Staff member
Sorry to double up your info, ArmyJoe!

Ray,

Here is a Nikon D3s torture video:

[video=youtube;TBB-CvqjdCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBB-CvqjdCE[/video]

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
What's a good approach to slowly wading your way into this?
Buy just the camera body and then pick up lenses as needed? If so, what is a good first lens?
Or buy one of the available kits and go from there? Using the OM-D E-M5 as example, which kit would you recommend starting with?

Thanks!

High country,

Lenses have longer lives than cameras. Bodies are updating constantly, but the good lenses remain good. Build your kit around the lenses.

I use the Nikon 1 system, but going the Micro 4/3s route like the Olympus is a great idea. The "pros" spend a lot of time on bigger sensors, but those little M4/3s cameras produce some outstanding results! Another great feature of the M4/3s system is an micro 4/3 lens from Panasonic or Olympus will mount right up to a body from either manufacturer, so there are a lot of options.

I would get a fast prime and a body. You can get a lower end body to start with and build your lens collection. Then upgrade your bodies as you learn. The lenses will just keep working with the next body.

You can read about the Micro 4/3 system and see the sensor size differences here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Four_Thirds_system

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What Matt mentioned is good advice, and also a large reason why I ended up with the Olympus over the Sony NEX. I loved the NEX cameras, but in the end, they are behind on lenses.

Another thing to think about; I spoke with MANY professional photographers during the last two years....and I think that was a BIG MISTAKE! All of them have favorites (just like we do with gear), but some fat guy taking photos of fly fisherman from his truck for the cover of Field and Stream, isn't doing what we're doing!

So I learned the hard way that I should have been taking advice from guys that ARE IN THE FIELD, carrying what they have in on their back.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good article Aron...need to someday up my quality of documenting my adventures....good stuff to ponder.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
High country,

Lenses have longer lives than cameras. Bodies are updating constantly, but the good lenses remain good. Build your kit around the lenses.

I use the Nikon 1 system, but going the Micro 4/3s route like the Olympus is a great idea. The "pros" spend a lot of time on bigger sensors, but those little M4/3s cameras produce some outstanding results! Another great feature of the M4/3s system is an micro 4/3 lens from Panasonic or Olympus will mount right up to a body from either manufacturer, so there are a lot of options.

I would get a fast prime and a body. You can get a lower end body to start with and build your lens collection. Then upgrade your bodies as you learn. The lenses will just keep working with the next body.

You can read about the Micro 4/3 system and see the sensor size differences here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Four_Thirds_system
Appreciate the info. Suggestions on starter bodies?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
For M4/3s, you can get a Panasonic GF3 body for a measly $199 (or less). It is older tech, but still a solid camera, and gets you up and running. I think they were like $600-$700 when they first came out.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to get a good spotter first and run with my TG-2 until I recover from that. But, its helpful to know what cameras to keep an eye out for. ;)

marinesar

FNG
I agree, great article and something I took up last year with an Olympus OMD EM5, 12mm and 45 mm primes, and Swarovski spotter adapter kit....I am having a lot of fun learning how to use the camera and almost hate to say I am enjoying taking pictures of others hunting, the experience, and the landscape than hunting for myself. I look at it like this...I can go take pictures of any animal at any time and not be limited to any draw unit that takes forever to be able to hunt. You can also practice similar hunting skills getting in close to animals to get their picture....

shanevg

WKR
Great article! Agree with most everything you said. I would stress even further the importance of shooting as many pictures as possible in RAW mode if your camera allows. If you are ever going to edit any photos the. RAW allows so much more editing capabilities than JPEG. Even if you don't plan on doing any editing now, shoot in a mode that saves both a JPEG and RAW and keep them for later!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a canon DSLR with a couple of lenses. I still need to really work with it to get the best out of it, but so far just messing around has provided some decent pictures.
011_zps646c0eaa.jpg
I know this spot...

trdhunter

WKR
Couple quick questions. Is a mirror-less or micro 4/3 camera advantages for field use over a dslr? My wife and I just purchased a dslr for christmas and I plan on using it pretty much anytime but when hunting due to its larger size and weight, but should not be a problem just scouting. Would I be better of returning it and going with one of these smaller cameras and some lenses for them? Im open to any and all advice as I have always just believed slr cameras were the ticked for good pictures. I have experience in the past with film slr equipment.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Couple quick questions. Is a mirror-less or micro 4/3 camera advantages for field use over a dslr? My wife and I just purchased a dslr for christmas and I plan on using it pretty much anytime but when hunting due to its larger size and weight, but should not be a problem just scouting. Would I be better of returning it and going with one of these smaller cameras and some lenses for them? Im open to any and all advice as I have always just believed slr cameras were the ticked for good pictures. I have experience in the past with film slr equipment.

