The Best Gaiters

Kotaman

WKR
I've owned/used the following on mountain hunts:

OR, Kenetrek, KUIU, and Sitka as well as a bunch of older, cheaper versions. The OR's are bomb proof, but heaviest and bulkiest of the bunch. Kenetrek's don't last me a season and they are trashed. KUIU makes a great gaiter with nice stretch, lightweight and get the job done. I've used a pair since they came out and they are still kicking. My favorite of the bunch are the Sitka Gaiters. Though they are the most expensive, I love the full length zipper and bomb proof construction. So of the most common one's listed my favorites are the Sitka Gaiters followed by KUIU.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
OR Crocs are killer. Over 4 yrs on mine, rain, snow, mud, this is what I will be getting for replacement

4ester

WKR
How are the breathabilty of the Gaiters above listed such as the OR, Kuiu, Kenetrek, ?

I have found that the cheap gaiters trap all the moisture from the top of your boots and the bottom of your legs get wet from the inside? I'm running Cabelas brand w/Gore Tex Right now and they aren't exactly light.

I run my KIUI's all summer while wearing shorts. They work great for that especially when bushwhacking thru blueberry fields. Always seemed a lot cooler than wearing long pants. Also keeps stuff out of my boots. Not real sure how I went so many years without wearing gaiters.

They're best in snow but the summer hikes are a close 2nd.

I own the Kenetrek gators and my top buckle almost always comes undone. Thinking about getting the Kuiu Yukon Gators. My brother has them and used them the entire month of January on an archery deer hunt. He loves them!

WRM

WKR
I can't positively recommend these, as I don't personally have a need for gaiters at this time. But, I did compare a lot of gaiters when I thought I would buy some and these were in the running:

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/934-Swazi-Ali-Gaiters/

Ray Mears is well known in the UK. They carry some pretty premium stuff. I have bought Buffalo, Paramo and Possum down products from them. All work exactly as advertised and I could not be more pleased. I would expect the gaiters to be similar.

A couple tips. Prices are in GB pounds. And, VAT (value added tax) is included in listed price. When you choose shipment to US, the VAT (and it is significant) will get backed out. Then google a pounds to dollar converter so you can get the US dollar price. You can use Paypal to pay. Wish I could tell you for sure they are a great product, but they are an option. If you take a chance on them, pm and let me know what you think.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Another name in the gaiters is RAB. I sold my Kuiu not long ago and picked up two different RAB gaiters that I am testing. One pair is very similar to the Kuiu, the other is not as stretchy and similar to the OR.
I want to test them more before I say much more.
They are built similar to most all other RAB gear I have, burly!

WRM

WKR
And a +1 for RAB. I did just buy a pair of their really lightweight gaiters to use with trail runners. Very nice construction. All the RAB stuff I have ever used or seen was top quality (I have on a merino T I bought a couple years ago and it is still going strong). Please post your feedback on these Tony. There are so many good products out there that never make it to hunters even though they are extremely popular with folks who do some pretty extreme stuff.

gelton

WKR
I have had some issues with OR Expedition Crocs, the buckle straps started to fray and break after one trip, I have a big cut in one after the second trip. A hunting partner of mine had the Kuiu, they looked like they would at least breath better and be more quiet so I just ordered a pair of Kuiu yesterday.

I know OR has a great warranty but for you guys that have used it, do you think they would replace them (it looks like I took a knife to the one with a big cut in it, not sure how it happened but I think they might be suspect.)

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have had some issues with OR Expedition Crocs, the buckle straps started to fray and break after one trip, I have a big cut in one after the second trip. A hunting partner of mine had the Kuiu, they looked like they would at least breath better and be more quiet so I just ordered a pair of Kuiu yesterday.

I know OR has a great warranty but for you guys that have used it, do you think they would replace them (it looks like I took a knife to the one with a big cut in it, not sure how it happened but I think they might be suspect.)

They will replace them. I've had mine for a couple years, and they are still working well.

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason I can't find gaiters on kuiu's website.. Did they stop making them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
We used OR expedition crocodile gaiters in the Marine Corps while conducting mountain warfare training. They are overbuilt to take constant abuse and work great. I prefer the coyote color of the expedition model for hunting compared to the standard model that only comes in black and red. OR doesn't list the coyote colored expeditions on their website but amazon has them in certain sizes. Ebay is another place they can be had.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resea...1907&sr=8-1&keywords=coyote+crocodile+gaiters

Last edited: