Thoughts on best pack for a 4-5 day hunt.

Twerre87

FNG
Hello, I'm new to the site and I'm looking for suggestions as to which pack people are running and potentially why you went that route. My buddy and I are planning a 4 to 5 day pack in hunt. We will be staying in tents. Which is another topic on its own which one to choose there, but for now let's focus on packs. Any suggestions would be great. I know a good pack will be expensive, but I want something that will be comfortable too. Thanks in advance.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been really happy with the mystery ranch selway 60. I use it fairly often for those time frames. I like that it zips all the way open so I can access the bottom of the pack without dumping it. It's also still pretty comfortable with 90lbs in it. There are a lot of good packs out. If you can find a good outdoors store to try a few on that would be best. Everyone is built different. Good luck.

colby12

WKR
Second SG 5900. Although from asking a similar question last year there are many good options out there for the same price range. All of the companies you will hear about have good customer service and will answer any questions you may have. Explore some of the old threads, there are quite a few with this information and reasons behind the choices.

OP
T

Twerre87

FNG
Thanks guys, I haven't heard of the stone glacier until the other day. I've done some looking and they do have some nice looking products.

Maverick1

WKR
Something in the 5000ci range. With an adjustable suspension, quality waist belt, and functional load lifters.

Planning ahead, consider something a little bit larger if your trips extend past the timeframe you indicated.

Also consider if you will use this pack for hauling out the first (and/or) subsequent loads of meat.

Good luck!

Jimss

WKR
Mavericks post is right on the $! I always say bigger is better. Smaller packs aren’t designed for 50+ lb loads plus bulk. The new materials used for larger bags plus frames aren’t much more than small ones. You can always cinch down a large bag but you’re screwed if you don’t have room.

With that said, buy top of the line kifaru or stone glacier and you’ll be set for life!

Wapiti151

WKR
I think there are a TON of great packs on the market these days…but another SG suggestion here. A lot depends on if you’re solo or hunting with a buddy to split gear. But, instead if the 5900 I would suggest either the 6900 or 7900 on the X-curve. You aren’t sacrificing much on weight with either one, but you get a lot more flexibility. These still cinch down to nothing for day hunts, but what if you want to do a 10 day hunt in a few years…or what if you’re doing a solo 5-7 day hunt in bitter cold? I’m on the bigger is better team. These packs aren’t cheap, get one that’ll do it all. I did the opposite…started with the 5900, then ended up getting a 7900 as well. Love my 5900, but if I had it all to do over again I would have just started with the 69 or 7900 and been happy.

For context, I used my 5900 on a 6 day hunt in Alaska with temps down to the teens at night earlier this month. But, I was with a buddy and we split gear so I didn’t have a shelter or wood stove in my bag, and we didn’t need to bring water on the island…it was pretty damn full after food.

Kuiu pro , Kifaru , Exo mountain gear , Stone Glacier , In no particular order these are some of the top hunting packs. All have things you will like and dislike. Look em over and choose one. They all have very good customer service and will usually take unused packs back in a certain time frame if you dont like it.

Ive tried most all ive mentioned and Ive stuck with the Kifaru.

Wapiti151

WKR
Hello, I'm new to the site and I'm looking for suggestions as to which pack people are running and potentially why you went that route. My buddy and I are planning a 4 to 5 day pack in hunt. We will be staying in tents. Which is another topic on its own which one to choose there, but for now let's focus on packs. Any suggestions would be great. I know a good pack will be expensive, but I want something that will be comfortable too. Thanks in advance.
And I’d throw out either hilleberg or seek for your shelter depending on what your looking for. Seek’s hot tents are damn hard to beat in the winter.

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve been happy with my EXO 6400!
Great customer service from the staff at EXO. But don’t be afraid to get bigger bag. I like the extra room

OP
T

Twerre87

FNG
Thanks for all the great advice guys!!! I'm so glad I joined the forum. I do like the idea of maybe looking into a bigger bag and cinch it down if needed. I can't wait till next fall.

I'm not a backpacker, but I'll throw out mystery ranch Beartooth 80. You can swap the bag to smaller models with the single frame.

I assume other companies do this as well, but I like this modular approach to cut down on storage clutter...

I have tried a bunch. EXO is where I stopped looking. Great pack and great people.

I also have a Barneys frame for packing.

But EXO is a fantastic pack. Well thought out and is simple. I could not be more satisfied. I will never need another pack.

madcalfe

WKR
stone glacier or kifaru
and get a bag around 6500ci+
its easier to make a bag smaller than it is bigger ;)
I use my stone glacier 6900 or my kifaru hoodlum as a day pack without any issue.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Eberlestock F-1 mainframe pack. Have the batwings and dry bag personally but very customizable to whatever your hunting situation and a great veteran owned company!

Drenalin

WKR
I’d suggest a minimum 4800 ci bag for 4-5 days, but as others have pointed out, a bigger bag gives you insurance and cinches down fine. That’s if you get a pack with a meat shelf, if you’re going meat in bag get a big bag. I’d add Exo and Seek Outside to your list to check out. Seek fits me best and is insanely versatile, but I like Exo’s 4800 a lot and their frame fits me well also. I’ve also tried MR, Kifaru and Kuiu.