Thumb release or index finger

Personally I prefer to hunt with an index finger release over a thumb. Although I have hunted with a thumb in the past. Based on what you said about your anchor I am guessing that you are shooting a draw length that is too long by as much as an inch. I know plenty of guys trying to use their thumb behind their neck as an anchor. I use my jaw bone in the gap between my thumb and index finger.

IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_8305-1.jpg

Even with a face mask on this gives you a solid consistent anchor and keeps the string off your face providing a cleaner more consistent arrow release off the string.

Note the length of my release as well its short!

IMG_8325.jpg

Shorter index releases allow you to get the most out of your draw AND allow you to shoot with back tension. Read my article on triggers Rifle VS Archery if you haven't yet. With 15+ years of competitive rifle shooting experience trust me on this one....DON'T SHOOT THEM THE SAME WAY!

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-12-00/firearms/176-rifle-vs-archery-trigger

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Evan, thats a great pic of how the release should be on the finger, if most guys that dont like them would shorten them up like that so they can use there back more instead of the tip of the finger it would change there mind.

Yea I have seen pics of Cameron Hanes anchoring with his thumb behind his neck. It's amazing how having the proper draw length can make such a big difference on accuracy.

swat8888

WKR
Appreciate the pics, much more useful than just explaining something. I went out today and shortened up my release as, like your article mentioned, I was shooting it like it was a gun. It did seem alot smoother and more surprising when the shot went off using the shorter release and modified trigger squeeze.

swat8888,

I hope that that helps your decision. After a while you will be able to "command the shot" as Randy Ulmer would say. When the situation calls for it you will have the muscle memory and body control to shoot that shot with greater accuracy and when needed speed without punching!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great thread guys. Evan, thanks for the pictures. I'll be shortening my Wiseguy for tomorrow night's shooting session! : )

Last edited:
OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Evan - Awesome pictures! Thank you for taking the time to take the pics and post with the explanation. I will try that method today.

Maybe too late to switch this year as I leave. Friday morning at 2am for my hunt. Two deer tags fill and the season is over for me. I will be coming to see you in a couple months for a whole new set up.

Matt

High Country -- Factory setting should be use fine. Once you get the length set to get a good wrap make sure you are close to your target in case it is just a hair light and goes off "early".

Matt -- Yeah as close as you are to your hunt i wouldn't be making any changes like this right now. Wait until you get nack and then we'll work on it!!! I'll be looking for you in the shop!!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I adjusted the length settings last night. You are right, it does go off rather surprisingly quick! I think one more night of adjustments and I'll be good to go. I think I made it just a tad short as I had more of my finger over the trigger than in your pic.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Evan - back from my hunts and starting to make changes. I have always placed the tip of my nose on the string. Is this a bad practice? I can't tell from your above photos if your nose is off the string. I ask because of your statement below that picture of keeping your face off the string.

I have shortened my release and changed my anchor point today. It feels strange. I have 9 months to get it dialed in for next year.

Thanks Evan!

Matt

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Evan, I have also found that my peep site is now tow high on my string by changing my release and anchor points. Is that something that you would expect?

Matt

J-Daddy

WKR
Evan is right on all of that...If you do anchor with your thumb behind your neck your draw is probably to long...Also his form pics are spot on as far as anchor points go and setting the release length short so you can wrap your finger around the trigger.
As far as the thumb release, I shoot them a lot and shoot an index finger a lot...Honestly I shoot better with the thumb release since I tend to get a little punchy with an index finger at times, lol. I hunted with an index this fall but next year I'm going back to a thumb release all the time just because I'm less likely to punch the shot as much.
As far as the sore fingers go when shooting a thumb release...Your hands toughen up after a while like Coop said, I draw with most of the weight on my index finger "comes from shooting hinge releases" and I've got a big callus on my index finger because of it.

J-Daddy

WKR
Evan, I have also found that my peep site is now tow high on my string by changing my release and anchor points. Is that something that you would expect?

Matt

I'll answer that..lol..Yeah that's normal, your anchor point and peep height will change a lot of the time when switching from an index to a thumb release. My peep height is always higher when shooting an index finger release than it is with a thumb release.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I have messed with the whipper snapper some and I just can't find a comfortable anchor. Maybe it is because my peep is too high like you guys are saying.

J-Daddy

WKR
I have messed with the whipper snapper some and I just can't find a comfortable anchor. Maybe it is because my peep is too high like you guys are saying.

If your coming from a wrist strap/index finger release I'd say that's it...Also, a lot of people see pics of guys shooting a hand held with their release hand really twisted around a lot and they try to duplicate that. That works for certain people but not everyone, I know it doesn't work for me at all...I anchor with my jaw bone setting in between my index finger & middle "bird" finger knuckles. My release hand it still pretty flat out, almost like it sets with an index finger release and it's not all twisted up where you could see the palm of my hand if you were looking at me from the side...I tried the twisted up version years ago cause I saw guys doing it, didn't work and I couldn't get a good anchor...Saw some old pics of John Dudley shooting and realized you don't have to roll your hand up as much so I copied his anchor and it worked A LOT better for me...With the edge of the lower jaw bone between those 2 knuckles it's a rock solid anchor and easy to repeat...Even with a face mask on it it's easy to find, you just have to make sure your peep height is right.

I'm back guys!! Sorry its been a long few weeks around the springs and home for me in Kansas. Matt tip of the nose on the string!!! You are right on with that and J-daddy hit things spot on with his responses. Making the changes that we are working on with you yes I would expect your peep height to now be incorrect.

I'll get some photos up here before the end of the week shooting my thumb and my hinge to show what J-daddy is talking about on the hand position with a hand held release.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Thanks Evan. I have not changed release aids but I have taken the slack out of my release. In doing so my peep doesn't align properly. I was done last weekend and misses you. Ahot a number of different bows. Going out today again to a local shop as they have a bow I do want to shoot. Thanks for your help J-Daddy as well!

Matt

Mckinnon

WKR
After reading this thread I have started moving my trigger finger on my release and oh boy does it make a difference. First time I tried I missed pretty bad because the arrow went off way before I thought, but after that I my groups were tighter at all distances. Thanks for all the info!