The perfect elk rifle...

Seeknelk

WKR
Well your 270wsm is soooooo similar to a 7mm and going for a ELK rifle. I'd go 338 ultra myself. But not in a 7 pound or under rifle.
So that being said , I'd end up with a 300 wsm +P chamber from defensive edge, and I'd plan to shoot 215 or 200.20x Bergers, in a Tikka, maybe with a shorter 22" carbon barrel in AG composites stock of choice. And a suppressor.
Will do good things. But I'd secure ADG brass for it first.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don’t even own one and I’d suggest the Ridgeline 300 win mag loaded with a 215 Berger hybrid.

Hell yes to this. I’ve been using 180g GMXs but just got some 215’s from unknown to try out. Pretty tight but they fit in the mag box.

Mine’s been so satisfyingly accurate. The new FFT version is quite interesting…..a bit short but ready for a suppressor.

I reached out to their custom service asking about a few thing and was really impressed with them.

Last edited:

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I love CA - I have two of them. I would go with a Ridgeline Ti in 28 Nosler.
I would factor in that 28
I love CA - I have two of them. I would go with a Ridgeline Ti in 28 Nosler.
I'd suggest factoring in that cartridges like the 28 nosler and more specifically the 28 nosler itself almost don't exist anymore. I've been scouring the net and every single ammunition shop in a 150 mile radius for 28 nosler ammunition and quality 7mm bullets for handload and can find neither.

I don't handload and likely never will, not enough bandwidth most of the time. 600 yards is my current outer limit under ideal conditions.
I really think you are correct in going CA ridge line in 300 PRC.

You already like the rifle and will shoot both better keeping them similar.

All the other suggestions below 30 cal don’t give you any real advantage over the 270 you already have.

The step up to a .338” class would really give you a decided advantage on the Long Range (1000yd +) but cost, weight, lack of hand loading etc will not make that worth it at this time.

LightFoot

WKR
If you like your Ridgeline why not get another. 300 WSM or a more proper 300 Win Mag.
I'm not a fan of CA, but since you like yours, I agree with Steve O, get a "matching" 300 WSM, 300 WIN, or 300 PRC.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
My primary rifle is my 300 Weatherby that is a Winchester M70. It’s more than enough power for me with a 180 Partition traveling at 3240. However, you say you don’t reload. Based on that, I’d strongly encourage you to look for ammo first, then pick a caliber.

Many people suggest .30 caliber because it can shoot a heavier bullet faster or as fast. I personally just bought a 300 WSM as my lighter kicking gun. No, I didn’t really need it as my 300 Weatherby is very accurate. I found that 300 WSM in Norma Bondstrike available. I will start with that load and then reload if necessary. Frankly, there were few ammo choices available with appropriate bullets for Elk.

I’ve spent a lot of time looking for ammo in a few Montana cities just because I happened to be in those cities. 300 Win Mag is always available in many varieties. That would give you the option to find a good 180-190 bullet that shoots well from your rifle. So, my thought is 300 Win Mag. The bonus of that choice is that most manufacturers make a 300 Win Mag.

I agree that .270 WSM is enough, but if you want more, step up to a .30 magnum.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
i have no personal experience hunting elk but a close friend goes regularly to hunt them on a indian res with a guide and they say most that come with a 300 win mag or above make a bad shot and they have to track them for a second shot and their preference is a 22 mag lung shot at 200yrds and they just keep grazing till they drop. way i understand it is game laws dont apply on indian reservations. my brother has taken two with a 30-06 here in ky and it has done well, but we dont generally get the long shots like out west.
well ive seen it all now.that is the most assanine post i have ever read.wow.

Keep the .270 and buy new glass or something else. It’s more than capable.
Great advice right there. Something I wish I had done rather than buy / build more rifles. It was fun doing it, but truth be told my 30-06 I started out with years ago needed a glass upgrade, Instead, I bought a new rifle thinking it would be better, but I really wish I would have put that money towards more trips. Lots of rifles later still feel the same way.

Viper*6

FNG
I think you have the "right stuff" with the 270WSM. Great Cartridge. I do think the 300 Win Mag with a 180 gr bullet is the ultimate cartridge for elk. Although, if you are wanting something under 7 lbs. you're going to pay a price for recoil.

This is such a subjective call, especially since we don't know the hunter, his expected hunting methods, etc, etc.. I feel like I have as close as I'll get to "my" perfect elk rifle.. It is a Tikka T3x Veil (Slightly heavier barrel that the light or superlight) with Leupold Vx6-CD i(CDS) n 3x18x50 with firedot.. The rifle is chambered in 300wm.. I handload using the Barnes 168gr TTSX.. This rifle will shoot .5moa or better all day long in this combo.. I have total confidence when I carry this rifle at any reasonable distance (as determined by weather conditions, etc, etc).. Too many great combos out there to say which is ultimately "the best".. The best is always the one you have in your hands, that you've practiced with and have confidence in when the shot opportunity presents itself.. You'll know it when you have it.. The rifle you have will certainly do the job, but any of the quality rifles mentioned will work as long as it "works" for you.. I've owned many "elk" rifles and thought they were the best until I carried them day after day in crazy weather at high altitude only to find that my definition of "best" changed significantly over time.. Everything about elk hunting envolves a compromise of some sort.. Do I carry and extra pair of socks or 2 more ounes of water.. Some of the atributes that look good on paper or in an ad don't do anything for you when the rubber meets the road... Youi're asking the right questions, but should only use the answers to help you get to the righjt ballpark.. All the best and good luck..

Which one of my wife's friends is this?!
LOL
I just know way too many guys who have safes full of barely used guns but only get to use them 1 or 2 trips a year instead of all damn season because they have an angry wife at home.