The Best Gaiters

bcimport

WKR
Another vote for OR expedition crocs. I take the factory insole strap off immediately and tie in a cord. No buckle to mangle, easy to replace and no metal scraping.

We used OR expedition crocodile gaiters in the Marine Corps while conducting mountain warfare training. They are overbuilt to take constant abuse and work great. I prefer the coyote color of the expedition model for hunting compared to the standard model that only comes in black and red. OR doesn't list the coyote colored expeditions on their website but amazon has them in certain sizes. Ebay is another place they can be had.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resea...1907&sr=8-1&keywords=coyote+crocodile+gaiters

multicam is an option as well.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Black Diamond Talus gaiters for early season/warmer weather hunts. They are my favorite.

C4E for later in the year. Can't beat them for the price IMO

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I did not know that. This means the Marine Corps and probably the Army both issue their grunts OR crocodile gaiters when necessary. Military doesn't mess around with gimicky gear in my experience.

yes sir... bought a few pairs in multicam at the OR store in seattle. can be found at other online retailers as well if looking.

Are the C4E gaiters actually "waterproof"? It just says DWR treated. I need a pair for me and the wife. Trying to save some money as I need (want :rolleyes:) a bunch of other stuff too.

warrior80

WKR
Are the C4E gaiters actually "waterproof"? It just says DWR treated. I need a pair for me and the wife. Trying to save some money as I need (want :rolleyes:) a bunch of other stuff too.
Yes they are waterproof. Although my buddy wore them last fall/winter and I wore the Kuiu ones. When we would take them off after being in the snow, etc., he always had a little moisture that was on the inside whereas I was dry. Not sure if that is due to breathability or actually letting moisture in. It was never as if he was soaked underneath, but not completely dry. I think they are a great value for the price since you can pick them up for so cheap on Camofire. I have some as backups. I would also say that I would prefer to wear them over my OR Crocs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I've got the OR Expedition Crocs in Multicam and they are pretty loud. I contacted the good folks at OR to ask if they could suggest some sort of breathable coating that would quiet them down. They couldn't recommend anything to me for the 1000D Cordura. Any ideas out there on how to quiet these gaiters down?

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
Yes they are waterproof. Although my buddy wore them last fall/winter and I wore the Kuiu ones. When we would take them off after being in the snow, etc., he always had a little moisture that was on the inside whereas I was dry. Not sure if that is due to breathability or actually letting moisture in. It was never as if he was soaked underneath, but not completely dry. I think they are a great value for the price since you can pick them up for so cheap on Camofire. I have some as backups. I would also say that I would prefer to wear them over my OR Crocs.

Thanks for this post. I ordered a set of the KUIU and C4E gaiters and intended to send one back, but I can't decide which ones I like better and won't have a chance to use them until well after the return date. I'm having a hard time deciding just because the C4E are so much cheaper. Maybe I'll just keep both as you suggested.

It's interesting that the C4E ones seemed to leak a little. I would have thought they would be more waterproof since they have the zipper and velcro, vs velcro only in the KUIU.

warrior80

WKR
Thanks for this post. I ordered a set of the KUIU and C4E gaiters and intended to send one back, but I can't decide which ones I like better and won't have a chance to use them until well after the return date. I'm having a hard time deciding just because the C4E are so much cheaper. Maybe I'll just keep both as you suggested.

It's interesting that the C4E ones seemed to leak a little. I would have thought they would be more waterproof since they have the zipper and velcro, vs velcro only in the KUIU.
Yeah we weren't sure if it was from leakage or condensation building up on the inside. Either way it was not a lot of moisture. IMO it's hard to beat the Kuiu gaiters in fit, form, and function. But the C4E are nice at a much lower price.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thumbs up on kuiu gaiters, stay up, stay buckled and keep water snow out...going to do a long term review shortly on them...they will wear out eventually if you beat them to sh😎T but have already bought another pair

LaHunter

WKR
I use the Kennetrek camo gaitors and they have worked well for me. They keep me dry, they are quiet, the buckles have never come undone, and the strap under the boot is very durable.
I have hunted with a guy wearing the OR Crocs, and those things are LOUD. They appear tough and very durable, but it seems that these are more for hikers than for hunters. I could hear them from 10 yards away easily. I am surprised that the OR Crocs get such high praise from hunters??