The perfect elk rifle...

ianpadron

WKR
Finally moved to MT, so I see a lot more elk hunting in my future.

Currently, the rifle with the most sauce in my safe is my trusty CA Ridgeline in 270 WSM.

Now I'm fully aware of the fact that a 140 grain Berger at 3400 is bad news for any bull that ever lived...but I like rifles and there's something to be said about having the perfect tool for the job. Have read enough posts from guys that see a lot of elk die, to know bigger is better.

So with that, if a fella was looking for a sub 7 pound elk hammer for less than $2500, what are some recommendations on rifle/cartridge combo?

I handled a CA Mesa Ti in 300 PRC that stole my heart...but I want some more bad influences before pulling the trigger.

Finally moved to MT, so I see a lot more elk hunting in my future.

Currently, the rifle with the most sauce in my safe is my trusty CA Ridgeline in 270 WSM.

Now I'm fully aware of the fact that a 140 grain Berger at 3400 is bad news for any bull that ever lived...but I like rifles and there's something to be said about having the perfect tool for the job. Have read enough posts from guys that see a lot of elk die, to know bigger is better.

So with that, if a fella was looking for a sub 7 pound elk hammer for less than $2500, what are some recommendations on rifle/cartridge combo?

I handled a CA Mesa Ti in 300 PRC that stole my heart...but I want some more bad influences before pulling the trigger.
I love CA - I have two of them. I would go with a Ridgeline Ti in 28 Nosler.

elkguide

WKR
The last two years when I headed West hunting elk, I've taken a Cooper in .300 Win Mag and a Christensen Arms Custom in .300 RUM as back-up. I'd go with a CA Ridgeline in .300 Win Mag.

I have "a few" rifles and "a few" in .30 caliber but somehow my first pick is always a .300 Win Mag.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Just for my clarification are you looking at a $2500 rifle only budget or including optics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll never find an elk that your 270 wsm can’t kill. That being said I will always fully support someone wanting to buy a new rifle. I’d look at the browning xbolt hells canyon speed in 300 win mag.My buddy has a Christensen in 28 nosler that is pretty dang slick as well.

What's the maximum distance you see yourself shooting? 270 WSM is a grand round, no flies on it. Load it, shoot it, and keep using it. But if you must do a new rifle... 35 Whelen.

I have a 35 Whelan AI, shooting a 200 gr TTSX handload at an honest 3000 FPS with Power Pro Varmint. No elk or otherwise that will not tackle inside of 400 yards. Based on traditional pressure indicators and case head expansion measured at .0002", there is still headroom.

In the standard Whelen, with new powders the 225 Accubond, Partiton or Sierra BT can easily reach 2800-2900 fps, that's big medicine as well. With published data. No pie in the sky. The 200 TTSX at 3000 fps should be close to attainable depending on bbl length based on my work and another shooters work extrapolating based on our 35 AI's.

Check out the new Speer and Sierra data, some real game changing loads and powders for the Whelen.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Read what Bigngreen over on longrangehunting has to say about the 270wsm and his experience killing elk on the pivots.

I’ll summarize his findings. It’s his favorite cartridge for efficiently killing elk when shooting a 165 Matrix or 170 Berger.

Skip the new rifle. Load the correct bullets. Focus on leaning how to elk hunt.

Northpark

WKR
.300 win mag. I suppose a .300 prc would be ok but I’m personally sweet on the win mag. Rifles? Lots of options. I’ll assume $2500 would include optic so grab a x bolt canyon speed or long range if you want a bit more heft. Top it with Talley rings and a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 and boom go kill elk. Could also go with a ridgeline if budget allows.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Read what Bigngreen over on longrangehunting has to say about the 270wsm and his experience killing elk on the pivots.

I’ll summarize his findings. It’s his favorite cartridge for efficiently killing elk when shooting a 165 Matrix or 170 Berger.

Skip the new rifle. Load the correct bullets. Focus on leaning how to elk hunt.
Unfortunately I don't think anything above 150 grains can be stabilized with the factory twist on my WSM.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Man it's tough to talk myself out of another CA, bunch of recommendations supporting that

Zappaman

WKR
My experience here:
270 to 400 yards (Weaver), 7mmRM to 600 (Nikon Monarch), multi$K gun with multi$K scope further out than that.

If I had $2500 to spend on elk, I'd get $2k in boots and socks, and spend the rest on the rifle. That said, there's no shortage of options that are sub-7 and can shoot. I think you will be hard pressed to find something in that sweet spot much bigger than 30 caliber though... as much as I know some of those thumpers really do a superior job of killing elk (all other shot placement things being equal).

Zappaman

WKR
If I had $2500 to spend on elk, I'd get $2k in boots and socks, and spend the rest on the rifle. That said, there's no shortage of options that are sub-7 and can shoot. I think you will be hard pressed to find something in that sweet spot much bigger than 30 caliber though... as much as I know some of those thumpers really do a superior job of killing elk (all other shot placement things being equal).
I kinda agree...

I got a Vanguard "Weatherguard" 7mmRM ($700) last year (replacing my 30 year old 700) and really like it all around. At about 7 1/2 lbs ("lightly" scoped with a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8 x 36, about 8 1/2) it's just right for a mountain rifle. Even the bold face is cerikoted!