Tell us what you think about E-bikes for hunting??

Rich M

WKR
Questions were weak.

Exampke, i dislike no part of deer hunting more than any other part. They all come in sequence.

Bottom line, nothing wrong with an ebike. Problems fall with folks who want to restrict access. Simply put.

Fatcamp

WKR
As far as power limits are concerned changing out accessories to make high power bikes appear to be lower powered cannot be that hard. I'm sure stickers are available from a variety of locations.

Or do we expect FS employees to become experts on e-bikes. Hell, our local bike paths have limits which are ignored constantly, and we have a very proactive police department.

In the end I don't really think it matters. The same type of people who drive $25,000 utvs around gates will do the same with these things.

As far as power limits are concerned changing out accessories to make high power bikes appear to be lower powered cannot be that hard. I'm sure stickers are available from a variety of locations.

Or do we expect FS employees to become experts on e-bikes. Hell, our local bike paths have limits which are ignored constantly, and we have a very proactive police department.

In the end I don't really think it matters. The same type of people who drive $25,000 utvs around gates will do the same with these things.
Yup. Let’s just be prepared to get good documentation and turn them in. A $500 fine night make them think twice the next time.

CoStick

WKR

The latest attempt doesn’t discuss level of motors, it changes trails from non to motorized access for all, not just e-bikes.

The latest attempt doesn’t discuss level of motors, it changes trails from non to motorized access for all, not just e-bikes.
And per the discussion I had with the local ranger district, nothing will change here. I wouldn’t be surprised if some people get really upset about spending $7-$9K only to find out it doesn’t provide a new advantage. I will also not be surprised if many of them break the rules. The ranger I spoke with said to be sure and get a terrain feature in the picture for proof of location. And if at all possible get pics of license plates on the vehicle they drive.

On a totally unrelated topic. Did you know they sell tiny valve core tools that double as a valve stem cap? They weigh virtually nothing and wouldn’t be noticed in a pocket. Amazon sells them for just a few bucks. I may even mail one to the right person for free. PM if interested.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
Did it.

Fwiw survey team. Don’t really think that was a survey. Very simply slanted and sequential assuming their us interest in e bikes and they represent a solution.

Broader questions, or you need many more questions on hunting in general. First.

Are they interesting, yep. The cost vs value doesn’t come close to working for me. I’d rather an old Honda 70 or nock off. Way more power for far less money with a small trade off in noise.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Until they get some specific, and very appropriate, classifications that separate them from motorcycles ect I don’t see the point of getting one. They 100% should be allowed to be used if horses are IMO!

Titan_Bow

WKR
A buddy I work with one of those Backou Mules. He let me ride it around the parking lot and I must say, I was really impressed with the torque and power it seemed to have.
I use a mountain bike for a few different spots that I hunt. A regular pedal bike is still a substantial input of sweat and excursion, which typically I don’t mind. I have thought about an ebike where I spring bear hunt, where there’s miles of gated logging roads. I’m that scenario, it would feel like cheating, LOL. I also use my pedal bike with a little trailer to get back into some whitetail spots out east, where it’s mainly flat and it’s just quicker to pedal versus walk.

a193a46b37d4f9d39412003950e72878.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Nobody wants to restrict them, plenty of trails for motorized vehicles.

I dont see why do many guys get their panties in a wad over someone riding a silent bike. Or using a wheeled gadget to haul out an elk, or turkey camp. LoL.

I dont have one. Or a horse. I also dont feel the need to fuss. Id like one but only draw tags every 3 years so it would sit for 2. Too pricey to sit and collect dust.

We’ve got anti-ebike guys down here too. It usually comes down to folks thinking its not fair for some dude to ride by them on an ebike while they’re walking.

CoStick

WKR
I dont see why do many guys get their panties in a wad over someone riding a silent bike. Or using a wheeled gadget to haul out an elk, or turkey camp. LoL.

I dont have one. Or a horse. I also dont feel the need to fuss. Id like one but only draw tags every 3 years so it would sit for 2. Too pricey to sit and collect dust.

We’ve got anti-ebike guys down here too. It usually comes down to folks thinking its not fair for some dude to ride by them on an ebike while they’re walking.
Let’s be honest who really wears the panties…..

Rich M

WKR
Let’s be honest who really wears the panties…..
That’s an excellent response!

I wear them synthetic brief things and there is no way i could keep up w you in the mountains. Thats why im not against the bikes, gondolas, or ever anhelicopter to get in there.

If yer ever down here, look me up. We’ll catch some fish. Maybe show you the terrain i hunt in.

CoStick

WKR
That’s an excellent response!

I wear them synthetic brief things and there is no way i could keep up w you in the mountains. Thats why im not against the bikes, gondolas, or ever anhelicopter to get in there.

If yer ever down here, look me up. We’ll catch some fish. Maybe show you the terrain i hunt in.
Of course, if you are out here, happy to extend the same hospitality. I am not concerned about hunters using e/bikes. They would be a small minority. I have seen the impact on trails and areas that did trial runs. They restrictions are there for a reason. You just can’t overuse and abuse areas and expect them to stay the same.

The elk herds already struggle with growing recreational impacts. As an avid mountain biker I spoke out against more trails in the steamboat area because of the declining herd due to recreational usage.

It would just be a really bad idea.

Marble

WKR
I would consider getting one. But it would have a pretty high bar to hit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk