The social dilemma

AndyB

WKR
The speed of the advancement of ‘Tech’ was inconceivable only a few years ago...... worth a listen.

We are at a watershed comparable to that of the end of the paleolithic.

The only thing that’s been lost is curated truth. Like the printing press liberalized the distribution of knowledge the internet is democratizing knowledge. The only real change is that there are few to no gatekeepers on social media so the manipulation of truth is now democratized. I have great faith I humans to navigate this new information jungle.

You know, you have some good words here that point to a direction towards factions. It worries me that people will be lead astray from the common truth, learn to ignore facts, and then run rampant. My concern is that these social media platforms can be used to create factions that can destroy governments. The founding fathers of our Constitution were very concerned about factions, and rightfully so.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My concern is that these social media platforms can be used to create factions that can destroy governments.
Destroying or replacing the government isn't the issue........the foundation is what's important. And that's the problem we face these days.........there are many that want to destroy the foundation, and we all know that without that foundation we will crumble as a nation......they know that, they know what they're doing. Just look at the push for removing and rewriting history the way they want it to read. That's a huge problem. When truth and facts are changed on a monumental level like we're seeing.......it's already too late. They run the education system of America's youth and we're seeing the effects of that.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Add all the stuff facebook and twitter are censoring and BINGO!

Can't get any truth these days - just whatever they want to try and manipulate you with.

Beendare

WKR
This Netflix documentary is worth watching. Holy cow...
A must see.

The scale of the manipulation is truly shocking. Then to hear those High tech execs severely limiting their own children's access to social media is extremely telling.

I've sat in on one of these classes at Stanford when my daughter was there a few years ago..........it was an eye opener.

jeff68

FNG
I've watched it but more than anything experienced it . I've taught for 39 years, the problems brought up in Social Dilemma make it impossible for me to be productive as a teacher. False narratives created and then reposted till they become facts have made it no longer enjoyable or worthwhile. I had a kid tell me the other day that the numbers of Covid deaths are all fakes by the democrats and then have 4 or 5 links where he's been reading it. I'll retire at the end of the year and start guiding hunters on a large ranch I'm renting. I'll actually make more money retired so that's not a big deal the last few years I was teaching for fun not money. The issue that I see is that truth in America is quickly becoming a thing of the past. You're correct the Social Dilemma creates a scary looking future for truth in this country.

I feel like a young 62 and I'll be taking 4 or so guys a year in central Nebraska 50% whitetails 50% mulies on cheaper trespass type hunts just to pay for most of the cost of ranch hunting rental. I've hunted the same ranch for 39 years and am going to rent it to avoid a Wyoming outfitter from renting it and locking me out.
You realize the weekly COVID death rate was 470 the week ending 10/31. It peaked 16k back in April. 99+ recovery rate and the increase in c is due to increased testing. This is a globalist coup of our country.

Diesel

WKR
Just try and find truth. Every source is slanted, corrupted, manipulated, distorted, altered and biased. If you don't get the news you are uninformed, if you get the news you are misinformed in spades.

And AI is in it's infancy so just wait till that kicks in full on. Propaganda is booming industry. Facebook, twitter, Instagram, influencers, 24 hour news cycle, 500 channels and nothing is on.

Why is it that someone is constantly trying to tell us how to live every moment of our lives. The desire for power is a sickness I cannot understand. Control everything and everybody.

It all boggles the mind to the point that sanity can only be achieved by dropping out. I just want to be left alone.

Shrek

WKR
You know, you have some good words here that point to a direction towards factions. It worries me that people will be lead astray from the common truth, learn to ignore facts, and then run rampant. My concern is that these social media platforms can be used to create factions that can destroy governments. The founding fathers of our Constitution were very concerned about factions, and rightfully so.
The factions really started to multiply with the ‘65 immigration law. Bringing in millions of people who have no common culture is the foundation of factions and Balkanization in this country. We froze immigration in the ‘20s because we had a huge population of Italian immigrants that were culturally different enough that they were not assimilating well. It too well into the 60’s for that community to assimilate well and they were European and Christian. Black Americans have never fully assimilated into our culture and to this day most live in isolated enclaves. Look at the strife around the world and it’s delineated by culture and race mostly. Even the relatively closely related religious culture of Prodestant and Catholic Ireland is enough to generate bloody civil war. Shoving Muslim Somolians together with Scandinavian Americans is sure to bring peace and prosperity. Immigration needs to be completely halted for as long as it takes for our country to culturally assimilate our current Balkanized culture. Social media only highlights the existence of the factions.

ODB

WKR
The scale of the manipulation is truly shocking. Then to hear those High tech execs severely limiting their own children's access to social media is extremely telling.

I've sat in on one of these classes at Stanford when my daughter was there a few years ago..........it was an eye opener.
The scary thing is that the people in charge of big tech know how manipulative it is because they hired people to make it such. In a way, it is a literal war on people; subterfuge of human chemistry and weakness for profit. Warmongering, if you will.

Diesel

WKR
I fear for the younger folks' future. It is already near impossible to sort out what path to take. Who to trust, who to believe. The more choices the less we are sure and confident.

Social media is just loud noise.

Shrek

WKR
Unibomber wasn't so crazy, bombings excluded.
No , he wasn’t. Bombings were haphazard and ineffective. We’re just an evolutionary heartbeat away from our nomadic hunter gatherer primate past. We’re just very clever hairless apes who may very well be too clever for our own good.

Beendare

WKR
Warmongering, if you will.
Yep, exactly....weaponizing media for their own gain.....[we are seeing that in spades right now] and using your own information to manipulate you.

Kudos to the folks that did this documentary ...though if you notice....the folks they profiled all made their money first....then blew the whistle later.

CharlieTX

FNG
Im on Facebook generally enjoying cruising through the marketplace since Craigslist is near extinction , I enjoy Instagram , but there is BS on both that I could do without seeing, haven’t yet seen the show/movie but I don’t watch much TV any how

Just got done watching, after I deleted my Facebook earlier. I should’ve deleted it a decade sooner.

Thankfully my wife swore it off years ago. Said it was the devil. As per usual, she was right.

zacattack

WKR
I started watching today. Will be deactivating and deleting all social media tonight. It’s literally like modern slavery, but we don’t know we are being bought and sold to the highest bidder. Frick all that.

Gobbler36

WKR
The factions really started to multiply with the ‘65 immigration law. Bringing in millions of people who have no common culture is the foundation of factions and Balkanization in this country. We froze immigration in the ‘20s because we had a huge population of Italian immigrants that were culturally different enough that they were not assimilating well. It too well into the 60’s for that community to assimilate well and they were European and Christian. Black Americans have never fully assimilated into our culture and to this day most live in isolated enclaves. Look at the strife around the world and it’s delineated by culture and race mostly. Even the relatively closely related religious culture of Prodestant and Catholic Ireland is enough to generate bloody civil war. Shoving Muslim Somolians together with Scandinavian Americans is sure to bring peace and prosperity. Immigration needs to be completely halted for as long as it takes for our country to culturally assimilate our current Balkanized culture. Social media only highlights the existence of the factions.
Truer words have never been said