There can be only 1 .270 / 30.06 / .300 win All nib unfired Tikka T3 Hunters

It appears from his thread title that he has all three, each a T3 wood stocked.

I‘d vote to keep all 3. Unless he needs to sell 2 to fund a trip!
He's being a little unclear, and didn't mention distance on shots and other factors. At this point, we're all just throwing opinions into the pot.
I'd still say if the choice is keep the 270, or buy a new 30-06, that's really a no brainer.

FWIW, I killed that 6x7 herd bull in my avatar with a 270, complete pass through at 163 yards.

With modern bullets and powders for .270 Win is a much bigger gun than it used to be.

Over the past 15 years it has become my go to for everything in North America.

OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see how spending money on a new 30-06 makes sense compared to already owning a 270. What's your guys thoughts for that? A 270 with hot nosler's is a killing machine, lightweight, and he already has one.
I have 2 .270 's / 1 30.06 / 1 .300 win , all Tikka T3 Hunters all nib unfiired. (.300 WBY MK V as back up in the safe) That is why I'm torn between what to keep considering the possibility of the .300 win covering all possible North American Game adjusting loads as needed.

OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Big fan of 270 here.... and it's plenty capable for elk also. And I expect it to only get better in the coming years with the new cartridge/bullet offerings coming out.
TY for the reply.
This journey began in June w/the .270 as the cal. I thought would be most in the wheel house. The other Tikkas came to be as I went down the Bass Pro rabbit hole and bought the last 4 T3 Hunters in the lower 48 on clearence and had them sent to my local store. The MK V came about because I am a left handed woodworker and a lefty Deluxe came up for sale about 4 hrs. away. (for $850. I could not pass it up.) My main concern as of now is a little more energy and reach for the .300 win. vs the .270.

OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
He's being a little unclear, and didn't mention distance on shots and other factors. At this point, we're all just throwing opinions into the pot.
I'd still say if the choice is keep the 270, or buy a new 30-06, that's really a no brainer.

FWIW, I killed that 6x7 herd bull in my avatar with a 270, complete pass through at 163 yards.
TY for the reply.
I was not sure as to range of shot as I have never been out west. I have never lived in a state that allowed the use of a rifle. We were limited to shotgun/ ML in Indiana.
This journey began in June w/the .270 as the cal. I thought would be most in rhe wheel house. The other Tikkas came to be as I went down the Bass Pro rabbit hole and bought the last 4 T3 Hunters in the lower 48 on clearence and had them sent to my local store. The MK V came about because I am a left handed woodworker and a lefty Deluxe came up for sale about 4 hrs. away. (for $850. I could not pass it up.) My main concern as of now is a little more energy and reach for the .300 win. vs the .270.

OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
How far are you shooting? 270 is a great killer and usually the rifles are super light weight. In Idaho, up north anyways, my family have all put the bigger boomers back in the gun safes and we've went back to smaller calibers in lighter rifles. If you're shooting under 300 yards and in the timber, a 270 with a good bullet is a beast.
TY for the reply.
I was not sure as to range of shot as I have never been out west. I have never lived in a state that allowed the use of a rifle. We were limited to shotgun/ ML in Indiana.
This journey began in June w/the .270 as the cal. I thought would be most in rhe wheel house. The other Tikkas came to be as I went down the Bass Pro rabbit hole and bought the last 4 T3 Hunters in the lower 48 on clearence and had them sent to my local store. The MK V came about because I am a left handed woodworker and a lefty Deluxe came up for sale about 4 hrs. away. (for $850. I could not pass it up.) My main concern as of now is a little more energy and reach for the .300 win. vs the .270.

OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Keep the 270 to compliment the 300 weatherby
TY for the reply.
Could be the solution as I am a lefty and was lucky enough to find a lefty Deluxe and I can't see letting it go. If this is he way to go I would put a synthetic stock on the MKV for field use if a trip out west is ever realized. The .270 would be sufficient for all other hunting given my location/topography.

Last edited:
OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone knows a 30-06 will kill better than a 270 :)

TY for your reply.
Forgive me as I am a noob to rifle hunting as the state I grew up hunting did not allow rifles for deer. I was a little concerned about drop of a 30-06 vs .270 or .300 win.. This is mainly in my thoughts if I ever get out west where reach could become a factor.

My main concern as of now is a little more energy and reach for the .300 win. vs the .270.
99% of people are going to shoot live game within distance where both will kill just fine. Being relatively new to rifle hunting, I can't fathom shooting at elk far enough to make up the difference between the 300win and a 270. I'd be much more concerned about the additional recoil and stout-ness of jumping into rifle hunting with a 300 win then being able to reach beyond 270 capabilities.

fwafwow

WKR
If you want to start by process of elimination, I'd personally return the 300WM, as I don't see why you need it if you already have (and are keeping) the 300 Weatherby. FYI/FWIW - https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2020/10/3/head-to-head-300-win-mag-vs-300-wby-mag/

As between 270 and 30-06 you will see above that quite a few are emphatic about one or the other, so I don't think you can go wrong. And yes the 30-06 will kick more and fall more quickly, BUT that statement is usually correct when comparing the most common bullet weights for the 270 and '06 (130 and 150, respectively). If you keep the bullet and rifle weights the same, the two results are much closer.

Just get both. If you don't, someone one here will surely buy the other but you will at some point regret it!

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
.30-06

If you've got your heart set on a .300 win mag and have any handloading aspirations, get it in something other than a Tikka.

WyoKid

WKR
Take either the 300 or 30-06....and sell me the 270....

... seriously, I've been shooting a old Ruger 77 tang safety 270 since I was 16 and had to only shoot 2 elk twice, countless deer and antelope, coyotes and a moose - the Elk didn't need it but since they were still up, so I gave him another one in the boiler maker.......

ive shot whitetails, mule deer, elk, and canadian moose with my tikka .270 shooting 140 accubonds. I never felt undergunned the moose didnt know what hit him. My vote is keep the .270

OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
You moved too soon, we can use rifles in Indiana now!! 😁
Was born and raised in Monroe County and was very lucky to have 60 acres of rough field w/pond and 40 acres of woods behind that over our backyard fence. In my teens my father bought a 100 acres about 30 of crops and the rest woods and creek bottom. Soon after my brother bought 200 acres very similar to my fathers and just 2 miles away. (very spoiled as to access). I always thought rifles should have been ok to use in the northern 1/2 of the state on a by county basis do to being so flat compaired to southern Indiana.

OP
H

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Take either the 300 or 30-06....and sell me the 270....

... seriously, I've been shooting a old Ruger 77 tang safety 270 since I was 16 and had to only shoot 2 elk twice, countless deer and antelope, coyotes and a moose - the Elk didn't need it but since they were still up, so I gave him another one in the boiler maker.......
I have 2 .270's both NIB unfired T3 Hunters and after reading all the great feedback I will be keeping only one of them.