Tikka build: 270wsm vs 284win?

wildcat33

WKR
Starting a tikka build project. I've always been painfully practical in my caliber choices but in this case Im looking to maximize the performance of the mid-length tikka action with a fast twist 270wsm or long throated 284win. I'd like to keep this a DIY project with prefit barrels if possible. For shouldered prefits, options are limited for reamers. McGowen offers SAAMI spec for both with have short freebore. They will do custom reamer, but at additional cost. Don't want a barrel nut style prefit.

Performance wise, they are very close from my reloading manual. Im looking at the accubond LR; 165gr 270 w/BC=0.620, 168gr 7mm w/BC=0.616. Barnes LRX are close as well. The 270 looks like it will get me about 150fps more V (with 2" more barrel).

Anyone else played around with these builds?

amassi

WKR
The 270wsm ought to outrun the 284 win by substantially more than 150 fps. Nosler shows both with a 24" tube &160s
270wsm-3100
284- 2800 fps
300 fps And with the added bonus of getting to play with some new .277 long range bullets from nosler and berger seems like a win win

Carbon six has prefits and only charges $75 for custom reamer rentals

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah, the WSM case has quite a bit more capacity than the .284 case. 270 WSM is still limited a bit by .277 bullet selection but they still offer impressive ballistics.

I think a 7mm Blaser mag would be about it for "maximizing" a tikka action.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I want to love the 284win (and i already have the dies). I think its day is yet to come, but the 270 is just a bit more in reach and does everything I need. I suppose it just comes down to which donor rifle I can find for cheaper.

I want to love the 284win (and i already have the dies). I think its day is yet to come, but the 270 is just a bit more in reach and does everything I need. I suppose it just comes down to which donor rifle I can find for cheaper.
If you use a magnum action, have you considered the 7 SAUM? Better quality brass availability than the 270, more horsepower than the 284, and an endless supply of slippery 7mm bullets. I’d look into PVA for prefits, they have an extensive reamer list.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
If you use a magnum action, have you considered the 7 SAUM? Better quality brass availability than the 270, more horsepower than the 284, and an endless supply of slippery 7mm bullets. I’d look into PVA for prefits, they have an extensive reamer list.

I haven't bought the donor rifle yet. The chambering might determine the donor, or vice versa. 7saum is a great idea though.

ianpadron

WKR
I'll just toss in that before you decide to get all fancy with the 270WSM, Federal Premium loads 140 grain Berger Classic Hunters that clock in at 3315 FPS out of my 24" CA Ridgeline. 1:10 twist. .528 BC.

That's enough velocity advantage over those 165s that you should at least crunch some numbers before hacking off your barrel.

khuber84

WKR
I wouldn't put the 284 in the same league as the wsm. I'd compare the 7 saum and a 270wsm. The wsm still has 5gr more capacity, BUT adg/gunwerks brass for the saum all but levels the playing field. There are a few decent options for long range 270 now 165 ABLR, 170/175 matrix, 170 Berger. In a 26" 8 twist barrel these will all go 3000+ fps, maybe closer to 3100. A 7 saum with equal weigh bullets in a 26" will do the same speeds.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I wouldn't put the 284 in the same league as the wsm. I'd compare the 7 saum and a 270wsm. The wsm still has 5gr more capacity, BUT adg/gunwerks brass for the saum all but levels the playing field. There are a few decent options for long range 270 now 165 ABLR, 170/175 matrix, 170 Berger. In a 26" 8 twist barrel these will all go 3000+ fps, maybe closer to 3100. A 7 saum with equal weigh bullets in a 26" will do the same speeds.

Yeah, not an apples to apples comparison. More of a mid-length standard BF vs mag BF comparison. Part of the appeal to the 284 is that I dont necessarily need all the performance the wsm offers and like the prospect of running a 22" barrel without too much penalty.

khuber84

WKR
Yeah, not an apples to apples comparison. More of a mid-length standard BF vs mag BF comparison. Part of the appeal to the 284 is that I dont necessarily need all the performance the wsm offers and like the prospect of running a 22" barrel without too much penalty.
7 saum has 9gr less Than a 7wsm, bout 3-4 more than a 284w. It's an excellent case. It would run like a champ in a 22" barrel. They're very accurate design, much like the 284. You just get a lil extra capacity and the brass life with increased case head size.

