Thinking of building a 6.5 PRC

mcseal2

WKR
I didn't want to hi jack the other thread so I started my own.

I'm considering re-barreling my old favorite rifle to the 6.5 PRC. It is a custom off a Winchester Classic 70 in stainless. It currently has a walnut thumbhole stock and a Wyatt extended mag box. It has a Montana #4 barrel on it currently in 264 win mag. I've been shooting 140gr Berger VLD's at 2914fps and have been very happy with how they work on deer and antelope at this speed. The round count on this barrel is getting high but it is still shooting well. I'm just thinking if I want to try something different I should start the process so I have time to find a load and get a lot of practice in before fall.

This rifle currently weighs in at about 10.5lbs with glass. If I rebuild it I would like to drop that a bit. I would also like to change the stock to a synthetic with a more vertical grip. I'd like to end up with a ready to hunt weight of around 9lbs. That's with gun, glass, sling, and ammo. I have a Mcmillian Gamescout on a 243 and would like a stock along those lines but maybe with the Edge fill if they will do it. I have a scope for it that weighs 22oz.

The primary use of this rifle would be deer and antelope hunting out to 600 yards. I would practice further but that's as far as I'm comfortable shooting at game as of now. I have a 300 win mag already that I like for bigger game than that. I'd like to shoot the 140gr Berger or ELD-X at over 2900fps but keep the rifle as short and handy as possible while doing this. This rifle would probably go on most elk hunts as a back-up to my 300 win, and the 300 win would go on deer or antelope hunts as a back-up to this one.

What barrel brand, length, and twist would you go with?

What stock would you go with?

I'm just throwing out ideas now, I'm not really set on anything just yet. I would like to use this action. I prefer the 3 position Winchester safety and like the idea of re-building my favorite rifle. I don't really want to build a new one and have this one just sit in the safe. I've taken this rifle on a lot of trips and taken a lot of game with it.

One of my favorite pics of my rifle as it currently is from 2010. The scope has changed since then but nothing else.

030.JPG

Last edited:

ofl0926

WKR
Hit up Mike from Hells Canyon. He is building a 6.5prc and he has a lot of knowledge on rifle building and the cartridge itself.
He can point you in the right direction with your build. Manners or McMillan are choices for a good stock. But definitely hit Mike up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I like your idea, find a good Smith and go from there but you know that. This would be the stock I’d go with if building one today https://agcomposites.com/stock/10/ag-privateer

I have a McMillian Game Hunter with Edge fill, picked mine up here to skip the wait but not sure you can get past that with your action https://redhawkrifles.com/mcmillan-game-hunter-remington-700/

I really like my proof barrel but may rebarrel a Howa .223 with a Carbon Six 16” or 18” barrel in their featherweight contour, I like they have a good selection of barrel lengths for a carbon barrel. This is in a McMillian Game Scout and if you like the Game Scout I think you’ll like the Game Hunter. https://carbonsixllc.com/learn/

I like that CarbonSix will thread, chamber and barrel the action for their barrel for a decent price.

Now I don’t know what length etc to recommend for the 6.5prc but I’m sure there have been a few tests of optimal length.

Last edited:
I see Broz is singing adg praise.

Heard good things about Bertram.

Comparable to lapua??

It’s times it feel like you could piss in a lapua brass case and get good groups... But competition is a good thing.

I have a Win CRF 300 WSM in a McMillan Game Scout, and have several Manners EH-1’s on Tikkas and Remington clones. They are all great options. I prefer the look of the EH-1 in Swamp camo over the McMillan options. I also prefer the profile of the bottom of the butt stock on the Manners; it fits a sand bag better. However, the McMillan is very light and comfortable. A Proof Sendero Light is probably max diameter on the McMillan, where the sky is the limit on the Manners. Vertical grip stocks are the only way to go in my experience.

I just bought a Seekins Havak in PRC. I have t even got it yet, but I did receive the ADG brass. It has been touted as great brass. It looks like very good quality stuff.