A quality DSLR is capable of better image quality than the micro 4/3, mirrorless cameras due to the larger image sensors and loads of high end lens options. That said, it would take a very discerning eye to see the difference unless you're talking about large format prints. The compact cameras are getting better all the time. I use a Nikon D7100 extensively for hunting. However, for convenience, packability, weight, cost, weather-proofness, etc... the Micro 4/3, mirrorless and even point and shoot cameras have some utilitarian advantages for the back-country hunter. Just depends on what you want/need.

In either case, much of the same advice applies. Invest in good lenses and swap the camera out as newer better technology becomes available down the road. You're not going to go wrong from an image quality standpoint with a good DSLR from Nikon or Canon. For 95% of people, I would personally recommend using a versatile zoom lens like a good 18-200mm lens. It will cover the bases for virtually any situation short of sports photography. You'll make some compromises in quality at the extremes and in certain situations over a prime lens, but from a convenience standpoint I'd start there and then add some specific prime lenses to your collection as you hone your skills and identify certain looks and situations you want to capture from a creative standpoint. Once you master ISO, aperture, and shutter speed, I think you'll be a lot better informed in making intelligent lens selections. Just my opinion...

Coop

trkyslr

WKR
I as wekk need to learn how to use my camera better as well..
Aron, curious what type setting (exposure, trigger speed, etc???) you use to get the low light and night pics that gatger what light is there and really brings it out ex. Light from inside the tent or light on trees from the campfire etc... ? Thanks and great article!

trkyslr

WKR
By the way i have a cannon slr d7 so its deff not a cheapo camera and has great capabilities..

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With the 7D, it will have a setting (If I remember correctly) that has a night setting. This will just about do everything for you.

To answer your questions directly, it's a matter of learning your adjustments dials. You'll need a tripod for sure to allow for low ISO setting and really long exposure.

It usually takes me 5-10 tries before I get it right (meaning 5-10 setting adjustments), so keep that in mind.

I learned most of this through trial and error, but also reading everything I could about my camera and the adjustments it has. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was a pervert, as I took photos every night on my porch for a couple weeks with different scenarios.

Having the right lens for this also makes a big difference . This is one of the reasons I went with multiple PRIME/FIXED lenses, as each is better at one thing or another. If I only planned on taking photos for fun, I would have went a different route, but at this time, I've had several people try and purchase my photos for their magazines. This wasn't my initial plan, but it shows that even a Oregon boy that can hardly read can accomplish anything with enough hard work:)

Your camera is one of the best, so it won't take much for you to get the hang of it. The larger sensor (among other things) will make your life easy with the 7D when compared to a mirrorless camera.

Here's an article that I learned a lot from on night shots.

http://photography.about.com/od/nightphotography/ss/NightPhotog_4.htm

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There are so many great choices out there it is tough to weed through all the options.

Some more info:

Mirrorless cameras are available in a number of sensor sizes.

From smallest to largest:

Pentax Q 1/1.7" sensor: This sensor is the same size as many compact cameras. Its advantage is in interchangeable lenses, but you still have compact camera image quality.

Nikon 1 : 1" sensor: This sensor is the same size as the Sony RX100. It is significantly larger than compact camera sensors, but smaller than most other interchangeable lens cameras.

Micro 4/3 sensor: This sensor is a little larger than the Nikon 1, but still smaller than traditional DLSR sensors.

APS-C sensor: This sensor is the traditional entry level to mid level DSLR sensor size and is larger than micro 4/3. Many mirrorless cameras use this sensor size including Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Fujifilm X, and Canon EOS M.

Full frame (35mm): This sensor size is used mostly in pro level DSLRs. Only one mirrorless system uses this sensor so far, the Sony A7 and A7r. Not many lenses are available for this system, as it is very new.

As you go up and down sensor size, lens size follows, so full frame lenses are huge, APS-C lenses a little smaller, m4/3s a little smaller yet, etc. Lens size is one of the biggest advantages of Nikon 1 and m4/3s for backcountry use, IMO.

The previously mentioned Canon 7D and Nikon D7100 are higher-end APS-C DSLRs. APS-C mirrorless cameras should be capable of similar image quality, but lens quality has a lot to do with it, and Canon and Nikon have a huge library of quality lenses available.

There is one major advantage to mirrorless systems over DSLRs however, and that is autofocus during video. DSLR's traditionally struggle with this, although Canon's new 70D made huge steps forward with on-chip PDAF. I expect future DLSRs to improve in this area also.

upaqedun.jpg

rhendrix

WKR
Does anyone have any running reviews for the Sony DSC VX100 or VX10? I'm tempted to buy one because of the compact design and multi-use function but I've heard of lots of software issues and the battery life seems to be wanning.