MeatBuck

WKR
While I don’t have any idea what tikka is, I run a 26” 1-8” twist bbl on my Winchester model70 270wsm. Been playing with 156g hammer hunters and h1000 at around 3040fps. Have a box of 170g Berger’s to play with too but being that I can’t legally kill with them here in California I’ve not shot any yet.
Son put down a blacktail at 300yds this season with the 156g hunters... forward hit but enough to put him down before we could get another round chambered.

Tbuckus

WKR
I would look into a 280ai, 7 SAUM or a 7mmWSM
Your bullet options are better than a .277
My 7wsm is getting 2980FPS with 155gr HH with only a 18” barrel

If you are going tikka action I would go 7 wsm. You will have plenty of length to get its full potential at about 3.1-3.2” COL. The SAUM is ideal in something less than 3”

Will need a custom reamer and throat. The extra powder in WSM will let you Shoot something 180-195 gr with insane BC! And keep the velocity up. Go 1:8 twist

Have you put a rifle together with a “prefit”? I put a Proof prefit on a tikka and it needed minor adjustments to head space 100%. I didn’t think tikka was made with the idea of switching barrels like savage or other custom actions? I have done a couple 700s with a Remage and actually think the nut looks good 😀

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Have you put a rifle together with a “prefit”? I put a Proof prefit on a tikka and it needed minor adjustments to head space 100%. I didn’t think tikka was made with the idea of switching barrels like savage or other custom actions? I have done a couple 700s with a Remage and actually think the nut looks good 😀

Haven't used a tikka prefit yet, but that's the plan. Barrel nut is not out of the question, but I prefer a shouldered barrel. Whether or not I go with a budget option like McGowen or a "prefit" from someone like Bugholes (who measure your receiver) depends on the budget when i get around to ordering it.

McGowen will install the barrel on your action for a very reasonable amount. I had them redo a Ruger M77 MII and worked out well. I don't think they make a nut for Tikka? who does? I would check out the price for McGowen to change the barrel, vs Bugholes cost to custom shoulder. my local smith headspaced the Proof tikka prefit for $125. The remages were easy with my friends tools :LOL: and his knowledge.

JakeSCH

WKR
not sure if anyone else has said this or not but 270 wsm and 284 win have different bolt faces...I would choose a cartridge that fits into the bolt face of your doner tikka.

If you are going tikka action I would go 7 wsm. You will have plenty of length to get its full potential at about 3.1-3.2” COL. The SAUM is ideal in something less than 3”

Will need a custom reamer and throat. The extra powder in WSM will let you Shoot something 180-195 gr with insane BC! And keep the velocity up. Go 1:8 twist

My SAUM with 180 ELDM is touching the lands at around 3.1", The neck/shoulder junction on a 7 WSM is about 0.132" further forward than a SAUM so if throated to have bearing surface above the shoulder junction a WSM would exceed 3.2" to get to the lands.

And SAUM has Norma, Nosler, and ADG brass. WSM has Win (maybe?), Bertram, and Hornady.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
McGowen will install the barrel on your action for a very reasonable amount. I had them redo a Ruger M77 MII and worked out well. I don't think they make a nut for Tikka? who does? I would check out the price for McGowen to change the barrel, vs Bugholes cost to custom shoulder. my local smith headspaced the Proof tikka prefit for $125. The remages were easy with my friends tools :LOL: and his knowledge.

Bummer that you had to pay another 125 to set back the Proof barrel to fit. In distant third place for this build is one of their steel 280ai barrels, but this information doesn't inspire confidence. Did you talk to proof about it?

Glad to hear you had a good experience with McGowen. In this setup, I dont think I need to gnats-ass precision that spending extra on a top shelf cut rifled barrel gets me (which is where I would be at Bugholes).