Tikka barrel weight per inch?

BLJ

WKR
Maybe a long shot.

Has anyone weighed the piece of barrel that they have cut form there sporter weight Tikka?
I have a Tikka T3x (blued) in 308 with a 22” barrel. Been debating on going to 18”-19” and I’m curious if anyone has an idea of the weight that will be lost from the barrel chop. Thanks.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Give me a guess??
I’m thinking an ounce and inch (ish).
More concerned about balance than weight loss.

Still probably not enough to effect balance?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I chopped 4.2” off my 30-06 and it was around 4oz

Or was it 4.4”, whatever, I think the barrel was 22.4 and I had it cut back to 18”

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
You knew all along and you were holding back on me. Come on, man. 😁😁

That’s about what I figured. Appreciate it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A Tikka lite barrel in 30 call lost 6.5 ounces going from the factory 22.4 to 16.5 inches and being threaded.

I did not cut it, I'm not sure how much barrel was actually cut off as it depends on how it is measured. I'm pretty sure some factory barrels are measured from tenon to muzzle, but if you measure from bolt face to muzzle (ATF style) the barrel will measure longer.

I saw this on my Kimber. I never bothered measuring my Tikkas before sending them to be cut.

It is very easy to calcuate with an online volumetric calculator and the materials specific gravity. You didn’t need to cut the end off your barrel to find out.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
It is very easy to calcuate with an online volumetric calculator and the materials specific gravity. You didn’t need to cut the end off your barrel to find out.
I’m better with a hacksaw than I am at math. 😁