Thanking after killing

Sacmaster

FNG
I say a quick prayer of thanks for the enjoyable time spent in nature and the meat to feed my family, but that's to God, not the animal. I don't feel some kinship with the deer I just shot - it's just an animal. At the same time, I believe in being a good steward, and I don't care about trophy hunting.

I thank all of my sponsors.

"I'd like to thank everyone for helping me make my Vortex Strike Eagle, Warne Mounts, McMillan Stocks, Timney Triggers, Lapua Brass, Hodgdon Powders, Swift Bullets, 511 Tactical, Manbunsandmanes.com, Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor the baddest 1800 yard rifle on the planet."

No ritual - just take a moment to reflect and be thankful for the animal that gave its life to feed my family and me

CoHiCntry

WKR
Thankful? No not really... as soon as I see the animal hit the ground I throw my hands in the air & yell SMOKED EM!!! Then me & all my buddies laugh & slap each other on the back and say things like, look at the size of that Joker and BBD!

ktowncamo

WKR
Not that the animal knows it or cares, but I appreciate and thank the animal for the meat it will provide me and my family. I normally thank God and ask for his protection and guidance as I care for and remove the animal from the mountains to my home.

General respect for the animal, process and experience leaves me with a sense of overall gratitude and as I believe in God it feels natural for me to take a moment to reflect on that.

But everyone is different as noted in this thread - and at the end of the day it's killing animals to eat them and to have enjoyed hunting them. Pretty simple actually.

I was wondering how many of hunters thank to something? after successfully placing a shot. Some of my friends thank to God, one prays to Diana and I know few Europeans who place branches to mouths of killed animals and onto a place where shot was placed.

Do you have any thanking rituals?
Well, thanking God after a kill has no meaning to me personally, It just like a lion that preyed on an antelope and thanking God after. What about the antelope is it not worthy of life?

Hunting is fun and a beautiful game, but nothing to thank God about.

ETtikka

WKR
All good and perfect gifts are from above as previously stated ,,James 1:17 I think , I try to be thankful for the time to hunt, and all of the God created resources. Trying to teach my young son the concept of ethical hunting and respecting the animal, the whole experience not just the killing. In the end someone either believes in God or not. If not then it’s a whole other discussion, which usually starts with,,explain to me why murder is wrong without referencing God or the Bible???

bobr1

WKR
Yeah, I guess it's a ritual and whether or not it means anything, any animal I kill I always give them a pat and thank them for the meat they are providing to me. Maybe it helps me feel better for killing an animal, as for me the least favorite part of the hunt is killing the animal. I enjoy the hunt and enjoy the harvest and all the meat I get but I have never enjoyed the actual killing part of the animal.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’d think that for the vast majority of modern hunters living in 1st world nations, being thankful for being in a position to live a life where you get to enjoy quite a bit of leisure time enjoying a hobby such as hunting would be the first priority. Thanking God directly for an animal you killed while enjoying a time consuming and expensive hobby seems a little ill conceived. For most, It’s not as if that deer in the freezer is going to keep your family from starving this winter. In fact, on that front, if you’re family is starving (and you’re not homesteading in AL), your time is almost certainly better spent working to make money to buy food for them. And, for that matter, you could probably sell your weapon, your freezer and your toys for a better ROI on feeding your family than hunting will provide. Do you get on your knees before you eat chicken wings? What about squirrel hunting? Coyotes? Insects? Theres a whole logical sequence that unfolds here that exposes some real philosophical problems in how “giving thanks” is selectively applied to the big game realm (ie the most expensive and time consuming sector) of modern hunting, but that’s just me.

I’m surprised there are still homesteads available in Alabama ;)

DavePwns

WKR
Yup, I feel incredibly thankful and take a minute to thank God for the animals life and for the ability to explore his creation. For me, it takes quite a bit more faith to belive everything in nature is just a random chance than it is to believe in a creator.