Thumb release

Huddy

FNG
Hello all, I am trying to switch from wrist caliper to a thumb release and having issues with my groups being left @ 2". Has anyone had this happen to them? Bow is timed and center shot is good.

Ac338

WKR
Hard to give you a definitive answer without being there but I would guess it has to do with your anchor point changing when you switch to a thumb release and or a face pressure difference.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

TBHasler

WKR
If you’ve recently made the switch, give it some time shooting. Your anchor pt is often a bit different vs wrist. When your confident with shot execution and still hitting left, start adjusting sight

OP
H

Huddy

FNG
Hard to give you a definitive answer without being there but I would guess it has to do with your anchor point changing when you switch to a thumb release and or a face pressure difference.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking, but kisser and peep seem to feel the same and trying to adjust my release grip some also. Thanks for the input. I'll keep hammering.

2blade

WKR
I tried to shoot a thumb for yrs because I liked the fact I could drop the thing in my pocket and not have it strapped to my wrist all the time. After a few yrs of consistently being inconsistent, I went back to an index trigger.

Best of Luck to ya!

OP
H

Huddy

FNG
Thanks for the reply, i am getting good groups with it just 2" left of where my wrist caliper shoots, guess it's these sausage fingers changing anchor point. Figure 2" at 20yds will be way more at longer distance than I'm willing to change for. Center shot, paper tune and pins line up good now and didn't want to meds up this setup.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Same issue when I switch releases. On mine the hooks are facing opposite directions which accounts for the POI change, I have marks on my sight for each release so in a few clicks I can be hitting spot on when I make a change

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
It changes because your anchor is different. If your form and anchor is consistent you won't notice it making a further straying the further out you are. I was an inch or two left at 30 yards. I adjusted my sight and shoot better with my thumb than I ever did with a wrist rocket. It takes time to learn and be used to the change but can be worth it.

I eased into it, I would shoot my wrist rocket, then practice a few dozen using a thumb with back tension when I was done.

Brendan

WKR
I personally don't have a change - I can switch between Index, Thumb, Hinge, and tension release without changing anything.

But in your case - it has to be different anchor and facial pressure with one of the two releases. Try focusing on very light facial pressure, sting lightly on the tip of your nose, and don't bury it into your cheek. But, at the end of the day, as long as it's repeatable you can adjust the sight unless you plan on switching back and forth.

NYSKIER

WKR
Could you be dropping the bow or peeking? You might need to adjust strength length to make sure you are comfortable and at the right draw. As everyone above have mentioned you've got different anchor points now.

OP
H

Huddy

FNG
Not dropping or peeking, just grouping 2" left of wrist strap caliper, I think it's because of hand position at anchor. Thanks for the input.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried shooting at a greater distance? If the bow is properly tuned, adjusting the site a bit should put you right back on regardless. I would adjust the site and see how it goes. If it doesn’t help just move it back and no harm done.

I have a similar issue since making the switch, but mine is inconsistent. I'm torquing the bow every few shots and throwing arrows a few inches right. I can almost feel it happen but can't stop it. It may be in my bow hand grip...

dkime

WKR

Close. Take it from a guy who has designed these fancy “string let go” devices. Anchor point is one thing but changing from a dual caliper index finger release to an open hook index finger release will do the same thing. It has to do with the jaw swing of your release, if you switch from a hinge to a thumb button and they have opposite handed jaw swings of the release, it’ll cause the same thing. Move your sight. Keep shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Huddy

FNG
Both are dual hinged jaws, has to be hand position in relation to anchor point. Thanks for the reply.

Gen273

WKR
Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get different point of impact.

Yes, it usually does. Not always, but often. If the bow is tuned perfect and form is consistent there will be less effect on arrow impact. Maybe no impact change at all. However, often when the anchor changes so does one's form and or grip, and that causes the difference in impact. At least that's been my experience in 30 years of archery. Most bows I can switch between the handheld and wrist strap without impact change, some bows I can't.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Yes, it usually does. Not always, but often. If the bow is tuned perfect and form is consistent there will be less effect on arrow impact. Maybe no impact change at all. However, often when the anchor changes so does one's form and or grip, and that causes the difference in impact. At least that's been my experience in 30 years of archery. Most bows I can switch between the handheld and wrist strap without impact change, some bows I can't.

So - you agree, it doesn't necessarily mean different POI?

My point was this - every bow I own (and have owned) will shoot to the same point of impact with Handheld Thumb, Hinge, or Tension, as it will with my index triggers or a wrist-strap hinge. It's definitely possible, but I do have a pretty detailed tuning process, and make a lot of effort not to bury any of the releases into my face and create pressure that differs shot-to-shot.

I think most people shoot index releases with a neck too long, and I also think most people in general have too much facial pressure...

You definitely don't have to do it this way by any means. But it sure is nice to be able to switch releases up for training, practice, hunting and never have to worry about it.