Talk me out of a 6x42 fixed scope.

eamyrick

WKR
Trimming the fat on some of my hunting gear and found a great deal on a fixed 6x42 scope. When I look back on the majority of my hunting a fixed 6 would have been perfect. I leave my scopes on 5 or 6x anyway. I imagine getting a good zero may be harder but what do y’all say about getting a good MPBR and running a 6x.

TxxAgg

WKR
I'm all ears. Meopta has a nice version I have been looking at.

Most my shots on game are around 5 or 6 power. And honestly I find zeroing not too bad with less power. Less shaking and easier to just relax as you don’t see every speck of paint on the bullseye... just the overall center of your square or circle.
In archery shooting at the whole pie plate at 20yards can help cure that target panic that comes from trying to split hairs on a tiny dot. Seems like a similar concept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had fixed 2.5, 4 & 6 X scopes on different rifles over the years.
They have all worked perfectly within their niche... but when you have a blob of fur at 20 yards or can’t find your animal at 400, it makes you reconsider your choice.

3-9 is the most popular for a very good reason.

My favorite hunting scopes are my leupold 2.5-8 and 3.5-10. The 3.5-10 has been my warhorse for 3+ decades with 30K++ rounds under it. I’m kinda past worrying about it’s dependability.

If 6x suits you, then run it. Leupold had their 6x a while back spec-ed with their LR duplex reticle, and I wish I would've bought one. They only come with the regular duplex now as far as I'm aware.