I use Bertram brass in my 7mm WSM and it’s tough stuff. Of the 100 cases I culled 2 cases that were not within 1% in weight. I’ve heard terrible things about Bertram 28 Nosler brass though.

I would guess ballistics wise you’ll be real close between the PRC and the 264 WM.

I had a Carbonsix Sendero contour blank but ended up never using it. I’m sure they’re good stuff. I’ve have great results with Proof Sendero and Sendero Light contours. You could also get a Bartlein 3b, 3, or 2b from Area 419 and they’ll spiral flute it in like 1-2 days for an extra $100! Nothing looks more custom than a spiral barrel.

ofl0926

WKR
I see Broz is singing adg praise.

Heard good things about Bertram.

Comparable to lapua??

It’s times it feel like you could piss in a lapua brass case and get good groups... But competition is a good thing.

They are saying adg are on par with lapua. People who have ordered it is saying it’s extremely consistent

Proof barrel 24” 8 twist if you want to shoot 140-147s 7 twist if you want 150/156 grain bullets.

My proof sendero 24” 8 twist weighs 46 ounces chambered (PRC)

I went with a Manners and like it

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
How many rounds on your current barrel? What are you hoping to gain going with the prc? What’s your budget?

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
If it was my rifle I would put a lighter stock on and chamber a Brux # 3 1/7 twist or a fluted # 4 in a 264 win. The 264 can hit 3150 to 3200 hundred with retumbo, or you can run it at 2900 ish. You also have the option to shoot the heavy 147/160 grain bullets at fairly fast speeds 2900 +

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Current barrel is around 1200 rounds. Budget is $2500 or so for the stock and rebarrel.

Really not looking to gain anything but a lighter rifle and fresh barrel with time to get a load perfected before fall.

I have another heavy barrel 264 that pushes a 143 ELD-X at 3240fps. When weight isnt an issue i use it.

Thanks everyone.

N2TRKYS

WKR
A guy I know built a 6.5 prc off of a M70 WSM action. He likes running his bullets long and said that he didn't have any issues. I don't know if that helps you, but just passing it along.

A guy I know built a 6.5 prc off of a M70 WSM action. He likes running his bullets long and said that he didn't have any issues. I don't know if that helps you, but just passing it along.

The M70 WSM actions can accommodate longer COAL than any other factory short action i'm aware of. I believe they can go as long as 3.1" with spacers removed in some of them.

codym

WKR
manners EH1with elite fill and a proof carbon wrapped 8 twist. If it were me I would try to find a standard bolt face and go 6.5x284.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Well I ended up deciding I should stick with my current barrel for now. It is still shooting well and I have a lot of good brass for the 264 win mag. I talked to some guys who go through more rounds than I do that said I should be able to run it for a while longer shooting my mild load, and not doing high volume shooting.

I did order a Manners EH1 stock. It will have the Elite fill and be in their desert sage camo pattern. They are a while out on a custom stock, but said in 3 months they should be caught up and back to doing orders like that. I'm on the list now and will drop my action off in KC when I travel that direction next. They were very good to deal with.

The rifle will be at about 9.6lbs with the scope, sling, and 4 rounds loaded. It will be a little heavier than I had wanted but will be a heck of a nice rifle I think. When this barrel does go out I'll look at options and already have a stock it can be fitted in.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Article 4

WKR
The PRC is a great round and to get to most out of that round ballistically I would recommend:

Nothing shorter than a 24" in an 8 twist. You may consider a 7.5 twist for the higher BC heavier bullets if you want to eventually shoot our past 600 yards...which if you have a ballistically superior round/rifle like this, becomes more in range very soon.
Barrel makers I have confidence in, having run them in 6.5's - Bartlein, PROOF, Krieger, and Lilja. Pick one and you cannot go wrong

For a hunting stock, I recommend AG composites. You can buy off the shelf or design your own