The 1 Thing You Learned- MULE DEER

bowuntr

WKR
I'm saying this other person is wanting to revisit old patterns of behaviour that are not helpful to anybody and should be left in the past.
I give you a compliment and you call me names and derail the thread? You don't want me to inform these guys who you are and what you're all about, do you? 99% of theses guys/gals on this forum are solid... they can read right through your BS... Ed F

TheGDog

WKR
You... were not paying me a compliment, but they would not know that now, would they. You were being snyde and sarcastic. And trying to stir up the coals of a long since dead fire, and start something up again.

Why? I have no clue, as I have made very well sure to NOT interact with you, in fact, you'll note that I STILL have not had your name in my mouth, as I've respectfully requested you do with mine on another site.

It is a shame, because obviously you have a wealth of experience, and under difference circumstances I'd have considered myself lucky to have you as a resource and mentor. I truly mean that. So please, this is me asking you, yet again, to simply keep my name out of your mouth, and you have my word your name will not ever see its way into mine.

I hope your Valentine's Day gives you something to smile about. Take Care.

rrMT

FNG
You... were not paying me a compliment, but they would not know that now, would they. You were being snyde and sarcastic. And trying to stir up the coals of a long since dead fire, and start something up again.

Why? I have no clue, as I have made very well sure to NOT interact with you, in fact, you'll note that I STILL have not had your name in my mouth, as I've respectfully requested you do with mine on another site.

It is a shame, because obviously you have a wealth of experience, and under difference circumstances I'd have considered myself lucky to have you as a resource and mentor. I truly mean that. So please, this is me asking you, yet again, to simply keep my name out of your mouth, and you have my word your name will not ever see its way into mine.

I hope your Valentine's Day gives you something to smile about. Take Care.
Im new to rokslide can someone tell me how to make it so I don't get notifications on this topic anymore I would rather not waste my time on comments that are completely useless

bowuntr

WKR
Im new to rokslide can someone tell me how to make it so I don't get notifications on this topic anymore I would rather not waste my time on comments that are completely useless
I can't find the button to do that. I just try my hardest to ignore his posts... sometimes I just can't.

I apologize to Oregon Hunter for temporarily derailing this thread. I'll leave... carry on. Ed F

BCDeer

FNG
When I stop for a quick eat and drink break I have learned that an unseen deer is getting pretty nervous if close by and when you get back up to move on with your hunt they lose it and take off so be ready to shoot!

Big bucks will always bed in a position where the wind is blowing up there backside and they are covering the other direction with their eyes. I prefer to move in crosswind on stalks.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We’ve had an outstanding response from all of you on these “1 Thing You Learned” series. I just created a new forum thread about antelope. Head over to this link if you’d like to share one thing you learned about antelope, or want to shorten your learning curve for your next pronghorn hunt!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We’ve had an outstanding response from all of you on these “1 Thing You Learned” series. I just created a new forum thread about cooking wild game. Head over to this link if you’d like to share one thing you learned about cooking wild game, trade food horror stories, or want to learn a secret for making the most out of your hard work in the field!

ianpadron

WKR
I'd say the number 1 thing I've learned hunting up high is that you can never be too familiar with your area.

After a few trips, you are "surprised" less and less about where you turn deer up. If you spend enough time mapping/exploring/glassing a spot, the efficiency you can hunt it goes up exponentially. Really is something special to start picking up on patterns after a few years.

Deer are creatures of habit, and learn from their mommas and older bucks. Same travel lanes, same feeding trajectories across a slope, same corridors through the timber....almost seems like they are train tracks after a handful of hunts.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd say the number 1 thing I've learned hunting up high is that you can never be too familiar with your area.

After a few trips, you are "surprised" less and less about where you turn deer up. If you spend enough time mapping/exploring/glassing a spot, the efficiency you can hunt it goes up exponentially. Really is something special to start picking up on patterns after a few years.

Deer are creatures of habit, and learn from their mommas and older bucks. Same travel lanes, same feeding trajectories across a slope, same corridors through the timber....almost seems like they are train tracks after a handful of hunts.
The Eastmans are big proponents of hunting the same areas year after year so that you learn these nuances

Lytro

WKR
One of the mistakes I've seen a lot, and have also been guilty of, is not paying close enough attention to the exact location of where an animal is when you pull the trigger. Whether looking for blood, or even after watching the animal drop DRT, it can be a challenge finding that exact spot while walking to it. I've watched people drop deer and think they got up and ran off when they weren't looking because they were so far off during their initial recovery.

Just Cause you see a ton of hunters in area if you can get somewhere elevated and in a position stay still and wait more times then not you might have a big boy just run into your lap

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One of the mistakes I've seen a lot, and have also been guilty of, is not paying close enough attention to the exact location of where an animal is when you pull the trigger. Whether looking for blood, or even after watching the animal drop DRT, it can be a challenge finding that exact spot while walking to it. I've watched people drop deer and think they got up and ran off when they weren't looking because they were so far off during their initial recovery.
Your point is all too true. Personally I have witnessed a friend shoot a bull elk with a 300 Weatherby. It hit the ground instantly. 10 minutes later it got up and walked off. He repeated this with another shot and the same thing happened, and once again it got up and walked off. If we hadn't been there to watch his bl while he went over to it, it would have got away.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just Cause you see a ton of hunters in area if you can get somewhere elevated and in a position stay still and wait more times then not you might have a big boy just run into your lap
One of my teachers in college was this old fat guy named Harry. Every year he just parked his pickup in a strategic spot. More often the not other guys have put out to him in he would go home with one. I'm not suggesting we all become road hunters, just that sometimes we don't have to be the guys hiking our butts off and cursing all the competition.