feel even better.

Coming from a Browning Abolt II medallion 7mag, that I hunted with since about 1995, weight was never a problem form me. They both shoot sub .75 all day and some loads sub .5 moa. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The CTR threaded does offer option of brake or supressor.

I like the d18 contour and the threads but the rest of the stuff and the price increase that come with it I’d prefer not having.

Unckebob

WKR
How do you find the handling/balance? Does it offer you anything over the T3x light?

I got the Roughtech 6.5 PRC and it balances very well even with the 24" barrel and a suppressor. The barrel profile and flutes are nicely done.

The only change I would make is to have a cerakoted version.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with others that getting stainless, cerakote, barrel contour and length and threaded barrel can be worth the upgrade if you happen to find exactly what you're looking for.

Their stocks are not for me. I wish they sold barreled actions with lots of barrel lengths and contours to choose from.