Thumb release or index finger

J-Daddy

WKR
I'll throw a little more info "or opinion" in on shooting a t-handle...I'm sure plenty will not agree with this but for me a cheap hand held isn't worth spending the cash on...I know over on Archerytalk it seems millions of people like releases like the TRU Ball Pro Diamond and the one TRU Fire makes "can't remember the name of it"...Here's the problem, to light of a trigger and way to much trigger travel. For me a good thumb release has to be heavy with no movement...Light & a lot of travel ends up with me jerking/punching the thumb barrel cause I start to anticipate the shot going off to much...With a heavy spring & no travel I pull through the shot better and never know when the shot is gonna break because I can't "feel" the thumb barrel moving. A release is one of those things where you really get what you pay for.

Right there with you J-Daddy!! Before I learned to shoot a thumb correctly I had a Pro Diamond and not playing with it all I do it look at it and grab my Carter Target 3!! I hate creep in my triggers (ANY of my triggers). ROK solid then next thing I know that arrow is sailing down range!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trigger travel + time = target panic

I also prefer a heavier trigger pull and zero travel. I'm not familar with the releases you mentioned J-Daddy, but if you can't adjust tension and travel, I would definitely consider spending a few more bucks and getting a release with a high quality double sear mechanism.

Coop

J-Daddy

WKR
Trigger travel + time = target panic

I also prefer a heavier trigger pull and zero travel. I'm not familar with the releases you mentioned J-Daddy, but if you can't adjust tension and travel, I would definitely consider spending a few more bucks and getting a release with a high quality double sear mechanism.

Coop

Coop, those Pro Diamonds and other cheaper hand helds are not a dual sear design like most of the releases that WE shoot...They work more like a caliper release with some springs and dual jaws that open up. No real tension or travel adjustments in them since they don't have replacement springs or magnets. I bought one years ago and hated it, heard everyone rave about them so thought I got a junk one so I bought another one and it was a piece of crap too....After I dirt tuned them a few times they went on the chopping block and I swore off cheap hand helds after that...If it doesn't say Hot Shot, Carter or Stan on it I won't buy it now days. I always loved Carter releases but I gotta say that that Hot Shot Tempest 3 finger is my all time favorite release. The thumb barrel is the seller on it, it's made a lot like a Stan and you can position it exactly where you want it.
Those Pro Diamonds and the TRU Fire will run in the $80-$110 range from what I've seen...I'd rather buy a used Hot Shot, Carter, Stan online for $150 than one of those for $100...I agree with your equation as well
Trigger Travel + time = target panic is dead on...Plus it always ended up with me bouncing the release off the ground a few hundred times and a couple lost arrows as well...lol

Slim Jim

WKR
Hey guys, great thread. I too am looking to go with a thumb release. I have been shooting bows for a couple of years now and have always used the index finger releases. Lately my wrist has been popping when I draw kinda of like when pulling on your finger to pop it. I have noticed a lot of the serious archers use the thumb and it is sounding a lot more appealing to me as of lately. After I get back from my archery hunt in AZ next month I am going to start shopping for a thumb release. J-daddy, I see the three you have suggested. Are their any others comparable?

J-Daddy

WKR
Hey guys, great thread. I too am looking to go with a thumb release. I have been shooting bows for a couple of years now and have always used the index finger releases. Lately my wrist has been popping when I draw kinda of like when pulling on your finger to pop it. I have noticed a lot of the serious archers use the thumb and it is sounding a lot more appealing to me as of lately. After I get back from my archery hunt in AZ next month I am going to start shopping for a thumb release. J-daddy, I see the three you have suggested. Are their any others comparable?

Those are the 3 companies I'd stick with personally...Honestly you won't find as many people shooting Hot Shots as you will Carter but having owned numerous models of Carters I'll say that the Hot Shot is right there with them and they have great customer service. Main thing is to find one that fits your hand right and is comfortable. Hot Shot has the Tempest and the new Eclipse line, same release inside but the new Eclipse models have a curved handle...I kinda like the straight handle on the Tempest....You also have to figure if you like 3 or 4 finger...Personally I like a 3 finger, I pull through the shot better with a 3 finger...With a 4 finger I tend to cheat and pull the release around with my pinky more than with my back muscles...With a 3 finger I fire it with my back muscles.
Carter has a ton of great options out there too...Just a matter of finding one that fits you right. Problem I've had with some of the Carters is that I don't have huge hands and a lot of their releases don't fit me very well.

Slim Jim

WKR
It makes since to curve a four finger for the purpose of pulling thru the shot like a three finger to let your pinky curve back. So I guess it's the Tempest three finger or eclipse four finger whichever is cheaper. Thanks J-d

J-Daddy

WKR
It makes since to curve a four finger for the purpose of pulling thru the shot like a three finger to let your pinky curve back. So I guess it's the Tempest three finger or eclipse four finger whichever is cheaper. Thanks J-d

If your buying new I think they are the same price at most places.